How to make Sym a support

No, I mean the concept character you are talking about. I think she was named Tara. They are fish drones, not fish turrets.

If you stick a turret to a teammate, then the hard part is what would be the mechanic aspect that would make them different than Zen’s Harmony Orb and Brigitte’s Repair Pack, to feel like a turret.

Personally, I would just prefer to see Photon Shield back into the game than adding even more new things on Symmetra instead of using the old thing she already had in the past.

Yeah I guess having turrets move too much wouldn’t really make them turrets. That doesn’t mean they can’t be moving or floating mid air but I really can’t figure out a useful way to make them do so without just calling them drones.

As for the sticking them on teammates thing I was only half serious. You could have them still do damage which would be unique and fits in the supportive category. Would rather have them be lazer drones than actual turrets. It would be like a drone pocket that helps out the dps. Or stick them on a support when flankers are around. Serves the same purpose as current turrets but would work much better imo.

I don’t want to see turrets removed but I get very little use out of them currently as they are.

It don’t need to be on experimental for we to know that you need to gamble in advance if you want to heal your team on the poke phase, the pushing phase, the holding your ground phase, or the retreat phase.

I still believe raising the turret limit to 6 again would solve most of the turret problems. But that’s a different discussion.

I am telling you it will not end well making her a Support. She will not be allowed to compete with Ana/Lucio directly, she has turrets which are already hated. She’s routinely shafted by the dev team already, and if you make her a Support, the group which gets routinely nerfed, she will be doomed. And FWIW, I think she’s still better than you guys give her credit for until you hit maybe mid-Diamond.

Instead of patting yourself on the back, think about what I am saying here. Do you really trust Blizz to take Sym, move her back to Support, and not in turn basically kill the character ?

Honey, I can’t even get a victory pose with her gun.

1 Like

As Geoff Goodman mentioned, she’ll likely need another primary way to heal with turrets being auxillery healing. She’d also need a huge rework, instead of just some number changes.

For example, her current ult would be terrible for an off healer. Lucio/Zen/Brig all have incredibly strong ults because they’re secondary healers.

Her ult is the best part of her kit

I made a rework a while back. The ult I just wanted to make something cool but barrier is fine.
I really like the idea of her healing personally.

Well, back in the day, what I suggested was to make it so that her shield generator was a normal ability, and that it replaced missing hp and armor with shieldhealth.

Basically a Lucio heal that goes through walls, but is a destroyable object.

Maybe make it so that pressing F rotates the teleporter. And pressing E twice switches between teleporter and shield gen deploy.

1 Like

To make sym a support, you would need to completely change sym from the ground up, at which point, why not just make a new hero without the baggage of reworking an existing one?

They are reluctant to make her a DPS hero. Even with 680 hours on Sym, 560 of those on 3.0, I would not be sad if she was made into a viable support.

I think it’d work better if you nicked an idea from the OP and had next/previous weapon change whether E deploys a TP or an SG.

If you wanted to keep her ult, she’d probably have to be a main healer. It’s value level definitely aligns with Valkyrie/Window/Nano/Coel. It isn’t strong enough for an off healer.

Although this can potentially work, I think it’d be easier to just keep Sym as it is, give her a little more hp, 50 normal or shield hp, I’ll take either one, and if that doesn’t make her viable, then make Sym a basic beam, instead of a ramp up beam, that does 140 dmg per sec. This type of design is not only, I think, balanced, but at the same time, this gives the devs a helpful hand if they need to fall back into a basic beam design to expand off of to help create other beam based characters in the future.

Simplicity at it’s finest is sometimes the best direction to go.

theres no proof of that, the only thing we know is they tried healing turrets we dont know if they also tried throwable heal turrets

No. They said they tried healing turrets and it didn’t work. Then they added, that being said, we are experimenting with a new way for her to deploy her turrets.

yes but that doesnt mean they didnt go back to try healing on these new throwable turrets

If you look back at the AMA it’s the exact same statements regarding the healing turrets so I don’t believe they did.

I think you’re on the right track. Probably still OW2 timelines tbh and please no more hard reworks that ruin muscle memory so much they may as well be new heroes.

Move her to support, reduce some dmg, and tune the turrets to some kind of temp shield thing. The other thing I’ve said is the tp detonation lets out an aoe cleanse or shield effect. Voila.

Now she’s basically Zen-like in not being direct carry heals, but supporting with utility (instead of zen offdmg she would be offmobility and a bit of temp shields). I could see that workign in some 222 comps - but the true power of sym, queue times, and fun in OW lies outside of 222.

It’s not hard to turn a support hero masquerading as a DPs into a support.

1 Like