Hero Pools Will Kill Overwatch and Here is Why

What hero has only 1 hero that they are countered by though? There’s plenty of options

How do hero bans work when 6 people all vote for completely different heros?

I think hero bans are an interesting idea for actual organized teams/play where people can come to a consensus, but in ranked it’s just going to be people voting to ban their counters.

1 Like

Thank god its not applied in quickplay. If ana or mercy is banned in quickplay the what do i have to play?

Cause they would not do it. Some heroes would be consistently banned over others. System would work flawlessly just like it does in every other game that uses it. And its in there for a good reason as well in every other game, and OW is faced with the exact same problem those game faced without it. Stale metas, constant requirement of balance patches and simply broken hero combinations. Hero bans allows you to focus more on putting out new heroes rather than trying to perfect the balance among the existing ones. You will get a constant meta shift and most importantly you let the players dictate the way they want to play the game.

So gg. We have tons of character X onetricks in QP for a week. Buhu.

Thats whats gona happen.

literally everyone asked for hero bans in competitive (like LOL). The only difference is, those bans are random. If you consider the hate for certain heroes and how broken certain heroes are (hanzo for example) then if you gave me the power to decide which hero should get banned, it would be Hanzo 100% of the time for me. So those hero pools (de facto random hero bans) is the best solution here imho.
You need Hero bans to prevent metas to exist for to long, its not something you may want or not but something that IS needed and this WILL be healthy for the game overall. Just because you are an Ana onetrick or something like that and you are afraid that you have to play Zen, Mercy or Baptiste doesnt mean its everyone´s opinion. And im pretty sure those Tank/Sup mains that are crying already would be happy af about those hero bans if it were only for DPS.
Yeah… i love those tanks/sups who tell me who to play and most of the time its those who get toxic while beeing useless because they are a certain tank onetrick but in their bubble there are no bad tank/sup onetricks, only dps onetricks are bad!

Don’t knock it till you try it.

Please no one plays tank to “unwind” :rofl:

Talking about being over dromatic.

I asked for it and I want it, it keeps the game fresh unless you are a one-trick I don’t see what’s your problem.

You should at least have 2 mains from each role, this is the norm.

Just because you said so? Comp is the game.

I can’t believe you are even asking this. Gee, I wonder why? maybe because most of us hate to be forced to play a meta for months?

good for you.

1 Like

Well, to me this seems like a better solution over hero bans and what they have been doing now. A.k.a questionable sledgehammer nerfs and hero introductions (Brig) to try and force the meta to change.
Sure “limiting choice” and all that but was there really that much choice to begin with? (In higher levels I mean.) Sure, you technically can play whatever hero but if your chance of success is so heavily tied to playing a certain hero, that choice is just an illusion.
Also, I think this a lot healthier solution than hero bans because bans can be too easily abused IMO (this game relies a lot on hero synergies and counter-picks) and cause some very unfortunate surprises to players. With hero pools you’ll always be aware of what can and can not be played, instead of going into the match and “Oh what a lovely day to play some- D’oh! My main just got banned!”

2 Likes

I’m sorry you don’t like the change and I appreciate the support you’ve been giving to the game, but the change is not that dramatic to quit OW and there are a lot of other players besides you, who won’t quit. It will definetly will not kill OW.

1 Like

please no hero pool jeff…

Just play in scrims, if you truly love this game, you would try to get the very best experience.
You do not play with hero bans if you play in scrims.

(as long as you play in a normal setting and not tournament oriented which want to play live comp ruleset.)

Not argumenting for or against it, just showing a path.

But if i would, then i think its a good thing for competetive, based on the idea, we have to try and see.

but I love nanners, they nice

Overall me and my friends are really excited about all the great news especially the faster balancing and the experimental card sound like fun. The hero rotation is a bit of a strange topic though. See we are plat console players and really enjoy the game. For us Hero bans would have been a nice way to dealing with heroes like moira or phara. My friends always rage about Moiras beam and her not requiring any sort of skill to enquire a kill especially in low rank and on console where aiming is really hard. So to be fair I came here hoping to get in touch with the developers and to make our voices heard. Please do something with moira I understand that she isn’t op in any sort of way and when she does damage she’s not helping the team but she is so freakin Frustrating to play against thats all she is on console please just at least reduce hear range and give her some interesting new utility instead that would be absolutely huge. I love the character overall and she’s fun to play as but yea you get the point. So that’s why we were a little bit sad that there was no way for us to decide which heroes could be banned. But other than that great news overall I’m happy to try out new concepts and ideas and pls rework moira thanks ^^

1. People have asked for all this. They asked for hero bans, they asked for faster balancing, and they asked for shorter metas. Hero pools takes care of all those things.

2. And you may still identify with them. But I’d they are not balanced and need tweaking we can now remove until balanced. But identification isn’t being tarnished because you identify with their lore. Not their gameplay.

3. Arcade doesn’t have metas. It would be pointless in those modes. That’s why quickplay won’t be effected.

4. Overwatch will always have a finite number of heroes. So that argument can’t really be beaten. You are right. Finite number of heroes.

5. And on the flip side people may return because stale metas and the trickle effect of them is why others quit. Also maybe you guys play it and like it. Also are you ready to remove so many stickers if you remove overwatch from your life?

1 Like

More likely they’ll do like they’ve done with every other bad change that starts as comp only then finds its way into QP.

Because the concept of hero pools is terrible

1 Like

Actually, lots of people have been asking for something like this for a very long time.

In comp only. While I don’t like it myself, I do have to point out that Quickplay will still be there for you.

Other way around. It belongs in comp but nowhere else. Maybe in some arcade mode as well, and we have had arcade modes like it in the past, but it makes sense in comp.

If it were in quickplay there would be a problem.

Because people have been asking for something like it.

Cite your source.

Then speak for yourself and no one else.

You’re just making things up.

2 Likes

It won’t kill Overwatch but it’s another step in the entirely wrong direction.

It is further limiting hero choice. Bad.

1 Like