Heroes are becoming to similar

Ive noticed a trend that if a hero has a unique kit or playstyle eventually it shifts towards generic shooter hero.

Sym 1.0 is nothing like current Sym
Torb Lost armor packs and t3 turret for a buff that makes him fire faster
Hanzo lost scatter arrors (thank god) for a buff that makes him fire fast
Mei lost her freeze for a better beam
Orisa Lost her pull orb and curved shield
Doomfist went from DPS to Tank and changed him

Then we get a hero like LW who kit is unique and interesting to use, and people suggesting that he should be more like X Hero or X ability.

Now some of these changes were good or needed, but it just feels like if a hero has some interesting ability or kit, eventually they will be changed to be more “competitive” but lose what made them interesting or unique.

This is just a rant becuase it feels like this game is just becoming another CoD

4 Likes

Yeah, gradually and basically.

That’s what happens when you have an absolutely goofy premise and try to push it as something to take seriously.

Eveeeeeentually, all characters do the same things and serve the same purposes, just with different aesthetics. I’ve seen it a few other places.

3 Likes

I mean, there’s nothing wrong with heroes having kits that are similar. Torb and Sym have always been similar: They’re builders, they use turrets, they’re primarily defensive.

Now look at Reinhardt and Ramattra. They’re both big, melee oriented Tanks that hit hard, are tough to take down, and can create tons of space with large, AOE ults with limited tools to poke long range targets with. They also have a big shield to protect their team.

Or Brigitte and Moira. They’re both close to mid range dps oriented Supports, that rely on damage to output as much healing as they can, while being tough to take down and being able to protect their backline from flankers, with good, but somewhat limited, mobility.

But these heroes all have different astetics. They all fill their similar roles in different ways, and have different strengths and weaknesses. Their cooldowns are also completely different. As more and more heroes are added, there’s going to be less uniqueness kit by kit. Lifeweaver may be the first Support to create a platform, but now we’ve got it done once, chances are we’ll see it again. Ramattra will likely be the first of many stance switchers. Uniqueness comes from the character and how they apply their tools, not necessarily the tools themselves. Multiple heroes can have a Cripple like Cassidy. But, instead of being a single target, maybe it’ll be a small AOE that follows the user, crippling the enemy while they’re standing too close to the user?

1 Like

Because you have tsunamis of players whining about counterpicking lol

5 Likes

Eh, people have been saying that ever since OW1 Orisa (“She’s just a Rein who can’t move her shield & with a mini-Zarya ult!”) was introduced.

What heroes are “generic shooter heroes” besides Soldier?

Exactly how they screwed up WoW.

1 Like

Its not that they are similar, it that they are changing heroes who were different and making them similar.

You can have similar heroe, but i just dont like when you take a hero who was different and make them more like other heroes.

The game felt more unique early one, but over time as they changed, reworked, and added in new heroes, they just start to feel bland or just like other heroes.

3 Likes

I feel this is really hyperbolic. Like super hyperbolic.

This is a game where you have a character who uses a big hammer, a cyberninja (aka dollar store grey fox), a flying robot lady, really out of shape Scorpion from MK who got a shotgun, and a giant robot ball mech piloted by a literal hamster.

Its not in danger of becoming “another CoD” clone.

You people are exhausting lol.

1 Like

It wont ever become just a CoD clone, but when they change or remove abilities that separated Overwatch from just another FPS for something similar, it feels like the game is heading towards that directions

3 Likes

I prefer the torb rework and sym v3, over their release states.

1 Like

like i said some were good, but what made them intresting back then was changed and im my opnion Sym is closer to being just another shooter now then she was before. She was shifted away from a unique and different play style to something closer to the rest of the cast, and im not a fan of that.

3 Likes

Just Widow and Ashe, off the top of my head. Maybe McAss. Maybe Ana if you squint at her kit because she has a gun, a lethal, and a tactical, but honestly,

is subjective at this point, and imo, has been since games like COD BO3, Titanfall, maybe even way back at COD BO2 in some regards.

At this point, someone could make the argument that Bastion has become a

and I wouldn’t even argue with that. Doesn’t mean it proves an important point, or is relevant to the health of the game, but it’s there I guess. It’s a thing that exists. That’s about it.

If 3-5 characters in a game with 40+ characters are somewhat generic, I’m not too concerned. There has to be something generic somewhere, this game is supposed to be about representing many different playstyles, and generic is a playstyle too.

Exactly. Of all the things to make a big fuss about on the forums, what a letdown. The game has issues, a LOT of them, but this ain’t one of them.

There are 36 if i counted right

But my point is that they are taking different play styles are making them more “generic”

Sym is closer to a generic shooter now then she was before
Torb is closer to a generic shooter now
Mei is closer to a generic beam shooter then before

Its not that they are generic its that they feel closer to a generic shooter then before.

Correct but when they remove or change a playstyle so its more similar to another, im not a fan of that.

2 Likes

Sym charges up orbs and launches them, or has a laser beam.

Torb shoots glowing rivets with considerable bullet drop, or a shotgun alt fire.

Mei killed Mr. Freeze and stole his gun / vibe.

How is any of that “generic shooter”

1 Like

That’s what happens when you get a new hero at the frequency it’s occurring at.

Did you read the next line i wrote?

They still are unique, but they have moved closer to being another shooter. Torb lost his upgradable turret and armor packs, sym lost alot and after this latest patch turrets are almost useless, Mei lost her freeze, hanzo lost scatter arrow, ect

Now some of the chanages were needed and some were good, but they lost a part that made them unique and what replaced them was something more generic. Hanzo and Torb just shoot faster, mei lost freeze for just more DPS, Sym is mainly a orb fireing and less of a builder, ITs not that they now are generic but they feel more generic then before.

2 Likes

Yeah, they made the characters more active instead of passive.

Also, syms turrets are not useless, they serve a different function. they are no longer “lol i got a free kill cus the person walked into this room too fast lolz”, cus come on that was lame. Use them like a security system to let you know when people are flanking.

You keep calling them generic, but they’re not even remotely generic. They’re just not builders anymore. Overwatch, OW2 specifically is fairly fast paced, a slow passive builder playstyle just doesnt mesh well with the rest of it.

I actually love new Sym and Torb. They feel less cheese and more fun.