Hero pools= one tricks not playing comp

Right now I am a dva one trick. These hero pools is basically telling me that i can’t play dva at certain periods of the season.

I am 100% against hero pools.

40 Likes

One tricking is not healthy in the first place.

132 Likes

Yeah, likewise, I’m someone who suddenly feels like playing a certain character for learning or for fun. (“I think I’ll play some Lucio today.”)

If I log on and find out that hero is currently on the banlist, I’ll just not play the game.

22 Likes

Well you still got QP.

9 Likes

Not interested for numerous reasons.

16 Likes

im in the same boat as well

No offence, but comp is not the best environment for learning. You can also argue that it is not fun too.

28 Likes

Good thing you can still play Lucio(when he is banned) in any game mode except competitive.
Why in Earth would you practice Lucio or play him just for"fun" in Comp? That is ridiculous and is considered soft throwing.

49 Likes

have you tried to get good at reinhardt in QP?

It doesn’t work in comp either. That and I am a horrible Rein to begin with.

1 Like

Have you tried learning Rein in comp? Say what you will about QP but at least people don’t yell at you for playing bad.

6 Likes

at least people in comp use the sheilds. point being some heroes you cant practice with in QP because of a severe lack of team work

3 Likes

Yes it is. It is the best environment for learning.

That’s your opinion.

I don’t play modes except Competitive because.

1. Because I’d rather play with and against teammates who are actually trying so that I don’t develop skills or strategies that don’t work in an actual competitive match.
  2. Because having a problem with one-tricks, but also having a problem with people learning a character in competitive is a ridiculous contradiction.
  3. Competitive yields better in-game rewards.

Case in point: when Baptiste was released, I used him for 3 weeks in QP (or however long he was available there before he dropped in Comp) and I went almost undefeated. Then I played him in Comp and went on like a 0-17 losing streak that forced me to rethink what I thought I knew about playing the character.

Quick Play is NOT a good place to learn how to play anything except the most basic kit of a character.

Then those people either need to get over it, or you need to mute them. Listening to people complaining when you play a character that you’re trying to get better at is the worst decision you can make.

Also, this is flat out wrong. I one-tricked Widow on this account EXPLICITLY to learn her without ruining other people’s games in Comp, and almost every game were people screaming at me to switch at Widow because I was bad at her.

In Quickplay.

So yeah, that doesn’t work, either.

6 Likes

You can play for fun outside competitive.

8 Likes

I dont like the idea of Hero pools, when they say that they plan on changing the meta quicker… Does that mean they are just going to select which heroes to ban for 1 week and call that a meta change? If that’s the case, this makes total sense but if the OW team is selling us faster meta changes outside of hero pools then why do we need hero pools? Sounds a bit redundant. Basically i have about 2-3 heroes i can play for each role within my SR, that’s a total of 9 heroes. If i role queue for a certain role and if one of those heroes is picked by my teammate and the other one is banned or locked, i basically give a disadvantage to my team without being able to do something about, except not queue to beign with for any role that i have 2 or less heroes i can play at my SR, which is tank and support considering they only have 5-6 heros each. 90% of the time, especially in lower ranks, will result in people insta-locking heroes which will result in more toxicity. The only work around i see if 1 of my heroes got banned in a role, would be to not play that role for one whole week in competitive. I am not sure if that is what the OW team expects, but i can almost guarantee will occur for most people who are in my position. Tell me if you want to climb, is it better to learn 2-3 hero in a role or all of them? Surprisingly we have the stats… top 500 usually only play 2-3 heroes per role.

2 Likes

I’m against Hero pools but I don’t think OTPs will suffer from it. They can simply avoid playing during the weeks their hero is banned and exploit SR by winning easily the weeks when their hero is favored by the weekly best meta available.

However, OTPs might get more hate coming from other people. I’ll give you an example :

Player A : “Switch your Dva”

Dva Player : “I don’t want to, I haven’t been able to play her for two weeks”

Player A : “I don’t care, switch”

etc…

Hero pools will sure antagonize a lot of players in the process along many other issues that will come up in the long run ^^’…

The only thing that keeps me hyped is Echo being released at some point this year. At least I’m never disappointed when a new hero is released. It’s always a good hype and brings something that is actually new and positive to Overwatch unlike all those restrictions crap.

2 Likes

You’re late to the discussion. Read above.

1 Like

I agree, this will hurt one trick players pretty bad. But at the same time, it keeps the meta shifting… I’m on the fence with this one.

Your assuming most QP players are dumb, that is not healthy too. Likewise I’ve seen players play better in QP than comp.

Comp is meant for serious play. If you are currently learning a hero then you are not playing seriously. Don’t forget that your “learning” puts your team’s SR and win on the line.

Comp is not meant to be a joke.

9 Likes

I have 300+ hours on D.va and nearly the same on Widow…those two are my mains…the next hero in line is at like 80, yet I’m 100% fine with hero pools in comp. If it was coming to QP too, I’d have an issue with it, but it’s not.

If you wanna play D.va and nothing but D.va and tell your team “idgaf about what you want I’m only playing D.va” cool - go do that in QP now. =)

If you want to compete in Comp, play D.va the week she’s up, and either LEARN TO PLAY OTHER HEROES, or don’t play the weeks she’s not up. It’s really that simple.

8 Likes