How to really fix Sombra

• Revert the incredibly buggy LOS change that has left her hack crippled.

• Remove the 2 second cooldown when shot, but lower her hack speed so people can actually react to it.

• If you keep the 2s cooldowm when shot, let her hack and stealth have a 10 damage threshold.

• Allow her opportunist passive to make hacked victims take an extra 5-8% damage (Sombra only!), making her EMP more useful overall as well.

If Sombra had these updates, or at least just a few of them, I wouldn’t mind the weird changes she has received to her translocator or camo that are coming from the PTR.

7 Likes
  • New hack is fair, IMO. Just needs fixed. Bug fixes pleeeease
  • 2s CD is fine. I prefer the shorter hack duration
  • The damage threshold is overrated, but if you really want to prevent trash damage from reaper and dva who seem to always be out to counter every sombra, a 2hp threshold should be plenty.
  • Her damage output is actually fine when you compare to the utility she provides.

What she really needs are bug fixes and maybe a few QoL changes (Like the new hack cancelling melee change). The better hack visualization on targets is also a decent suggestion.

I’m also highly supportive of changes that make her more accessible to lower skilled players, but commonly a lot of the suggestions that people make like the cooldown and damage thresholds are solved with better positioning.

1 Like

She shouldn’t have all that utility though. That what makes her so situational. Her utility is great, sure, but the reason she fails to be as good as Genji/Tracer is that she doesn’t do the same ammount of damage which means she relies too heavily on her team. If she lost some utility, but gained some DPS, she would be a better pick in many more situations.

This game LoS bug is very difficult to fix this is the reason why hog hook and Sombra hack is very buggy in this game reverting the LoS nerf is much easier than fixing a bug

2 Likes

She isn’t meant to replace genji or tracer, so that’s fine. Heroes are allowed to be more situational than others.

4 Likes

There is a difference between more situational than others, and be only picked in very limmited situations.

Sombra is perfectly viable in a lot of scenarios.

3 Likes

Thing is that Sombras only form of damagw is through her gun. She lacks any form of secondary damage, nor does she have any burst damage. It wouldn’t be too out of the question to give her a slight damage boost to hacked targets, so long as it isn’t anything like a discord orb effect.

1 Like

Hacking through walls won’t and shouldn’t return. Blizzard made huge progress on the Sombra LoS bugs with 1.25. The only thing I would suggest now is having the 0.1 second window when Sombra has LoS so Tracer can’t break a Hack cast by blinking to the left.

This would be a massive nerf. The 0.65 second Hack time actually allows Sombra to get Hacks off before the enemy pops all of their abilities and the Hack is useless. The 2 second window only applies to Sombras who can’t time their Hacks properly and just hold down the button. It isn’t nearly significant enough to legitimize such as massive nerf like a higher Hack cast time.

Moira can do 10 damage in 0.2 seconds. That means she has 0.45 seconds to react to a Hack, which is totally ridiculous. Even if you were to increase the Hack time, it’s unfair to ticking damage heroes.

Sombra already does 320dps and she has a 960dmg clip. Sombra is not supposed to be a solo DPS assassin. Stop trying to change her role to something else. She isn’t Tracer.

2 Likes

It honestly shocks me how many people want a damage buff for sombra.
She isn’t supposed to be a assasin or damage dealer/flanker like tracer and genji.
And i think her damage is pretty great if you keep that in mind.

I dont want a damage buff thats insane like 50%. Maybe 5-8% at most for hacked targets. And I dont know about you, but Sombras original development was intended to be an assassin through both concept art, and the fact that they tested one shot melee. Obviously, being one shotted was blatantly OP, so they opted for the machine pistol instead.

Now, why do I still think she is an assassin? If you look at the “Infiltration” animated short, its pretty clear that her intention was to assassinate. If they were giving that impression in the video, then they should at least try and replicate it so shes actually that viable as a flanker/assassin/disrupter, W/E.

And shes also the only offense class hero that lacks any form of secondary damage. In order to get that damage off, she needs to be moderatly close, which already puts her at massive risk considering a majority of the roster can pop a ability, assuming they aren’t hacked, and disrupt you, or pull off even bigger damage since she has to be up close. Any hero that requires to be up close has 250 HP, but not Sombra.

Shes all risk, but no reward 80% of the time.

