Hanzo is broken and NO ONE CARES

Hanzo is absolutely ridiculous in this game, seriously. He is the 3rd worst designed character in overwatch.

Before you say he’s not meta, guess what? I do. Not. Care. I am sick and tired of the meta being the only thing to determine whether a character is too weak or too strong.

His rework was a collosal failure. It turned him from a fair, but sometimes cheap sniper with scatter to a cheap pile of trash.

Firstly, his bow. With its increased projectile speed, no ammo limit and fast draw speed, it’s requires no precision at all to spam. NOW I AM NOT SAYING ALL HANZO’S DONT AIM. some do, and i respect them for it. But unlike widow, who’s hitscan nature plus ammo limit discourages her from firing randomly down a choke point and punishes her for it, hanzo is ENCOURAGED to do so because he loses absolutely nothing for it. This is what makes deaths to him feel so cheap even when they aren’t. His fast draw speed plus extremely high damage allows him to easily flick flankers if you’re good. As a plus, HE can jump and lunge while keeping aim, whereas widow can’t.

Next, storm arrow. This might actually be the dumbest thing blizzard ever added to overwatch. Scatter arrow needs to be removed because it’s cheap against tanks…so you replace it with an ability that cheap against EVERYONE??? Storm arrow is spammy, can headshot, splits open characters like Winston and d.va who are meant to counter him, and doesn’t have long cooldown. I know 10 seconds seems long, but for a sniper who’s only being dived by one tank, 10 seconds is perfectly manageable.

On top of that, he gets Lunge + Wall climb. For a SNIPER, which are supposed to have efficient but limited movement, hanzo can jump a modest distance every 5 seconds and can wall climb on no cooldown at all. Compare that to widow on a 10 second cooldown and Ashe on a 10 second cooldown, and you realize how ridiculous it is. This makes it even HARDER to dive/flank him.

Next, sonic arrow. Sonic Arrow os basically a self benefitting widow ultimate. Yeah, I know, it’s not as good and doesn’t cover as much, but you can choose every 12 seconds what you wanna use it for; watch your six, or let you line shots up easier. Sure widow gets both but only an average of every 1.5-3.5 minutes. Hanzo can use his every 12 seconds. This means he can easily further his ability compares to widow.

He also has a strong offensive ult, but I think dragon strike is absolutely fine. It covers an area as a sniper should, and isn’t too strong.

I know people will disagree. Call me a scrub tell me I suck idrc. But frankly I already hate widow and hanzo enough for the way they’re designed, but now hearing “hanzo isn’t op look he’s not in the past 2 meta’s” is just making me mad. I don’t care about the meta. I care that hanzo is extremely broken and needs to be toned down. Now go ahead, flame me in the replies. Im just saying what needs to be said.

16 Likes

I’ll just say that Hanzo is not a sniper.

3 Likes

In that case he’s an insanely strong dps.

2 Likes

I agree. 20 characters.

1 Like

If he’s meant to be a sniper he’s too mobile and cqc defensive and if he’s meant to be a general dps he’s too high damage and has a one shot.

7 Likes

I’m a Hanzo main (or used to be), I say remove the storm arrow and replace it with a proper skill. Anything else is fine imo though.

3 Likes

Scatter was annoying but if you missed you were punished with most of your cqc defense. Storm arrow can do 400 damage total without headshots, so on a standard dps that’s a LOT of leniency.

1 Like

Well, I just said I don’t like storm arrow either. Scatter was at least fun though.

4 Likes

100% agreed. 600 Character limit.

1 Like

I’ve always said widow and hanzo are the strongest dps picks in the game even though the top 20 players are all doomfist on overbuff.

Doomfist is a better dps in this meta but hes not a better dps. aka in double shield with his counters hog-mccree locked out of the meta.

4 Likes

I would also like to point out his character appearance and hitbox. You are able to stand in a certain position and guarantee that you won’t be hit by a headshot. Not to mention some of skins completely throw off aim. (Lone Wolf and Okami).

4 Likes

Also agreed definitively.

1 Like

This. The no ammo limit/reload on Hanzo is retarded. Most people are killed because they happen to need to reload at the worst times. Hog has 15 hp, shoot gotta reload, your dead. My idea was to have Hanzo have an ammo quiver that requires a reload and each storm arrow fired uses an arrow from his ammo quiver so if you jump on a hanzo that isn’t managing their ammo efficiently and they only have 2 shots left, guess what, you popped storm arrows and you only get 2. It would add alittle level of resource management that can be capitalized on if you can catch hanzo needing to reload. Put his ammo at like 15. If you want to always have 5 available for storm arrows you should be reloading every 10 shots. That’s plenty to last for a normal engagement unless you are one of those people that just flings random arrows in. Then you get punished and have to reload where we can take advantage of that and dive on you.

1 Like

I would argue that he is extremely strong (though the current meta does not necessarily favor him, as a lot of his counters are strong as well), but not completely broken (Hanzo directly after the rework was broken; now he’s a lot better).

That being said, people were hyping up dive’s comeback with the new patch, completely forgetting that Hanzo (along with many other heroes who are secretly strong) shuts down dive. While Hanzo is countered by double barrier, if/when double barrier is nerfed into the ground, the meta that follows will likely be sniper heavy (not dive), which will be a depressing meta (for example, the streamer Emongg once flat out said that double sniper was the single most depressing comp to face in ranked, and if you weren’t blessed with a god-tier Widow and/or Hanzo, you automatically lost).

hanzo has underperformed since they nerfed storm arrow damage cd, and made you unable to damage boost dragon.
you’re basing all your complaints off biased opinions despite the hero not being all that great.

Looking back on this post, I predicted the future lol. People started calling for nerfs on him about 2 months after I made this.

Ive said this for years and even made several threads about it but instead nerfing him devs buffed him so i just gave up and stopped playing the game for this and other reasons.

1 Like

Hanzo was broken before he was even released; his concept is antithetical to the game. People usually defending him because of ‘muh winrate’ or ‘muh aim skill’ while they completely overlook the whole issue.

A hero doesn’t have to be powerful to be broken. Skill/value aren’t the only two axes, data-quality is important, too. Without good data, skill and value are meaningless. Hanzo just doesn’t demonstrate skill very well.

2 Likes

If you’re going to claim that a hero is overpowered despite rarely being in the meta, you better come up with a reasonable explanation of why they don’t get more play. Because people love to play overpowered characters.

1 Like

People like to play overpowered and fun characters. Brig is meta but she is hardly used outside of GM/T500 because most people don’t enjoy her playstyle.