How to Unlock Weekly Archives Skins

It’s great to see blizz trying new stuff. However, just because we get the new, doesn’t mean the old should be thrown away.
I feel like it would’ve been a better option to offer players the option of earning rewards either through 9 wins or through collecting stars.

Not everyone wants to play PvE and they shouldn’t have to play it to get rewards.

5 Likes

I mean, it’s not something else. It replaces it entirely. I get bored of the rote PvE trudge pretty quickly. Wish they kept the 9 arcade wins as well as this.

2 Likes

Please revert the skin win system back to normal any mode wins for the next 2, I just really don’t want to play archives for unlocks, please don’t force unlocks to be limited a game mode in the future.

6 Likes

That’s a HUGE pass from me, I hate the pve stuff.

1 Like

Hard to complete when players leave left and right.

My friends and I are extremely disappointed by this change. It would be okay if it required a lot fewer stars, but I really do not want to do this content over and over again. Having to do more than 3 a week is too much. I hope you make some adjustments.

1 Like

Speaking for myself, I want to say I love the idea behind this change. The all-or-nothing approach in the past has been a source of frustration at times so I welcome a method that gives partial credit on a loss so it doesn’t feel like a waste of time upon losing. I sincerely hope this philosophy carries forward to other events and challenges(maybe even the weekly arcade lootboxes in the future?). While the Archives missions are my favorite in the game so you won’t see me complain about this iteration, I can absolutely sympathize with being forced to play a mode in which one is not interested for a prize one does want(see also: golden guns being exclusive to comp). I hope one alternative you’re considering is that other modes give partial credit towards the goal; for example, a regular PvP match could count towards these skins as 2 stars for a win, one star for a loss. It would still incentivize people to play the event modes as the fastest way to earn while not forcing people to play a mode if they don’t want.

I’m glad you’re giving credit for stars instead of wins, because I only play on legendary and fail way more than I win. This change is much better than a generic 9 wins. It gives people incentive to actually participate in the events instead of ignoring them after the first day.

Explains the yoloing I’ve been seeing.

I think I played the events for the first 2 years and I did not play them all, then I never played them again since they were very boring. Now I miss the skins of my favorite characters “support”
Thanks !!

That’s fair! I don’t disagree with giving partial credit for a loss. That’s a great idea.

I just feel that the way they have run these since Day 1 (you can play Arcade, Competitive, or Quick Play and get the skins) was much better.

Now they have this arbitrary idea to “connect the event activities to the skins” but the event activities are NOT the game’s strong point. The PvE content in this game mostly sucks and there isn’t nearly enough of it to justify focusing events on it right now.

Meanwhile, I started playing ESO about a year ago and have seen four major content additions since I started playing. Overwatch has gotten just about nothing for the past two years comparatively. If this is the direction the game is taking - slooooow updates and arbitrary changes to require players to participate in the game’s weakest content… I won’t be buying loot boxes this year for anniversary. And I’m hesitant to remain at all interested in Overwatch 2. I‘ll put the money into a game where the developers are making the right moves.

Overwatch’s PVP gameplay was what it had going for it. Now it feels like a pretty dead game. It’s fun to play as-is, but Team Fortress and Tribes 2 made really stupid changes that ruined the games for most of the player base after long hiatuses from meaningful updates. It looks like Overwatch is going to go in the same direction, and poor decision making like this just reinforces that feeling.

I just cant comprehend why this would be made a thing, It personally mad me very angry being I have done those missions several times before this was a thing. I dont want to have to do them again and again. I wanna just get the skin in comp.

2 Likes

So I don’t typically play PVE, especially game modes that are redundant and have been around for 4+ years. But I had some free time yesterday and decided to take a shot at getting the Lucia skin.

I queued for Uprising Hard mode. We lost 15 minutes in and I gained 4 stars, FOUR STARS!!! Thanks for the atrocious change in how we can get limited skins. Meanwhile I played 15+ hours of comp this weekend and could have had the skin by now. Nice change, keep alienating your player base :+1:.

Except that in my region there is unlimited queue time for all archives mission modes so Im basically locked out of the weekly skins unless I have 3 other people to group with.

1 Like

If someone is losing intentionally, or putting in the bare minimum effort on the easiest difficulty, they’ll get stars verrrrry slowly. If you encounter these people, just report, avoid, move on. I’ve played the story modes about 20 times now and never had any problems with people screwing around like this.

This is the first time I have missed out on one of the weekly challenge skins. I normally like pve, but the current missions have gotten very stale.

1 Like

It doesnt have to be the easiest difficulty. People can throw or not try on harder difficulties too and still get like 2-3 stars per run.

I’ve played only a few rounds since it came out, and one of them included a pair of players that in all honesty seemed to be trying really hard to lose, and it was a struggle to win. It’s not fun when people pick harder difficulties and just pick bad heroes and screw around.

Content is not offered in modes that I participate in, therefore the content does not exist. Something for the metrics.

1 Like

How to unlock: don’t get bored of playing the same three missions over and over.

Hey developers!

Due this stupid system to force players to play boring pve missions to earn a weekly skin on events, I am uninstalling Owerwatch. R.I.P. Blizzard! I was a day one player! I will never play this garbage again!