Homophobia in OW Community

All I’ve got to say about this is that the Overwatch’s community needs to get over their homophobia real quick. I’ve been called a [Edited by Blizzard] so many times over the last 6 months that it’s really starting to get ridiculous. I get it as a proud and out gay man that sometimes I can sound really gay sometimes. However, it’s really cowardly to sit behind a keyboard and demean someone just because they ‘sound gay.’

There’s a large portion of gay gamers in this community. Let’s respect each other.

Forum Mod Edit: This post has been edited by a moderator due to language. Blizzard Support - Forum Code of Conduct

86 Likes

or we could just not bring it up and cause inevitable arguments on the forums.

65 Likes

At this point I already disassociate that word with homosexuals. It just became another generic insult. Even if you’re not gay, people would still use that insult just to make them feel better

31 Likes

I thought south park already changed the definition of that word to mean “Harley Bike Riders”

32 Likes

Well, no. I’m not going to suffer in silence anymore. Sorry 'bout it.

26 Likes

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)

19 Likes

I find it to just be part of the list of insults people use

7 Likes

LOL So, we’re saying toxicity is acceptable? And we’re saying that it’s alright to say vile things to people from behind the safety of a keyboard?

Do I need to mention that it’s straight up hate speech?

32 Likes

I play with a friend who sounds gay all the time and I’m pretty sure he is but I don’t care. But I have never heard or seen people bash him for it in voice comms.

If you’re talking about the whole representation of gay characters needing to be added, and players bashing that person who asks for them to be added, that is something entirely different from homophobia.

7 Likes

Maybe you should game with me then. It happens often.

3 Likes

We’re saying there has to be a balance between punishing truly toxic players but also having a bit of a thicker skin when you play games online. People say things they don’t really mean because it can be fun to wind people up, everyone has been called things on the internet and the best thing you can do is get over it.

11 Likes

How does someone sound ‘gay’? I live in a town where is it is rare someone chooses to be gay.

Just have to have a thick skin anywhere you go on the internet. I’m sure we all been called 50 different things when team is playing badly. I simply report and move on.

3 Likes

Kinda off topic, but a lot of the gay community sounds different like you said. I wonder why that is, or if they do it on purpose. I know there is a spectrum of “normal” sounding voice to the obnoxiously flamboyant voice that some have.

In those cases, I probably would start to lose my cool too. Because it is annoying to listen to.

It isn’t a choice. But I’m not going to derail the topic and get this locked.

5 Likes

Alright, Elixer: I think being called a f****ing f@g and being told to rot in hell repeatedly isn’t about winding someone up for fun. I get competitive trash talking is a thing and I’m totally OK with it. It’s when it gets mean spirited and personal that it’s a problem. And trust, after being out for long enough, my hide is plenty thick…but thanks for your obvious suggestion. :slight_smile:

And Mariox, it’s scientifically proven that some gay men have a more feminine voice tone. To further educate you, I sure as hell wouldn’t choose to be gay if I got a choice, for many reasons. That being said, I’ve long since accepted that I am gay and I’m totally OK with it - but just don’t think it’s a choice. Human sexuality exists on a spectrum and there isn’t a lot of choice behind genetics.

8 Likes

Nobody said that it’s acceptable, and nobody said it’s alright.

But the in-game report options exist for a reason. Use them. You don’t need to come complaining to the forums when other, more appropriate tools exist that will actually get you results.

13 Likes

Blockquote

WOW. That’s exactly the kind of thing I’m talking about. I can’t change my voice tone. It’s also not shrill or whatever… what I’m saying is I shouldn’t have to deal with getting flamed over it. I’m just asking for a little bit of respect and tolerance.

13 Likes

Alright, well you don’t have to be a jerk about it. Maybe you’re being told to rot in hell for reasons other than your sexual preferences.

10 Likes

Well, call it a PSA. I do use the in-game reporting functions. Perhaps a forum post will help raise the profile of the issue and remind certain sections of our community that it’s definitely not OK.

But thanks for your thoughts.

3 Likes

You know the type of voice I’m talking about. The “normal gay” feminine voice is fine.

I’m talking about the theatrical gay voices that I believe are an act and attention seeking

5 Likes

And what would you suggest that they would be when it comes as a whole sentence from a teammate? hmmm?

Yeah… I don’t really think the extra attention seeking is needed via overly flamboyant and theatrical voice tones, either. I’m just here to play a game and I just want to be able to relax on a Sunday night without being harassed is all.

5 Likes