How to fix Mystery Heroes

Are we all missing one of the biggest components of what makes Mystery Heroes so great:

The fact that its a safe space to play a lot of different toons that you may not have played before and not get flamed for sucking.

I don’t play MH to win, I play to get experience on different toons.

4 Likes

Yes, that’s my point. That is how it works currently. You argued that zero counterplay is not fine. You still might have zero counterplay, even with the proposed rules.

1 Like

NEVER change how the current Mystery Heroes works. If you want to add in another, slightly more balanced mode that’s fine, but MH is currently perfect as is.
Only people that complain are ones that don’t like true randomness and MOSTLY the ones that can’t make the mode work for them but insist on playing it to get their weekly lootboxes which is the only reason they come to the arcade to play the mode at all.

1 Like

My idea is not get stack. A team of no support can push forward and win if the other team don’t have 2 Mercy in team.

Only briefly. With a certainty of balancing very shortly.

With Pure RNG, it can be unwinnable state for 10 minutes straight.

I’m glad this issue gets discussion on the team, though I’d point out that if people like ‘whacky’ comps, they are free in other game modes (especially No Limits) to form a 6 stack and let their imagination run wild.

If a comp is deemed to be ‘too whacky’ in literally any other game mode, you have the power as a player to address the issue by switching. Mystery Heroes is unique in that the players don’t have that power, and it too often leads to hopeless frustration without any kind of background logic to keep things reasonable.

2 Likes

You can have “broken” comps without rendering the enemy team completely helpless for the entire game because RNG screws them over.

I guarantee you the individual who argues that point would change their mind if they played consecutive games where their team repeatedly respawned as low-damage-output heroes for 10 minutes against an enemy team with numerous D.Va and supports.

The fun novelty wears off fast when you literally get unwinnable games, back to back to back.

2 Likes

To everyone complaining about playing against an imba comp: that’s part of the game, and if its that imba the game will be over shortly and you’ll be on to the next, where more than likely you’ll be on the imba team.

I don’t honestly see where all the angst comes from; its mean to be a quick, fun mode to play, not a 25 minute battle royale between perfectly matched teams.

3 Likes

What we really need is Mystery Total Mayhem :slight_smile:

If for no other reason than letting me actually use my ults rather than dealing with constant resets thanks to the momentum-death factor.

2 Likes

i can get behind this I hate being Ana then respawning as Ana… it’s just come on!

1 Like

As somebody mentioned above, Mystery Hero Select might be interesting.

Say you get the option of one of each:
1 random DPS
1 random Healer
1 random Tank

1 Like

thats actually a good idea.

I think this is a huge point. If MH gets a forced tank/healer then it becomes the only artificially balanced mode in the game.

2 Likes

As long as it’s random you’ll never make Mystery Heroes “fair” even if you remove stacking. A well-balanced team comp can be just as overbearing as one that has stacked heroes in it.

Mystery Heroes just requires a slightly different approach to it than a typically Overwatch match and unfortunately, most treat the mode as “get loot boxes mode” and don’t fully appreciate the nauces of it.

If you’re at a major disadvantage against the enemy team’s comp your team needs to prioritize taking down the critical components of that comp until you level the playing field by rerolling your own team while rerolling theirs.

Even with that said though there are times you’re going to get outplayed and run into comps that are hard to break and you just have to accept that you’ll be on the wrong side of luck at times and at the right side of it other times.

2 Likes

Agreed.

I get the feeling the qq’ers are whining because they don’t get to play the heroes they prefer as much as they’d like. I end up rolling Mercy SOOOOO FREAKING MUCH in MH, it drives me insane. I hate playing her, I hate her play style, and worst of all she is usually a huge difference maker on MH so I actually feel obligated to do well with her (and get stuck on her… ), but I’m not qq’ing on the boards about “we already had a Mercy”.

Oh, and FWIW to whoever said “low output DPS” - the only low output dps are the ones that you and your teammates aren’t proficient at.

1 Like

Keep the “wackiness” in the Game Browser. The modes that you “methodically” design should be in the Arcade, Competitive or Quickplay. Furthermore, I recommend adding a structured (2v2v2) Mystery Heroes mode on the PTR. This may allow players to test out the new hero while participating in a structured game.

Note: Adjust the type of hero composition accordingly that suit your needs. Example:
First day: 2 Tanks 2 healers and 2 DPS.
Second day: 3 Tanks 1 healer 2 DPS.

1 Like

I can also see both sides of this issue and Like Jeff’s suggestion of maybe alternating a “slightly balanced” version in here or there.

But i have to admit, im more on the side of those that like the mode just how it is because chaos and nonsense is fun sometimes.

Unfortunately, it is only fun for the side with the steamroller. I have a real problem with noticable patterns in arcade. If I spectate the Doomfist when I am dead, good chance I get Doomfist. Someone else spawns as the character I just died as. I notice this a lot.
It’s also not fun to spawn as Lucio, ana, junkrat, lucio, ana, junk then something new. Some matches I get spawned as the same 3 things in the roster.
I would enjoy the mode more if I wasn’t doomed to play the same three guys all match, there was no stacking or max stack of 2 identical heroes.

I thought “no limits” was the mode for stacking comps. I know adding rules may make it less totally random, but I feel there is enough room for strange combinations to happen.

1 Like

Added your idea up top for visibility.

Mystery Hero Select is a really good idea.

1 Like

The good news in No Limits is that your team is also free to use a cheese comp to break through their cheese. I do not come to MH to be cheesed or to cheese on others, so I would rather it stay with No Limits.

The issue in MH is a lack of choice, which is by design, and the ultimate charge advantage, which is a potentially unintended result that leads to a lot of steamrolling. I actually want MH to remain a controlled chaos, just have a single hero limit and make it so that I am not playing the same characters in the same game.

I am not someone who wants meta strategies enforced, so no minimums in regards to healers or tanks is necessary. However, implementing a single hero limit increases the possibility of a healer or tank actually showing up on my team at the start, instead of the literal 7 of 8 times when my team does not start with a healer because the team is crowded with duplicates.

Hero repetition is a no-no for me. Getting Doomfist twice before I get one of the other 24 heroes (minus DF and the one I just played) means that the “randomness” is not so random, since this happens quite frequently. Again, this reinforces steamrolling when a player repeatedly gets their “main” or a hero either bad for the mode or with whom they play poorly. Improvement does not really come when you literally cannot play the same way in any other mode but No Limits.

1 Like