Homophobia in OW Community

How does one sound gay? If you don’t straight up tell me your preferences in the bed sheets, which is something which I honestly don’t want to hear from anyone besides my partner.

Or is it that your voice is funny and people associate that with being gay for some reason?

5 Likes

I would suggest that would be a bold statement considering you only have a very limited window of knowledge. Especially when this is obviously an exasperated plea for a more tolerant community. =)

No one said that toxicity is acceptable. It’s just that this has been brought up so many times and it does not deserve its own special case or priority or the other forms of toxicity.

It’s still toxicity, but you are provided the tools to block it out. You can never fully get rid of it, it’s an endless battle

5 Likes

this must be your first online shooter then, this happens in every community including destiny,cod and etc. Nothing can be done about it people will say what they want, report and move on.

2 Likes

Frankly I sound gay. lol.

I’m just asking for a more tolerant community is all for all things.

It’s not… this is also the worst that I’ve experienced in a while though.

1 Like

For starters how do people even find out your sexual preference while playing Overwatch? People don’t care about your sexuality and telling people that you are a homosexual is just giving trolls/toxic players ammunition against you. The is a popular online multiplayer game everyone here has probably been called a f****T at some point. Maybe not in overwatch but in a different popular online game.

3 Likes

yeah. but the very nature of it being used as a generic insult implies that being gay as a person is degrading enough to be used as an insult in the first place. kinda like “you X like a girl” (e.g. you fight like a girl, you throw like a girl) is misogynist or sexist. Because this insult/saying was or most likely is still being used as derogatory due to the implication that girls aren’t (“traditionally”) good at doing X. Which is why OP’s underlying statement is to stop using “gay” as an insult. Because a) it’s homophobic, b) queer people are people and should be respected, and c) being gay shouldn’t be seen or used as a derogatory word.

9 Likes

I may not be gay but I have extensive experience with harassment across the board. People choose the easiest targets to build themselves up, not because they have a hatred for what you inherently are. Exasperated is right, maybe if you were less defensive this thread would be better received.

5 Likes

its interesting how loud and aggressive the don’t cares are

5 Likes

You do realize that tons of people use that insult towards anyone even if they’re not gay right? So I’m pretty sure that it wasn’t because of your sexuality, so there’s no need to take it personally. You’ll just have to report, and move on like many other people do. :woman_shrugging:

Edit: They wouldn’t be targeting you because of your sexuality unless you outright told them you were gay for some reason.

6 Likes

I’m not surprised you get flamed in voice chat and such in-game.
I watched a few videos of StaR2D2 yeasterday and she was in a game where one guy said he was going to rape her, and that she should stop playing games and get into the kitchen instead.

2 Likes

your just saying tons of people are massive homophobic

1 Like

So in essence people are making fun of your voice and you happen to be gay which is also how you sound?

3 Likes

Real talk - one of the guys I play with is the definition of flaming homosexual (i.e., to use his words, ‘you hear the gay’), and he’s never in any of our probably hundreds of games at this point had any derogatory terms thrown at him.

I have a feeling there’s more to this story than you may be letting on. If you’re hostile to other players, people will always go for the low hanging fruit and harass you on your voice, actions, mains, etc. General rule of thumb is don’t be a dick and most people won’t be a dick to you. If you’re really encountering people who are that hostile that often, make sure you’re not adding to the hostility.

Either this is a well disguised bait or you’ve got some problems you’ve got to work out.

9 Likes

Folks, I don’t need to tell people I’m gay for people to realize I’m gay. I’m sorry, it’s just not a thing that needs to happen. I’m just asking for us as a community to please please be more respectful of one another…

And at the end of the day, I get trash talking - it’s cool with me. Tell me I’m a crap player. Tell me that my accuracy sucks, tell me that my character choice isn’t optimal for the team - fine. I can handle all of that. As I said, when things get personal and hate speech is whipped out is when I have a problem.

Also, I find this HILARIOUS. Just because you have ONE friend who’s never had problems with this particular situation this automatically becomes an obvious issue with me? That’s bloody well hilarious.

9 Likes

That’s sucks, but haters are gonna always hate.
Just realize you’re not gonna change their mind, they’ll live and die bigots and that’s just what they are.
No matter what they say, if you just keep your composure and act like it doesn’t bother you they won’t get the reaction they want and they’ll likely leave you alone.

But I realize it’s hard to just be told “have thick skin”, nobody likes to get bullied. Just stay positive.
winky face

2 Likes

Dont use voice chat, leave voice chat, use voice chat but mute it. Muting is a thing
If you have a problem with the community dont get a forum to give you attention, take action in-game and fix it

1 Like

Looks like that’s going to be a thing now. I mean, I dislike not being able to coordinate in a comp game, but it is what it is.

And, I do take action in-game. I’m coming to the forums in a, what clearly is, a last ditch futile attempt to plea for a little more tolerance in our community and attempt to the humanity in my fellow players.

2 Likes

A lot of young people play this game, young people with as yet poorly developed social norms, raging hormones and poor self control. Do you not remember your school years, mine were 5 decades ago, and I certainly recall being taunted for my name, appearance, the shoes I wore, the football team I supported and any number of things schoolkids could think up.
While I offer no excuse for young people behaving this way, the excess of youth is a thing, and I suspect a thing that will not be going away anytime soon unless Blizzard feels like banning a fairly substantial proportion of the playerbase, or the US fashion of drugging children who do not conform becomes more widespread (which I hope never happens).

2 Likes

Report the people who say this stuff because that’s just plain harassment. I’m sorry you have to go through this kind of stuff </3.
The toxicity in overwatch has become such a problem recently i’ve found. I can’t play a game as widowmaker or even like ana without somone telling me to kms and stuff like that. I dont feel like anything is being done about it but blizzard can only do so much I suppose. /:

3 Likes