3 Likes

I dont see why it wasn’t such a major issue to dissect considering its been in the game for almost two years now. It was there for a reason. Ever since it got nerfed, its left her incredibly buggy, even with the PTR bug “fixes”, as Fitzy has shown in his past streams.

The 0.65 hack speed also meant literally no one could react to it in time. I remember when the buff came, the entirety of the forums complained about how fast they were getting hacked, and I gotta say I can agree with them. It felt gimmicky to get a hack off that fast, and due to that fact, its what got her the current nerfs she had now. And if you believe the 2s cooldown when shot is a good thing, I feel like you’ve never played Sombra enough to realize the frustration that it brings. A simple Moira orb can just waltz by, tickle you in the middle of a dog fight. A D.VA can just look at you and tickle you for one. Literally anything can stop you if its tossed out randomly, even with good positioning. The whole excuse “its to stop people from spamming hack” is dumb, because anyone knows that if a Sombra trys to hack over and over again while taking damage, that Sombra will die. It was the very thing that seperated good Sombras from bad ones.

Then who is it fair to? If Moira already has that low of damage, then Sombra would be considered a counter against Moira in that case, which wouldn’t hurt all too much considering Moira can just toss a orb as well and prevent the hack. One hero shouldn’t docterine a buff that would help Sombra.

Its like you dont want Sombra to be good. This is an absolute travisty of an excuse. For one, you’d have to land all headshots with her current spread, assuming it doesn’t get out healed or if they run past a barrier or corner. Second, her damage potential is easily outshined by every other DPS. Whats the point of playing her when a Tracer can get the job done?

If she isn’t supposed to be an assassin? Then what is she supposed to be? After playing her since launch, I’m genuinely confused how ones supposed to play her “right” with all of the Frankenstein-tier nerfs she has gotten.

4 Likes

I think a lot of Fitzy’s issues come down to his Hack sensitivity, as most of his Hack breaks occur very early in the Hack (where the Hack hasn’t actually started on the server)

The 1.25 patch did fix a lot of bugs. Ask Fitzy and he will tell you that too. And again, I gave a suggestion to fix the issue without putting Hack through walls in the game again.

That’s just not true, average reaction time is more like 0.2 seconds.

It felt powerful. Hack stopped being an ability you could get off on D.Vas and started being an ability you could get off on anyone.

I’ve mained Sombra since Season 3, and I am currently the #1 Sombra on Overbuff and I am also in Top 500.

And now the 2s cooldown emphasizes that. Before, you could hold down m2 and Hack a Tracer when she ran out of ammo. Now you actually have to time it, and that is a good thing.

Hack has a 15m range. Orb isn’t nearly fast enough and it also interrupts her m1.

Winston, D.Va, Moira, Symmetra, or even Sombra herself. Any hero with less than 10dmg per bullet would be unfairly affected.

Because she has utility? Is this a serious question?

A disruptor. She creates advantages for her team to capitalize on. She isn’t a solo DPS hero.

3 Likes

I feel like they should maybe reduce it to 1.5 or 1 sec but completly removing it would be too strong since you could just keep hacking till the enemy needs to reload.

You need to consider that most heroes are either projectile heroes or hitscan with spray. It would be impossible for some heroes to interrupt hack by themselves especially those with falloff.

1. She is not Tracer and should not be played like one
  2. You can easily one clip 200 hp targets if you play smart enough and have good eneough aim.
    Tanks are also good targets to gain ult charge since their large hitbox makes them to easy hit.

An opportunist.
You don’t go in to get some kills, you go in to disrupt the enemy team and create holes in the enemy defense so that your team can do the rest.

1 Like

Fair enough. But, if you were behind the development team, what would you propose to help her in her current state, or would you give any changes aside from the slight LOS you suggested a few replies back?

• LoS revert yes …. that was terrible.
  • i don’t have a problem with the 2s cd, but i would be fine with decreasing hack speed by 1s to comensate for the revert.
  • i think this won’t be necessary if they revert the hack mechanics
  • i would rather increase her reload speed, but whatever
  • EMP is fine, don’t touch it
1 Like

They did revert the vertical hitbox reduction on Genji deflect because it caused a bug which allowed him to be headshot through deflect while jumping.

So its not unheard of.

Increasing her m1 isnt the best idea for more damage.
Like people would really hate if Brigitte had more damage in her m1 instead of using combos

You have only 2 options … buff her weapon or her hack and the devs are afraid of hack.