Hot take. You deserve your rank

I checked someone’s profile just earlier and I lost fate in the matchmaking system.

I have coached that said person back in the past, I have quite literally better stats than him on all the characters that we play, his winrate is better although his stats seem to show that he isn’t overperforming and that person is placed higher than me right now on all 3 roles which actually doesn’t make sense.

This is not copium, I can’t accept that he’s better than me when he’s not.

So why are you so certain that the current system isn’t still flawed?

Stats aren’t important.

I’m tired of seeing people bring up stat comparisons in their matches and the ranks to argue how they should be in a higher rank or someone else doesn’t deserve theirs. This isn’t a Kovaaks or Aimlabs session, points and statistics are meaningless in the ranked discussion.

Statistics are a poor measurement in evaluating how well a player is actually doing in a match. Especially since Overwatch is such a complicated game and raw damage or healing numbers only constitute for a small portion of the “player skill level”. Context is especially important when understanding these statistics as well.
For example, a pick hero like Widowmaker is almost always going to have less damage than a hero like Reaper or Pharah, but they can still be having a greater impact due to the shots they are hitting. Additionally a dps can solely be shooting the enemy tank when they should be taking the harder shot onto enemy squishies and so they are both padding their accuracy and damage stats while poorly or negatively affecting their team. Healers work the same way- heal botting the entire match can be detrimental to your team when you could be dealing damage or creating openings for your team by taking 1v1s or using your cooldowns aggressively.
There’s a thousand ways to construe any number of these statistics in different contexts.

The game also includes aspects of team-synergy, voice communications, positioning, compositions and map team-fight dynamics, ability and cooldown management, etc.

Grandmasters and Plats could have similar statistics for a plethora of reasons as well such as enemies having better pressure on their positions in higher ranks which disallows them to get as much value or different optimal compositional team playstyles which could imply far quicker or far more drawn-out fights which may lead to an observed statistical deviance.

In short, better statistics doesn’t necessarily mean better player.

I don’t see evidence that it was flawed to begin with.

2 Likes

Several developer comments stated that there were serious flaws with the ranking and placement systems, as recently as last week. These are not yet fixed.

Hey Titan!! Have you been playing?
When you gonna join the discord for pugs?

Also, mind linking the thread where they state this? As far as I’m aware there was only a bug keeping people in B5.

I just talked about this in a recent post. Where exactly did they say what you claim they did?

Here is my post on it: (also shown earlier today on this forum)

Howdy! I have not been playing… don’t even have OW2… I haven’t gamed in over a year now, or thereabouts. I thought God of War Ragnarok was for sure going to pull me back in (insert bad Pacino impression here), but I’ve resisted.

I’ve literally never posted a link before. Not sure how, because they’re not allowed or something? Here’s the relevant part though.

"We’re continuing to monitor the health of competitive play and matchmaking across Overwatch 2, both for returning and new players. We’ve made numerous tuning adjustments on the server for both the initial and continued determination of a player’s skill tier and division, many of which will become even more noticeable at the start of Season 2.

We’ve increased the precision of our queue time estimates for each individual role in role queue."

Just google this, it should come right up.

Overwatch 2 Retail Patch Notes - November 17, 2022

I do not follow, apologies….

Where are the “Several developer comments [that stated] there were serious flaws with the ranking and placement systems,” though?

I mean, Blizzard is not going to come out and say “things are horribly broken right now.” The fact that there were “numerous” adjustments and that they’re being implemented is evidence that there were many serious flaws, especially given the complains across many skill tiers.

We’ve made numerous tuning adjustments on the server for both the initial and continued determination of a player’s skill tier and division

In reality you’re not missing much.

• Tanks OP
  • Supports easy hard carry
  • DPS “feel” more impactful because there’s 2 of them.
  • Kiriko is actually a lot of fun

I’m not an English professor but I don’t interpret this as

And I don’t think that’s a semantics issue either.

