"Hide and rez wasn't a thing"

There are several types of people:

A. Mass ressurect will never come back it was unfun

B. Resurrect is a mechanic that doesn’t belong in Overwatch it should be removed entirely

C. Mercy mains are -insert insult and or generalization about entire player base-

D. All of the above

If by “the best thing” you mean “purposely throwing games to force 5-man Rez multiple times per match to artificially inflate my SR to boost me to GM+”, then yes, it was the “best” thing. ._.

You have no idea how to play Mercy, dude.

3 Likes

I like how uninformed you are…

A Mercy who’d hide before the teamfight even started would basically force a 5v6 fight, which is lost most of the time. Yes, hide and rez was a viable tactic to bait out enemy ultimates, but only in lower ranks where ult economy doesn’t exist.

Because then Mercy becomes a must pick and instantly rules the support roster again. No other support can bring someone back, it will instantly make her so much better than every other support.

1 Like

I prefer “Hide 'n die” myself:

8 Likes

Taking cover while using Rez in the middle of a fight is not the same as hiding and not participating in a fight so your team 5v6 so you can swoop in after to Rez them.

1 Like

Every time I see that posted, I think of this thread

1 Like

Now thats just false, sometimes its better to rez that single genji with dragonblade, sometimes its better to rez those 2 people in a Good position rather than waiting for the other 3 to die and have it possibly be in a horrible position leading to a rewipe, with rez the highest number isn’t the most valuable unlike kills which garuntee a result which is the enemy is now at a disadvantage, rez is just a “you’re back to square one but yours may still be at a disadvantage due to bad positioning or enemy ultimates being charged from your allies deaths or other factors”

It depends is it overtime and using grav will stop that x insert hero from getting on point? Will isolating an important member of the enemy team be worth it enough, what if I make sure they lose access to their healer for a few seconds so we can finish them off? Depending on the situation, yes.

Does said teammate have ult, is this ult valuable, does this teammate need to survive, does the enemy team have any ults that can be used to capitalize on the loss of trans depending on the situation, yes.

See trans and above arguments for reasons, yes.

It’s stopping a snowball before it begins that can be very useful especially if they say picked my zenyatta with trans or my Reinhardt with earthshatter can completely change the course of a fight and sometimes single rezzing was the best use of ult

Also as to the premise of the thread its not hide and rez didnt exist its that only bad mercys used hide and rez

She was changed because when she got her ult, she would then hide. It was not to protect herself like the current E does.

honestly if mercy players just hide before anything happens they are bad.

there is a difference between making sure if zar graves your team you won’t be in it and not doing anything.

But lets remove mecree/soldier their ult because they sometimes hide to get more kills while their team is dying because of the lack of damage.

huh what is it?

not all of them hide and let their team die?

well…

maby not all mercy players hide and let their team die to get potg just like the other dps.

why does this even need to be said?

3 Likes

The forums have these weird amnesia where they forgot that Zarya grav was buffed to disable movement abilities the amount of Zarya grav was never changed during dragonball as a reason to not nerf zarya, it was ridiculous how so many people forgot such a huge buff

Actually in that situation if the person down has an ult that will turn the tide of the fight then it would be acceptable for Mass Res to be used to bring that one person back so that they can use their ult to swing the situation in the team’s favor.

Just like it was acceptable to use Mass Res to bring back 2-3 people to maintain parity and try to stop the snowball and turn the fight around.

4-5 people was rare, and often times out of desperation more then anything in trying to recover the situation. As the more people dead the higher the failure rate got for recovering thanks to a mass res.

Now the 4-5 man Mass Res was great under the condition of the enemy has dumped all of their offensive ults and lacked the ability to easily rekill the group, but otherwise it was the least effective thing to aim for as it was very very conditional in being successful.

I remember one match in the 3rd part of Route 66 where my team had 0 ults, the enemy just died with their ults all on the payload and Mercy flew out and barely managed to res the team before I killed her, as this was before the buff where res made her invulnerable.

Thing was I was on Bastion in sentry mode on the payload, so despite her getting a vaunted 5 man res with her team having the ult advantage I slaughtered 3 of her team mates before they could pop their ults let alone do anything. The last 2 proceeded to get torn apart by my team as they were heavily outnumbered. That moment gave me play of the game.

I also remember plenty of games where I saw a Mass Res that was a 4-5 man get slaughtered by a D.Va ult, McCree ult, Junkrat tire, Reaper ult, Pharah ult… actually truth be told I only ever saw the 5 man res be successful once, that was because the moment the Zen could do anything he popped trans to keep the team alive long enough to do anything.

Mass Res was one of those ults that required a higher level of thinking to get the most out of because of how conditional it was, how variable the reward was, and the reasons why you deploy it. This made it so that overall the total number of res uses was low. Its why when we got the rework the average amount of ressed players shot up 3x over when she had Mass Res. There was no thought processes behind it as it was unshackled from its conditionals and variability.

2 Likes

Thats a mass over exaggeration it was 10-14 seconds at most unless your trying to say the damage to kill them all took that long

As much as i find her current ult to be rather lackluster and underwhelming, i’m glad her mass rez is gone. Too many games revolved around keeping the mercy alive just long enough for the team to rush in, blow their ults to clear the point, die to the other team’s survivors or the other team’s ults and have Mercy swoop in and rez the team to pick off the stragglers for the win. Ugh.

I’ve been both on the receiving end of it, and i’ve been the Mercy to do the job and i’m so very glad it’s gone.

1 Like

It was a valid strategy a lot of the times.

Also there’s a HUGE difference between taking cover (which is Mercy’s de facto state) and hiding (away from your team), which is what “Hide and rez” referred to.

It’s there job to kill things. Thats why it’s ok for them to do it.

But for Mercy to leave her team to die, was against what her job is.

Dps = kill = went and killed things
Healer = healer = told her team to die

It’s really not that complicated that to understand.

Go watch the dev update before committing. They do say this themselves.

And I’m sorry not absolutely 100% of mecry players did it. But you can’t deny pretty much most of the community did.

And its not at all about getting potg. It was a team winning ult every time. Bring that many people suddenly back absolutely crushed the attacking team.

Again, watch the dev update. They say is.

Mass rez isn’t coming back. Deal with it. Or at least come up with new ideas to help Mercy.

I thought hide and rez was a thing but then I realized all that time I spent running around the map trying to make sure Mercy wasn’t tucked in some corner about to GA in was just an acid flashback. My time spent watching youtube videos and follow Mercy hide and rez discussions was all just some fever induced dream I mistook for reality as this forum has taught me none of that happened.

I’m sure if I googled Mercy hiding spots I’d get like 0 relevant resul… Wait wtf is this? WAS IT REAL AFTER ALL???

/MINDBLOWN.

So much money wasted on unnecessary therapy…

1 Like

Not only are you of course right, but the reality is that there were times that Mercy was motivated to let her team die instead of healing them as a strategy, because bringing everyone back at full is exponentially more efficient than trying to keep them all up.

This is wrong on every level.

1 Like

That is a really good way to keep your team dead and lose the match. It was good to dodge ults where you had no chance of out healing the ult, but to outright let the team die as long as you had ult was just inefficient to the point you would just lose constantly unless the enemy team was truly terrible that you team could win with just an off healer for support.

Though I do remember games where I was the solo healer zen and my team stomped the enemy team. So it is not like it is impossible for it to work, but you would have something like a 10-30% win rate.

3 Likes

Hide an rez wasn’t always a thing, because most Mercies would do a tempo rez, since it was the most valuable option (2-3 people)

Hide&Rez implies that the mercy was hiding before the start of the fight. Meaning the team was efffectively fighting a 5v6 and without a main healer. Meaning, at the time mercy is doing hiding part her team was an extreme disadvantage that they could easily lose without the enemy using ults. So yeah, hide and rez was bad

I dont even care if mass rez comes back. It s just the very idea of hide and rez was that mercy hides for a big rez. That is not advantageous at all unless the enemy just sucks at keeping track of ultimate economy