How am I supposed to play McCree/Cassidy?

Is he just an “off tank” in the same way Mei is an off tank? It feels like the game wants me right in front of the battle with the tank and using my hinder to bail him out of trouble.

I fully support the Magnetic grenade change, make no mistake. I don’t think that ability should have existed for that character, but the close range hinder just confuses me. Is he not a mid ranged character? Is he mid ranged with a hinder to protect himself specifically? It doesn’t even do it that well.

I’m a trash McCassidy, but I’ve found the most success walking in with the tank and hindering and fanning people that we’d approach or would try to push us while I poke at their backline. Cree’s roll even gives him damage resistance so I can pull out of bad situations.

I’m only a Cassidy tourist, and of course map and team comps play their part, but I think of FB as more of a defensive tool to punish characters like Tracer or Sombra when they get too close, or simply to deter them. So my rough gameplan is to hang out nearer the supports to protect them against that lot, rather than rush in with an aggro tank. I’m not looking to burn FB every time it’s off cooldown.

I’m no expert, though, so maybe I’ve not got the right of it.

3 Likes

He’s designed as a close range duelist.

2 Likes

So the anticrouch mechanic on the magnade was to make it easier to land headshots.

So yeah. Headshots.

[OW2] Cassidy should get a "Bolas"

By shooting people in the head. He still has one of the best primaries in the game.

4 Likes

That’s so lame though :sleeping: The thought of that just makes me want to sleep, being on guard duty 24/7.

Well, it’s not like Cassidy’s putting his feet up on the table and taking a nap while bodyguarding. He gets to LMB to his heart’s content.

Shoot things at mid range, when things get close, flashbang and fan the hammer them, if they survive, roll and fan the hammer again.

It is not complicated, regardless of what akj tries to pretend.

2 Likes

Oh, I didn’t know about the anti crouch thing. Makes sense to hinder and go for headshots on squishies then. Unless I just feel like fanning them.

A defacto off tank then. Except with a high aim requirement.

Classic McCree strats; glad to see they never left him even if Flashbang 1.0 did.

Just do it the same way as everyone else:

with your favourite OW2 Definitely-Not-Cheat™ installed…

“WHuuuu Br0 who wud cheat in QP… report this fool!!”
*everyone instantly bans the last non-cheat

Yup, CassNade then Headshot is a quick combo to kill a Tracer.

You more or less just use him to peel for your supports.

1 Like

That is not an off tank, because he isnt frontlining.

He is just a mid range hitscan with an anti-flanker/dive tool.

He can threaten flankers, but that is doesnt mean he is an ‘‘off tank’’. He just seems to be the only DPS popular enough to be allowed to threaten flankers. Mei, Sym, Junk and Torb have been basically neutered out of being able to do it.

1 Like

If the enemy has widow you play close to tank cause tank diff and make the enemy team turn on widow.

For this your team need to be good and smart and not get killed.

Also if enemy has two ranged heroes can just be Cassidy hanzo.

While you have no range non dive hero like junku sym etc

Again you playing offtanksh and contest their dps when they Re weak and exposed is better.

When you play against dps contesting is when you enemy has weaker ranger or dive and even if enemy has widow , you have your own or id enemy has cross fire you also have one.

He adapts to range of others.

Be bodyguard, click head

I get that, I was just mildly exaggerating. Like when I say I’m gonna hold W the whole game as Reinhardt.

A defacto off tank, then!

Solo ult Mercy. Probably the best thing about playing Cassidy.

He is a brawler DPS. Play him at the range where fan the hammer is actually useful (not that you should be spamming it - but you could lol).

Use Mcree’s gun to shoot people

There’s literally no way that can work. It’d be too simple.