⭐ Here's every mystery in the Overwatch Universe

Please list any and all mysteries and unsolved things related to the game that come to mind. I’m just curious and love thinking about them. I’ll add yours to this list (as long as they aren’t meme answers)

1. Weird small snowglobes with the word “gray” found on Ecopoint map. As far as I know, these suddenly appeared one day on the map, as there was no mention of them before a certain point, even when the map had been out for a while.

1. Junkrat’s treasure…what is it? Hanzo directly references it in pre-match interactions by going “Where did you hide your treasure…it can hardly be on your person.” And Junk goes “T-Treasure? I don’t know what you’re talkin about!”

1. Sombra’s real name. It’s listed as ░░░░░░ on the official website. Some speculate it is Olivia Colomar as someone calls her that in a comic and she goes “How do you know that name?” But that’s still not proof it belongs to her. It could be her sister’s name, or her mother. Or her alias

1. Who is the mysterious hooded omnic at the end of storm rising cutscene talking to Doomfist?

1. What was the anomaly above Antarctica that Mei’s team was researching? We never got an explanation what it actually was. “The atmospheric fluctuations above the anomaly have increased” Mei states in her short “Where is all this data coming from…?” Was it a manmade storm? Was it an interdimensional portal? Was it a biological Omnic frozen in ice?

1. Why does Katya Volskaya and the “other Omnics” have a mutually beneficial relationship where she buys tech/weapons from them; are these omnics getting something in return? (from Skund)

1. What exactly is the Iris? We all know it’s a spiritual path followed by Zenyatta but no details have been released (also from Skund)

1. h ttps://i.imgur.com/5LToyqM.jpg
    Sombra’s giant webbed network with the eye in the center connected to everything else going on in the OW world still has been unanswered; who is watching everything in the center? (from WhatTheDuck)
20 Likes

I’m pretty sure Junkrat and Hog’s “treasure” is behind the “secret” door that opens when you stand on both floor panels.

Other than that, I don’t know the rest.

roadhogs treasure is behind his mask…

what about reapers shotguns? why most buildings exist solely for the purpose of having a staircase? how does genji deflect melee attacks? why is hero stacking still allowed in mystery heroes…

1 Like

Junkrat’s treasure is Roadhog :heart:

12 Likes

the wound to the north is opening, and soon chaos will rain from the heavens, bringing an end to the silly mortals and their robotic toy’s bickering

2 Likes

Why does Katja and the omnic work together?
What is the iris?

3 Likes

Forgot about those! I do remember wondering how Volskaya industries can buy weapons from these “other Omnics” so clearly they have a mutually beneficial relationship, but what are the omnics getting in return…?

I added both to my list

What on earth was Sombra’s “eye” conspiracy about?

4 Likes

The eye probably represents the Iris, which would make it even more interesting

2 Likes

Weird small snowglobes with the word “gray” found on Ecopoint map. As far as I know, these suddenly appeared one day on the map, as there was no mention of them before a certain point, even when the map had been out for a while.

this sort of thing is usually an easter egg referring to an employee or notable player; one of the suits in Lijiang Control Center is named after a well known player in the Chinese community who passed away

Junkrat’s treasure… what is it? Hanzo directly references it in pre-match interactions by going “Where did you hide your treasure…it can hardly be on your person.” And Junk goes “T-Treasure? I don’t know what you’re talkin about!”unkrat’s treasure… what is it? Hanzo directly references it in pre-match interactions by going “Where did you hide your treasure…it can hardly be on your person.” And Junk goes “T-Treasure? I don’t know what you’re talkin about!”’

honestly I believe it doesn’t exist and it’s something he made up so Hog protects him.

Sombra’s real name. It’s listed as ░░░░░░ on the official website. Some speculate it is Olivia Colomar as someone calls her that in a comic and she goes “How do you know that name?” But that’s still not proof it belongs to her. It could be her sister’s name, or her mother. Or her alias

Theres no reason to believe it isn’t, but the Searching comic implies it’s hers more than anything else.

What was the anomaly above Antarctica that Mei’s team was researching? We never got an explanation what it actually was. “The atmospheric fluctuations above the anomaly have increased” Mei states in her short “Where is all this data coming from…?” Was it a manmade storm? Was it an interdimensional portal? Was it a biological Omnic frozen in ice?

The anomaly is the recent phenomenon of unusual and extreme weather and so Blizz can all but explicitly say ‘global warming’. The “all this data” moment is her waking up and not yet realizing it’s 10 years of data, not a week or so.

Why does Katya Volskaya and the “other Omnics” have a mutually beneficial relationship where she buys tech/weapons from them; are these omnics getting something in return? (from Skund)

where she buys

there you go, there doesn’t have to be more to it. Katya buys tech from the Omnics, turns it into weapons and mechs, and sells them to the Russian government who uses them to keep fighting the Omnics. Omnics keep selling her stuff and keep making money.

What exactly is the Iris? We all know it’s a spiritual path followed by Zenyatta but no details have been released (also from Skund)

“whats a Zenyatta?” - Michael Chu, probably

3 Likes

Didn’t play back then so this is new to me. What is the big symbol to the left of Talon and the big symbol above Volskaya?

LumériCo, its a company Sombra has a vendetta against.

2 Likes

I think it’s because the Omnics she is buying the tech from are the “good” Omnics who are similar to Mondatta and Zen and other friendly Omnic characters, and Russia is specifically fighting the Omnium which is basically Null Sector/the “evil” Omnic faction.

It’d be the same as Zen helping OW fight Null Sector even though they are Omnics as well.

Interestingly enough there’s early concept art of the Iris as an Overwatch map. h ttps://overwatch.gamepedia.com/The_Iris_(map)

It kind of looks like an Omnic factory oddly enough.

Echo was also codenamed Iris in her development which is odd too.

1 Like

It looks like a mech beneath the symbol too, so maybe a connection with D.Va’s group

If these are all the mysterys then what the heck are the Shimada spirit dragons? :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ve always been curious about the Lunar Colony and the other mutant animals. What are they doing up there…building an army? Fighting against one another for dominance?
Also Gritty’s origin story.

The treasure is easy. It doesn’t exist. Junkrat said so himself, you heard the man. He even know what you’re talking about. Straight from the horse’s mouth, there is no treasure.

Shimada Dragon could be explained with HardLight Tech from Vishka

Doubt it’d be hardlight technology due to the fact only a main bloodline Shimada can use it and the fact it comes from a tattoo.

Also, it may or may not require trigger words being said, since Genji and Hanzo say their ult lines every time they want to activate their dragons, albeit one time in the Doomfist Cinematic, though nobody spoke but Doom in that one.

Could be a unique hard light tech to shimada
Or it’s magic :smiley: