How bad would 1-4-1 be?

They wouldn’t become imbalanced, it would be a nightmare for tank/support players. Tanks and supports are good because they have another tank/support to back them up and synergize together. If it was 1-4-1 you play tank and your shield gets shredded instantly or you get punched, froze, stunned and hacked all at the same time, you play support and you get dived by genji, tracer, doomfist, and sniped by widow. It would be absolutely awful. Just delete this thread plz

3 Likes

Its fine, Mercy just needs to be in Valkryie mode 100% of the time and she has a chance at not dying.

Solo healing was BS as well…

2 Likes

Solo healing is hard but Moira can do the job on some maps/modes but solo tanking is not fun at all.

1 Like

If EITHER the healer or tank dies your screwed OR the whole team has to play fast and loose death-ball style, which means characters like orisa will be screwed.

You could have flex placement: 1-1-1-3. 1 tank, dps, healer, and 3 random flexes. But then your games would be RNG heavy.

9 Likes

4-1-1 could work but there would have to be less saturation amongst tanks and supports.
aka remove them and buff the ones worth keeping.
so Orisa, Ham, Sigma, Hog, and Winston are all dropped. Rein, Dva, and Zarya can stay
theres good variety amongst them while still having a tank job and not feeling busted. Rein for shield, Zarya for instant protection in the heat of battle which also works in her favor, and Dva for nullification of powerful attacks.
Supports would also have to get this treatment. So no Baptiste, Ana, Moira, Brig. Which leaves Zen, Lucio, and Mercy. Zen for defensive debuff and better support for flanking heroes, Lucio for speed boosting on point, and Mercy for a stronger primary healing

in regards to dps, only sombra would probably have to go. it just feels like she has no place as a damage hero at all

point in doing this is to not quite make tanking or supporting a mandatory job. so really if you wanted to have a 6 v 6 or a 5-1 comp, go ahead. frag out and just have fun

It honestly wouldn’t be that bad if both teams were forced into it.

Like I hate solo healing but that’s because it feels pointless when the other team is running 2-2-2 and my dps players can’t out damage the pocketed tanks and I’m getting permanently dived by two DPS.

In a 1-4-1 RQ solo healing might be tolerable

But the reason I object is some tanks/supports would need massive reworks. Otherwise picking Zen would just be a big “F you” to your one tank. It would also make pushes and holds nearly impossible if one tank or Support dies, putting a lot more responsibility on those players to stay alive while lightening the burden on Damage players. It would benefit heroes like Sombra Sym and Mei who are hybrids, making their roles far more important than they are now.

If they did go this route I would prefer 1-3-1 and make teams 5 players. That makes damage heroes more important to a push or hold and makes it easier for anyone in the lobby to carry. It also lightens the load on the solo healer/tank and those heroes would need less extreme reworks.

2-3-2 has also been suggested which I’m not totally against but could add to the chaos already in so many matches and turn games into coin flips (imho)

But honestly, 2-2-2 is still best I think

They would have to overbuff the off supports main healing while reworking the main supports ultimates to be more “team saving”. Also, solo tanking/supporting feels horrible to play, so despite opening up more dps slots queue times would be the same or even longer because people will flat out leave.

3 Likes

this would be resolving of all problems in this game. This is what actually needed.
Lets count
hero roster 15% tanks 70% damage 15% supports
Player base 15% tanks 70% damage 15% supports
and what we have here?
2-2-2 requires 33% tanks 33% dps 33% supports
Is that how blizz ballance the game?
1-4-1 = 15-70-15 ( 25-50-25 mostly but still)
1 tank is obvious but 3dps + 2 supp is better that 1-4-1 bc it is hard to solo support anyways.

As I always say, some people never played mmos ever.

Most of them have tanks and healers soloing, and let me tell you, dying as a tank/support, often means the whole team dying. It does not feel good at all and you are putting a crushing weight of responsibility into tanks/supports. Even more than we have now.

Not to mention that some characters would be throw picks instantly. Hog, Dva, Zen and Brig comes to mind.

1-4-1 would lose even more tank and support players(making the change moot, because the dps queues would not get any smaller) because of those two reasons.

At this point, IDK, the best thing would do a red wedding for the tanks and supports and murder them in lore/delete them in game.

1 Like

Wow, I like how people seem completely fine with increasing tank/support queue times, potentially reworking several characters, and creating a decidedly less fun environment for them to play in…

Just so they don’t have to wait a few extra minutes to play the role they want in a balanced setting.

5 Likes

… And then they bash me for saying that it is for the best to not have them at all in this game.

Look, if you are going to make supports and tanks unfun as hell just for dps to have fun, it might be for the best… Not have them? Give maps more heal packs/ make more cover. Is it this logic that absurd?

This

They’ve addressed this before and said they tested this one quite a lot.

Basically what you said is exactly what happened.

It put too much pressure on a single hero and had a lot of issues. If that one player does the team would tend to crumble quick quickly, not to mention many heroes in those roles just aren’t equipped to be the only representative there.

1 Like

As someone who plays all 3 roles I’d only play dps.

It’s pretty easy to beat with a couple tanks, you just need to be willing to play dive.

The following heroes would be useless:

Dva
Hog
Zarya
Hammond
Sigma
Mercy
Lucio
Brig
Zen

You would also need self sustain dps. Mei/Reaper would be a must. Your meta would be: Orisa/Rein, Mei, Reaper, Hanzo, Widow, Moira/Ana. It doesn’t solve anything. All this would do is put more pressure on the healers and tanks while lowering dps queues. It would suck.

1 Like

Tanks and supports would all need to be reworked, and massively buffed to make this viable.

DPS players would not like getting stomped out by supports 1v1 as a regular occurrence.

Completely terrible idea lmao

It would make queue time much worse, nobody wants to play solo tanks or healer. Let alone both combined.

Due to the sheer amount of damage, the healer would only be able to ever heal the tank, and let the DPS die. Tanks and heal would become even more important, and DPS disposable.

Tanks and heals would need massive buffs and reworks.