How bad did Hanzo hurt Genji?

So according to the lore, after Hanzo and Genji fought, Genji’s body was severely damaged and needed the help of Overwatch to give him a new one.

Their fight, as far as i can see, has always been presented as an ellegant and dramatic duel between brothers, but i have two questions here:

1.How bad did Hanzo damage Genji? If he caused such injuries to the point where Genji needed to be almost literally rebuilt, then he didn’t just take him out, he went hog wild on his brother!

2.How one-sided was this fight? Given Hanzo’s and his family’s honor, they definetely had a face to face duel, but after this much time, Genji had to become a cyborg, while Hanzo doesn’t have any major injuries or scars, so Genji got completely owned?

Maybe i missed a detail that explains all of this but i have no idea

4 Likes

You have clues to try to guess how bad he hurt his young brother :

• Genji Blackwatch skin : his right arm/shoulder is missing, his legs are cut above his knees. Probably his spine was damaged too?

• Genji voiceline in Retrubution : “Pain and agony… what am I? Man or machine?” McCree "Then why did you agree to it? " Genji : “I wanted to be able to walk again”

• The blood on Hanamura’s point B, that suggest Hanzo cut his brother, and that he probably did it from behind if you look closely at the tapestry (i don’t know the right japanese word for that thing, sorry!) and the remaining arm Genji has :

http s://ibb.co/CP7MR9t (remove the space to see the image, can’t link sorry!)

10 Likes

I’m not sure the specifics are entirely clear.

You can find a fair number of pictures of the damage here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Overwatch/comments/6c4cgi/how_bad_is_genjis_injuries_exactly/

My guess is either Hanzo was not honorable in his attack on Genji or that he held the advantage in the fight but Genji just would not go down. Historically, some people have gone down easily in swords fights dying quickly or giving up and some have fought on with massive wounds sometimes they still died but it took a few minutes and other times they never actually died from the fight.

3 Likes

Oh, and at some point, a question was asked if Genji still had his “bottom intact” and the answer was yes (I can’t remember which Asian country the convention was and when, but it came up sevral times on this forum I think?)

Genji’s canonical designs don’t always match up perfectly with lore, so it’s hard to say. I personally think Hanzō cut off his arm and both his legs, while other parts of him are intact, but damaged.

Genji also suggests Hanzō ambushed him in one of his voicelines, so I doubt Hanzo dominated in a fair fight.

Yeah, I think that’s from this one :stuck_out_tongue:

I believe the google translate somewhat butchers the Thai but, I think the majority is mostly right/clearish.

1 Like

Thanks, it was this one, yeah!

I know people like to imagine it like that, but as Gwadael pointed out, it most likely wasn’t a fight at all. I believe Genji knew what was coming and refused to fight back. Hanzo, already manipulated and angry probably took it as a slight and simply cut him from behind across the body. It would further explain Hanzo’s obsession with seeking honour and redemption, if he believes he not only killed his own brother, but did so dishonourably.

6 Likes

What was Angela doing in Japan?

1 Like

Questions:

• how was Genji chopped up and didn’t die
  • how was mercy able to get to him without him bleeding out
  • how do you dismember someone with arrows
  • was the battle even in japan
  • why was hanzo sent to do it? yakuzas are organized criminals, not assasins
  • why also send his brother to do it?
  • why didn’t hanzo check to see if he was dead
  • why was mercy there
  • how did no one catch hanzo
4 Likes

Why were they trying to kill Genji?? What did he do? Couldn’t they have just poisoned him since he lived at the castle?

Most likely on a mission with Overwatch.

• I’m guessing because Genji wasn’t stabbed/cut anywhere that would’ve killed him immediately, all of hanzo’s blows would’ve left him to just bleed out.
  • because… future science? I’m not sure on that one.
  • Hanzo’s weapon was a sword, and he gave it up after attacking Genji.
  • Yes, there’s several hints inside the second point of Hanamura that show you exactly where their fight was.
  • The Shimada clan deals in trade in arms, illegal substances, and assassinations. Hanzo was sent to do it because the elders of his clan most likely saw it as the final step to make Hanzo into the leader their clan wanted.
  • Hanzo was raised his entire life to be the leader of the clan, and with his father gone the clan elders easily manipulated him to deal with Genji, as they saw him as a liability to the clan.
  • Hanzo most likely attacked Genji out of rage, frustration, desperation, etc, and after realizing what he had done, left him heartbroken so he fled.
  • answered that one
  • Hanzo was trained to be an assassin, he had the skills to escape and kill anyone who came after him.
  • Again the clan saw him as a liability, he didn’t care about their organized crime and wasted their money trying to live a playboy lifestyle, they could’ve poisoned him but they probably thought it was important for Hanzo to handle him since he was the new leader.
4 Likes

Thank you, McShimada!

2 Likes

No problem :wink: always happy to talk about lore!

2 Likes

some more possible explanations

-yes, in the Shimada castle
-Shimada was a criminal empire, probably owned the entire area, they can do whatever they want in Hanamura

-Shimada family was kinda old, so they’re a hybrid of both. Hanzo as the future leader, had the duty to get rid of disobedient members.
-belly cutting suicide is the old fashioned honorable way to go, and cutting Genji with dragon blade was probably the closest result Hanzo could get.
-it was too sad for him

3 Likes

Michael Chu also confirmed that Genji’s manhood is also fully intact.

3 Likes

In game when you kill Genji as Hanzo (kr version), Hanzo always says something like “I never thought of you as equal to me”

While if Genji kills Hanzo, he says something like “Now Im stronger, brother”. So probably Hanzo massacred him.

Also isnt this Hanzos blade in there? Its traditional one while new Genji has modern cyber-sword. May be both Genji and his sword were destroyed

Really bad!

Well, I think the severity of the damage is because it’s a duel using swords. Well, I don’t know for sure but I think it is. And Hanzo vowed to never wield a sword again. So it is not that surprising to get injured that much when using real katanas.

Well, it’s not that simple. Clearly, Hanzo won so he must be a strong fighter at that point in time than Genji. But skill level cannot be determined like that. Even is spar using wooden sword 1 person cannot win always. And we don’t know the conditions of the fight and what was their situation.

So it is pretty hard to tell what happened.

So based on the damage and the marking to me it was a duel that was quick and desisive and it was most likely a clash with small cuts nothing major untill hanzo got one clean cut that wnet from genjis rids to his shoulder. Based on the black watch skin i would say the cut was right under the heart and came out above the socket of the shoulder severing his spine in the prosses. And i think genjis was not taking it serious at first and thats what got him “killed” because he never thought his brother would hurt him that badly

I mean…. Hanzo was a prodigy in all areas so it wouldn’t really matter how seriously Genji took the fight.

The lore states Hanzo was a natural swordsman. And his voice line from OW1 was

As good as I am with a bow, I assure you, I was better with a sword.