For all intents and purposes, the only competitive issue is/was those stuck in B5

My experience thus far is most games are

2 Likes

I’m not one of these people who plays a game and buys a slightly new iteration of it over and over again, i.e. the COD, FIFA, Madden gaming model. I even lost a lot of motivation to pick up God of War: Ragnarok after reviewers said “the combat/combat loop hasn’t changed much.” I feel like OW2 is so similar to the first, that if you were burnt out on that gameplay loop, you’re going to be burnt out on this one (and given that the honeymoon phase for new heroes isn’t that long, that’s not much of a draw for me either). I know that for players like Arrge, etc, the actual act of aiming at a target, tracking, and getting the trajectory etc right is so compelling in itself, that every game is interesting and unique and fun and they’re fiending for the satisfaction of hitting hard shots. I just don’t feel that way, aiming is fine, but not fun in itself. And one match is too similar to the next for me, and the whole experience feels very repetitive, especially having played so much of the first. Just not enough variety from match to match or session to session, so I knew it was time to move on. And I figure, well, if the focus moves away from solely gameplay stuff to more zen stuff like “the quest for self-improvement,” then it just seems logical to me to transfer that energy/mindset to things that not only tick the “fun” checkbox, but also the “meaningful” checkbox: programming, picking up some new academic discipline, martial arts, working out, the arts, or some other “long-game” activity that has real world benefits.

I just see gaming as an elaborate trap at this point.

I do think it’s somewhat semantics. I largely don’t expect marketing-speak to reveal much about the truth or to phrase things in such a way that it prioritizes accuracy over self-interest or public perception. So when a company says they’re making “numerous changes” to a key aspect of their product (particularly when there’s widespread complaints and discontent across many tiers of that community), it suggests that there are many substantial issues or “serious flaws.” I’m not opposed to the idea that someone could interpret Blizzard’s statements differently though.

Why wouldn’t they claim that things weren’t working as intended? They did so with the massive Bronze 5 bug. It would also cater to the players who won’t accept that there isn’t a problem with ranked. I don’t think you can confidently state that “tuning adjustments” is probable evidence that the ranking system had “many serious flaws”.

1 Like

someone doesn’t play support and it shows

1 Like

RIGHT!? You can be healing the crap out of your team but 3 teams out of every 4 have people with atrocious positioning, that despite you asking them to come back to cover, and all the heals you can give them they just die and feed over and over.

I love playing support, but I only want to play with people who will benefit from it properly, but bliz just keeps giving me nothing to work with.

You basically just stopped at the word stats and made an argumentation around it.

I have COACHED the guy and I know exactly how he plays. I was GM back then and he’s still between Plat-Diamond. I have better game sense and I’m mechanically more skilled then him.

The losses are so forced I can literally predict when I win or lose right at the start. I just had my 7 wins update and I said “the next games are going to go : 3 losses - 1 win - 2 losses”. So far I have 3 loss, 1 win and 1 loss down, the next one should be a loss aswell according to my prediction. After that I’m most likely going to win 2… It doesn’t make sense that I can be THIS accurate at predicting what’s going to happen. Now you’re going to give me some mental bs that is causing me to play worst for these specific games, no, please don’t start. The matchmaking is broken, they’ve said it was and it’s very apparent that it is.

5 Likes

The matchmaking is broken, fake, and rigged as some of us have always said.

MMR is the problem.

They should turn it off. It’s that simple.

2 Likes

Whenever I feel down after prioritizing my stats (per some folks on here), focusing on positioning, bettering my own individual gameplay, and still getting a streak of losses because support doesn’t have a big impact on match outcome, which causes me to de-rank or stay the same rank, I like to queue dps and boycott the system by playing the worst and most unfamiliar class (Widow).

If I bust my butt and still stay the same rank, why should these other idiots who do nothing as dps and get gold get the benefit of playing in my lobbies?

This is like saying “if you can’t afford a home in 2022, you’re just lazy and need to work harder.”

Is the sky blue in the world you live in?

Why does there need to be all this secrecy in this ranking system? Where people have to speculate and try to figure out why and how it operates? Turn off this magical MMR nonsense and have a straight rank. You win, you go up, you lose, you go down. This “mysterious” system only seems to give Blizzard a cop out of not actually trying to have to answer to why the match maker is the way it is.

2 Likes

You know what the funniest thing is? One of the reasons for keeping all of this a secret is cause it’s supposedly a secret formula and should be kept that way from competitors’ games.

Don’t worry Blizz. Nobody’s gonna steal this formula cause it doesn’t work AT ALL. Any game company with any sense would stay away from it so that they don’t lose player base.

2 Likes