How successful was Mercy's rework, actually?

If you really need to nerf everything in her kit just to make her former ultimate not broken as a secondary ability, then you shouldn’t mess around with her kit and just let it be? Also, how did they come to the conclusion that taking her most exciting moments away would make her more fun to play? I mean, unless you enjoy being a healbot with an occasional resurrect, what else is there that makes her fun to play? Her mobility? Probably, but if I wanted to play something just because of mobility, I’d play the new Spiderman.

• Mercy’s healing output and utilities could be compared to an off-healer.
  • Valkyrie does literally nothing unless you use it to damage boost your team’s push after getting an opening pick.

The only good thing that came out of this rework was her GA buff/change, which WASN’T EVEN INTENDED.

I came up with a solution that could potentially work, wouldn’t make her an OP hero for almost a year and would make her less of a bore to play, so here it comes…

The solution

1. Give Mercy her old ultimate, but with cast time and line of sight requirement. Instead of being invincible for a short period of time after successfully casting Resurrect, Mercy’s HP would be restored to full.

Old Mercy’s “hide and rez” playstyle did something that should never happen to any hero in any situation. When Mercy players decided to stay behind a wall, their team was in a 5v6 situation, trying to compete against the enemy team without a main healer. The worst thing about this is that this bad playstyle was VERY REWARDING. You can’t reward poor plays. This gutted version of Resurrect gets rid of this bad habit and encourages players to use it more as a “tempo rez” to keep the fight going. Old Mercy required a lot of thought in certain situations, today’s Mercy is just all about seeking cover to safely compensate for your ally’s mistakes.

1. Keep Mercy’s 50hp/s healing, but give her an ability that allows her to burst heal, an ability that boosts her beam rates for a short period of time.

Mercy as a main healer doesn’t stand a chance against Ana or Moira. As I said, Mercy performs as well as an off-healer in her current state. She might be consistent, but consistent healing alone won’t help you in teamfights. She’s terrible for solo healing and she’s the worst at what she was designed to be the best at. With a burst healing ability, Mercy would at least have a chance to save her allies on the battle field.

26 Likes

Mass rez should never come back and doesn’t belong in this game. End of story.

9 Likes

Mass rez alone was never an issue, “hide and rez” was.

I like how some people think Resurrect on a 30s cooldown, which is given to you for free, belongs in the game, but Resurrect as an ultimate, which has to be earned, doesn’t.

38 Likes

Fun fact: It’s still broken as a secondary ability… and will always be because it’s an Ultimate by design… the rest of her kit is just not that bad that it’s evening out… if that is “Balance” then something is going fundamentally wrong at Blizz HQ

5 Likes

The rework has been horrible for this game as a whole.

We were stuck with horrible balance for nearly a year and Bliz lied through their teeth the entire time. And the community is split down the middle. Everyone is even more toxic to one another

Players have had their bad decisions in game rewarded because of rez on e. They expect healers to always have LOS and to always be able to get to them because of valk mobility. They peel less and pay less attention to where their healers are. Because of valk and rez on e, players miss being able to get away with these things.

Mercy’s base kit had to be nerfed to fit valk and rez on e because both are unbalancable. Valk removes all weaknesses (minus the rez now), and rez is not earned. Rez was balanceable on ult while valk is a pool of bad design decisions rolled into one. She needs valk removed, rez on ult with changes, and a completely unique e ability.

13 Likes

Resurrect only brought back 1 person. Mass Rez can bring back 5.

1 Like

“Can” is a lot different than “always does”. Mass res was frequently used to resurrect just one person to keep a fight going, especially at higher ranks where letting more people die was too risky.

11 Likes

Yes, but a successful resurrect happens on average every ±2 minutes and requires no thought or any sitational awareness as long as your target died near a corner or a barrier. (and let’s be honest, you’re not gonna use rez on an ally, who overextended, outside walk)

Mass rez hasn’t always brought back the whole team anyway.

2 Likes

This is the most important thing in the OP. Blizzard needs to have this said directly to them, repeatedly, until Mercy is fixed.

4 Likes

Neither of them belong, it completely erased work done to kill someone with the press of a button.

She is the only healer with the ability to bring her team-mates back from the dead, sure everyone has different ability sets but no other healer can ressurect, but all can heal.

And ‘Can’ is a lot differen’t to ‘Can’t’.

I am not disagreeing. I am just saying that Resurrect can only bring back 1 while Mass Rez can bring back 5.

But it still can, that’s what matters.

If Mass Rez was to come back, I’d say it needs a small cast time and to be made impossible to Rez through walls.

I mean, you can kill with a single press of a button, too…

That’s why it needs to be an ultimate, not a free ability.

4 Likes

No, you cant kill with a single press of a button (unless you have a reliable one shotting ability, and most of the cast does not), the average gunfight 1v1 involves strafing and use of abilities, all while aiming the other person down, which takes much more effort than a simple button press ressurect.

The only way I’d see ressurect returning as an ult is if it had LOS and a cap of 3 people.

No. Hard caps on Mercy’s power is what’s keeping her skill ceiling low. 5-man res was high risk, high reward, and Mercy needs the opportunity to take risks to get better rewards just like every other hero.

The entire reason her gameplay is so stale right now is because the entire game experience is just playing safe for mediocre rewards.

9 Likes

Um, when mass rez was given invulnerability it literally had no risk.

Ultimates that can solo kill with a single button press:

• Deathblossom
  • Dragonstrike
  • Rocket barrage
  • Meteor strike
  • D.va bomb

Ultimates that can bring the team back to life with a single button press:

• None (formerly Resurrect)

Abilities that can bring a dead ally back to life with a single buttom press:

• Resurrect (formerly an ultimate ability)

I’d rather have mass rez that has to be earned and can be countered than today’s resurrect that can be performed anytime someone’s dead as long as it’s not on cooldown.

4 Likes

All of the ultimates you listed can be easily avoided by a majority of the cast, ressurect you dont avoid, you shoot down, but ever since mass rez got invulnerability you couldnt.

That’s not true. While there was no risk of losing Mercy’s ultimate charge, there was absolutely a risk of getting killed before having the opportunity to use her ultimate, and that risk increased with each dead teammate. However, nobody is talking about bringing back mass res with invulnerability in this thread.

2 Likes

Mass rez had no counters back then, you could only kill or hack Mercy. So what if you killed her after she resurrected the whole team? The whole team would still be there, even without her.

Yes but the ultimate still did the effect and you couldnt stop it with the invulnerability.

If we remove invulnerability and add LOS, it might be little better.