How is 5v5 ever going to work with 1 tank

People will be on the forum begging Blizzard to let them play OW when that day comes.

As if meme tier demo gameplay is more important than patch notes.

Why does everyone assume some tanks players just want to sit still in the middle of road forever holding a shield.

Yes I play tanks and know they re no longer the same as before and are most like to become squishier than before for Overwatch 2. As a result of changing tanks the number of people willing to play tanks have dropped even further causing Blizzard to roll out Priority Passes to artificially bolster the tank player number. Now they plan to remove 1 tank per team entirely.

What part of the recent changes sounds like the experience of playing tanks have improved.

2 Likes

That’s what they showed though. That’s what the devs though was good enough to show. If that looked terrible, even worse stuff is lying in wait.

2 Likes

That’s fair and there’s reason it feels this way. Tanks have always been super good characters that were really powerful. However, it’s also the most difficult role to play correctly, which is why they may not always feel that way.

Since they were so strong though, most nerfs to the characters in the role have been warranted. Nerfs make characters inherently more difficult to play, and Tanks as a whole were already hard to grasp.

Going forward, if we only have 1 tank per team, that drastically lowers the influence they have on the game as a role while also opening up many more oppurtunities to buff the individual characters. Like, if Rein and Zarya together are overwhelming, splitting them up will fix that. If they then suck by themselves, they can be buffed as needed, and even in interesting ways too.

This is why I’m excited for 5v5, it reduces the influence tanks have on Overwatch without reducing each character’s power level, and furthermore allows their power levels to be increased.

It will depend on how they change tanks for 5v5. For me tank survivability is key. I will have to wait and hope they do increase tanks power level since there will only be 1 tank.

Because that is what a lot of players want to do when they constantly make threads saying “I want to tank, not dps”. They want to sit in the road forever holding shield until they hit the Q button.

Maybe not everyone means that but lets be real or not disingenuous, its what most imply. It’s not like the shields at the moment aren’t adequate enough to do the tanking they need to do, allow their team mates to move or take their shots before it goes down, but anytime the enemy makes the effort to break it, it is suddenly “not enough shields”.

You’re more mobile, you can lead and you deal damage, you make an impact and not solely rely on your team mates to do something while you shield. Those are significant improvements.

Well, not for the vaunted DPS overlords. They get to get back to the fight faster than everyone else.

1 Like

Some tanks still need their team mates and some tanks like Reinhardt need to have a constant supply of healing to function. If they make Reinhardt more self reliant than I would be more than happy.

Sorry shield popping really fast then back to spawn room experience for peeking is not my idea of a good tank experience.

If you are happy playing tanks as they are now then I am happy for you but its not for me when I used to play tanks all the time before.

2 Likes

I don’t think they are aiming for durability based on what we’ve seen so far. I think the idea is to make the tanks move in to strike faster and harder.

Rein has a much better charge and more firepower, but with less bulk. Given Rein is the baseline for other tanks, what they do with him is how we should expect they will treat the other tanks.

What that means for each individual tank though is the fun part. They’re gonna have to be creative if they want all of them to be forward focused like that!

I know they are turning tanks into more glass cannons or fireworks where the burn bright for a moment and gone the next.

2 Likes

Seems reasonable to consider this once the game comes out and we actually KNOW what the changes to the off tanks will be?

They are doing the 5v5 because there are too many dps players and not enough tank players.

There is zero, ZERO, absolutely no chance, none, nada, they will change it to be just 1 dps.

Can’t wait for all dps to just walk out of tanks range with no problems at all.

6 Likes

I would prefer Tanks be more tactical than just artillery: their utility and ability to punish enemy plays would be their appeal. Of course, every Tank would be different to encompass different playstyles, but not in the way that it encroaches being a second Damage Role.

As for duels, let’s go with a hypothetical situation: two Soldier:76 of equal skill duel each other, rather than a single Helix Rocket and three-four taps to the body being the deciding factor, it would be a Helix Rocket and five-six taps to the body. Pretty much, lowering ability damage by a small amount, while also allowing for duels to be more decided by gunplay and tactics, rather than who fired/landed their ability first.

Right now, it feels like players just go down too fast, and Tanks should be able to last just a few seconds longer than they are right now…

Super glue a Lucio to your butt, it will be compelling gameplay for both of you.

1 Like

If your tank dies, you lose the team fight. They’re gonna feel like literal mini bosses. Once taken down, the rest of the team will surely crumble. I don’t feel like that’s a great way to play the game, but I think it will be a case of “tank diff” in most games, and taking the enemy tank down will be like taking the king in chess at this point.

2 Likes

It’s true that the current tank play can be that way but I always found it always usually was that way, but it’s often that way in head to head defense chokes with 2 tanks and lot of dps backing them. But often it was Zarya protecting Reinhardt or another tank alternated shields if we didn’t just dive (which didn’t really change much since and Winston’s shields buffed and D.va is high tier meta). Not a lot of people liked the double shielding thing even a year ago, which I would argue was much more a thing in the last year than at the start of the game.

Regarding the thread topic though, I don’t know if we’ll even play that way at all for OW2. They are removing 2CP and maps probably might have more flank routes. I think the game is pushing to more of a DPS FPS game and not much of the team huddled together MOBA thing anymore. Plus with only 1 tank, both supports will be on you much easier and it’s easier to get passed enemy defenses to fight them.

So, I think our community aren’t going to feel the same thing anymore, we’re applying assumptions of how it’ll play out as if it were the current state minus a tank. We aren’t considering the passives, the balance changes, the reworks, the new heroes, the new map designs, the removed and new game modes. It’s hard to say if the 5v5 game will just be the same + dps tank considering all those things.

I think it depends how far they push the tank role to be another “pseudo-dps” then it might not make much of a difference losing a shield. Tanks don’t feed as much ultimate charges anymore because of the passive. Supports have a self-regeneration passive. DPS can outrun other roles. If we lose a tank, would they still be able to blow through the rest of the team?

Would that mean Damage are the Queen piece? They have the most freedom…