I counted, 33 smurfs in 10 open queue placement matches

And that was only counting players who had a bronze border with 0 stars as smurfs. Obviously a few of them were legitimate new players, but there were so many obvious 1/2 star border smurfs that didn’t get counted that I’m pretty sure 33 is an underestimate.

There was also a match that got cancelled because our team had an afk, our team also had 2 smurfs and they gave us such an advantage that we won 2 team fights despite being down a player.

I remember a few years ago when I thought seeing 1 smurf every couple of matches was bad, but now we’re averaging more than 3 per lobby which is just unbelievable

13 Likes

Yes the game is dead how is this new information

6 Likes

Note that in Open Q overperforming players aren’t necessarily smurfs.

Due to the lack of role based SR/MMR it is extremely easy to mess up the matchmaking in a completely legitimate way.

For example my Tank SR is over 1000 SR higher than my DPS SR, so if in Open Q I would play DPS for some time and then start playing Tank again I would completely steamroll through the majority of the next bunch of games.

8 Likes

33 in 10 matches.

That’s 3 per game, in a lobby of 12.

Pretty ok if you ask me, at least for a dead game.

Also how people are still smurfing if the game costs $40?

Ah yes, Open Q. The mode no one plays srsly

2 Likes

$15 on sale

I noticed similar numbers in role queue as well, I just wasn’t counting then

2 Likes

Blizzard needs to give us the ability to prioritize people above a bronze border. Or atleast people with 1 star.

3 Likes

I’d wait in queue for 10mins as support if I could only play with Silver frames and up, 20mins for gold and up. Playing 10 quick “competitive” games that are just one team walking through the other isn’t fun win or lose.

Give me one good game over ten lousy cake walks

13 Likes

Absolutely. Whenever people ask for stuff like this they get told “it’ll make your queue times worse” but I’m happy waiting longer for a better game.

Steamrolls are the worst thing in this game. Win or lose.

6 Likes

You know that OW is no longer purchasable on its own?
It’s only part of the watchpoint pack.

Be careful what you wish for. This is the same exact thing DPS players said when they were asking for Role Queue.

Can’t say I blame them as smurfing is the only way high ranked people can even play OQ at this point.

I was top 10 a couple of seasons ago and by the time I climbed to GM I was getting 45 minute queues most of the time.

1 Like

Didn’t know that, but I’m pretty sure people bulk bought a lot of accounts in advance. I’ve seen smurfs before that are like level 30 wearing limited event skins from 2 years ago

Do you make a meaningful distinction between “smurfs” and “alts”?

I legit feel bad when we steamroll a 2CP match on attack in like 2 minutes, and I’ve got 3-4 gold medals with like… 7 elims and damage in the mid-four-digits. I also hate wins where the first round is a fierce fight, but then after we cap the first point 1-2 players leave and we just stomp the second point because (if the game bothers to backfill) the backfillers keep cycling out, leaving the team down a player or two. Feels almost as shi**y as being on the receiving end of either of those scenarios; I’d rather play a match where we end up losing, but it’s like an 8 minute match, and as the POTG is rolling I realize I haven’t blinked for like 5 minutes.

2 Likes

33 low level accounts I’m guessing? You seem like someone that thinks every low level account is a smurf. Sad.

2 Likes

Seems about right. People are finally starting to see stuff.

1 Like

I actually tried open queue for the first time the last couple of days. My mmr for my first game was silver, I’m guessing because of some pre-role queue games I played a long time ago. I was surprised by how many people there were who did not fit the rank we were playing. I also got a lot of players who strongly felt like they were de-ranking, 2 stacks playing Mercy/Lucio or Lucio/Zen, or tanks/dps refusing to play with their team running in and dying 1v6.

After my placements I ended up almost plat and games really did not change much, only the smurfs seem to get even better. It might not be worth worrying about with OW2 coming in a month and a bit, but I thought I would share my experience as someone playing it for the first time.

NO you didnt OP…Those who are better than you are not “smurfs”
Guaranteed you have never played with one nor do you even know what a “smurf” even is…They’re NOT the little blue fellas from the cartoon neither

1 Like

Using an alt account in comp still requires you to ruin dozens of games until you are at your main’s rank and is just as bad as smurfing

3 Likes