High CPU usage and tempurature when starting Overwatch

I have a 5800x and 3080Ti. When starting Overwatch, CPU suage spikes to 100% and around 97c. After a couple seconds in main menu, my CPU usage and temps will decrease back to normal usage and temps. It use to not do this until just recently, no changes have been made.

4 Likes

Probably have a control app for the GPU or performance that turns on ā€œboostā€ when you first load the game. But the client itself doesnā€™t illicit that behavior.

1 Like

I have noticed same thing. When I start Overwatch my CPU temps go up to 79C in main menu. While playing temp stays normal 60C. I never reached 79C in any game ever. This high temp in OW menu never happen before as well.

I have underclocked i3-10105F from 4200 to 4000MHz.

97C degrees on CPU is very worying and you should probly buy aftermarket cooler for it or just underclock it like I did with mine. I cant really see any performance difference in games, but I can see noticeable difference in temps without having to buy cooler.

2 Likes

hey man iā€™m experiencing the same issue please tell me if you fixed it
Its happening on both overwatch 2 and overwatch

2 Likes

Not fixed, if you have problems with temps which comes with this high CPU usage after starting the game then you need to do following:

Configure power saving plan in Windows. You need to go to Power options and there click ā€œchange plan settingsā€ by right side of ā€œPower saverā€ plan and there click on ā€œChange advanced power settingsā€ and there in ā€œProcessor power managementā€ change system cooling policy to: ACTIVE and set maximum processor state to 40% or less.

You wanna be starting Overwatch with this Power saver plan active and wait till your CPU utilization goes down which usually takes 2 or 3 minutes in main menu, then you can switch back to Ballanced (High performance plan will not give you more performance than ballanced as some people think, it will just make your CPU run at highest frequency even when you dont need it so there is going to be unnecessary high Voltage all the time which will just degrade your CPU faster, so yeah use Ballanced power plan for gaming).

Sry my english isnt best but I hope you understand and it helps. :smiley:

2 Likes

I have the same problem with my 5600X and RTX 3050
This problem came after changing GPU
The problem went away for a while, I think I changed the video card driver to a later one, not sure. Now the latest driver is at 23.07, the problem is still with me

Listen I have been gaming and building computers all my life and never have I had my rig shutdown because of CPU temps hitting 100 degrees , I have water cooling running a AMD 5090x and same thing is happening to everyone in the thread , i switch on ow1 bang 100 degrees on menu PC shutdown , i can play any other game at 55 degrees up to 60 but ow straight to 100 degrees on menu , have a look into because its started happening with this game and only started happening very recently

1 Like

Power Plan seems to have done the trick, I donā€™t know whats happened in these recent patch but there is something very wrong with voltage spikes and power usage on my CPU when i launch ow and get to the menu very weird that i need to switch the power plan to saver mode just so my PC doesnt shut down wtf

2 Likes

Im glad it helped. :slight_smile:

If your PC is shutting down with 100% CPU utilization (Which could have beed caused by launching Overwatch) then your CPU cooler is probably insufficient or your PSU is too weak (or faulty) for your system. But if it works, it works, just use power saver if you dont understand computers at all. You can also use Power saver when youre browsing on internet or stuff which can prolong lifespan of your components.

Its normal, when you play this demanding games because those are mostly more GPU demanding and your CPU utilization wont get even near 100%, it may can get high when you launch the game or alt+tab from game or something, but its mostly arround 50-60% with my i3-10105F in games. You can try Cinebench to see if you dont get to 100C.

This Overwatch bug when launching it shoots my CPU usage above 90% which is basically like stress testing it, my i3 goes in Prime95 above 90C, but its okay while gaming if there is not some problem like this.

I buildt myself the best computer in the market i have 1200 watt power supply and all the CPU overclock configs are done by me , also set up the water cooling which has been running everything perfectly on 4k on every game perfectly with max temps of 75 under max load , so ow is the only outlier weird , thanks anyways

I would try no OC maybe, but if you can do stress tests like PRIME95 without shutting down, then there is no problem. Try PRIME95 if it shuts down so you can know for sure. :slight_smile: You can also let run Furmark with it so your GPU gets into some load too. :slight_smile: This two will stress test you PC so thoroughly it wont have a chance to hit utilization like this in any game ever.

Just note that even with good water-cooling that PRIME95 can spike your temps very high.

Also there is no point in overclocking Ryzen 5900X, you do overclocking when your CPU isnt sufficient anymore, this will just shortne your CPUs and Motherboards lifespans if there is needed higher Voltage for it to be stable.

lol I have a samsung g9 5k resoultion there is no hardware that can run cyberpunk 2077 at that res so even at 4.8ghz OC still donā€™t get 60 frames xDDD , who cares about lifespan i always overlocked every piece of hardware since 2010 to the max , it will never reach the end of its lifespan before you replace with a better one atleast thats been the case for me

You wont get much more frames by overclocking CPU, what you might wanna overclock is GPU.

Yeah CPU still should last very long, thats true. :slight_smile: Yeah if you can afford replacing your system every few years then go for it I guess. :smiley: But you aint gonna see much difference. I have underclocked i3 and I see no difference from when it was running at full, I underclocked it so I dont have to buy tower cooler and can use stock one. I just hate spending more money if I can spend less and buy something else with the rest, when I go to food store I buy only things in discount. :smiley:

Not in blizzard games, their games arenā€™t over clock friendly and you will end up causing yourself more headache with game crashing (especially overwatch) if you overclock the GPU.

EDIT

I was having these strange issues too opening the game and seeing temps rising above what they normally do.

Installed the latest NVIDIA Driver (516.93) and it resolved the issue. Iā€™'m running a RTX 3090 (ROG STRIX) .

You mean that it has resolved this high CPU usage when launching the game ? I will try that then.

EDIT: Nope this didnt solve high CPU usage for few minutes after launching the game for me as I was expecting it to not solve this because I dont think GPU drivers have any kind of control over the CPU. :slight_smile: But its okay I guess if we have a way arround it with Power saver scheme. :slight_smile:

Ive also noticed higher GPU temps I think in hero selection screen, but it wasnt anything huge, maybe +5C and my temps are still arround 45-50C on GPU which is great. I think those higher temps on GPU may be updates making this game more ready for OW2 so its understandable I guess.

Make sure when you install the latest NVIDIA drivers you do it manually, not through GeFORCE Experience, in fact remove Geforce Experience.

Also select Custom install and check CLEAN INSTALL. Thatā€™s how I always do them.

Yeah I know how to install drivers and you can easily do just express instalation when youre just updating them. I never had any problems with that. Its just one of those YouTube myths so people have something to make videos about so they can harvest money on themā€¦ This hoaxes just come naturally with video monetization system.

As I said I dont think GPU drivers have any kind of control over CPU anyway.

Well in my situation it resolved the problems which seems very similar to yours. Clean install vs normal install, I always go with clean install because it removes the OLD driver before hand.

Short of that then you might consider the DDU tool since you have nothing else to lose.

No but a buggy Graphics driver can cause high CPU, Iā€™ve seen it happen with a bad release of ICUE software from Corsair. Plus it has happened before

Yeah I will absolutelly try that. :smiley: