Got -50SR after being reconnected and winning the game

Hi. As per title, I got a crash during the comp game and had to restart my computer. I managed to get back on time and helped winning the match. As far as I have seen we would have lost if I would not be back. Then after getting back to Main Menu there was a suspension timer set (there were about 3 minutes left). So basically I lost about 80SR, although I should not. Could someone please help me with this issue? I can provide you more data if needed.
PS: I am not sure if it should be posted in tech support or bugs, so please move the topic to bugs if needed.

I don’t know the exact reason but I think it is because you were disconnected. Sorry about your lost sr though.

1 Like

While I did not have a disconnection I had to leave a match to fix an issue with the game, I quickly reconnected and our team won the match and I did not lose any SR.

Rejoining a game without penalty is only possible during certain phases of the game. If you leave a game either during the pre-game or during the first minute of the game, the game will automatically cancel (remember the 10 second rule does not apply to the leaver, but as a warning to other players that the match will cancel). You can rejoin the match during the initial hero selection screen if you are lucky enough to quickly reconnect though.

Otherwise, you can only rejoin any-time after one-minute of match time has passed up until the match completes. However you only have two minutes to do so without penalty. If you rejoin a match after two-minutes, you will still automatically be marked with a loss an be penalized with a -50 SR cut and a ten-minute suspension. This rule ensures that no one can abusive the leaver system by attempting to return to a match after deliberately leaving in order to avoid such penalties. Furthermore leaving three or more times in a single match will result in an automatic penalty. If you fail to return to a match by the time it ends normally (regardless of match result) you will be penalized.

Unfortunately all disconnections and game crashes counts as leaving the match and will be penalized appropriately. The game server has no way to discern a legitimate disconnection or game crash from one that is forcefully caused by a dishonest player to bypass leaver penalties. You can learn about this policy here:

Nope, game still gets canceled, saw this the other day.

Chap left the game, and rejoined before the counted ended, game still was canceled.

This function has to be programmed in.
Example, if the game can give the client a pop up message saying “Lost Render Device”, it can just as easily send a message to the server saying “Client Crash”
They will still get the 2min to rejoin after the 1 minute mark and before then they should be given more time than just “10 seconds”

I have had the “Lost Render Device” during hero selection
pause the game at the hero selection screen, blizzard should at least give users a chance to rejoin during the first minute.

This is NOT the hero selection screen when this happened. It is the pre-game setup at that point.

I can forcefully create an RDL error simply by quickly popping open my PC case and unplugging the power line to the graphics card while online. Your proposal would be exploitable.

At the risk of damaging your GPU?
Even if you did, you will still have to rejoin otherwise you get a penalty.

My proposal is more for the first minute of game, not as a means to let you leave a game scott free.

It takes my gaming rig 10seconds just to be able to start overwatch again as the battle,net client still thinks the game is running after closing it for at least a few seconds.

If it meant queue dodging or circumventing the game, yeah. Dishonest players have done and will do anything to circumvent penalties.

Besides the point is simply this… if you are crashing… then do NOT play Competitive. No one wants to wait on your technical malfunctions. If you crash once, you are likely to crash again and that is not fair for the 11 other players. Now if you want help troubleshooting these RDL errors, I can help with that, if you want to address your concerns about penalties, please do so in the Competitive Discussion forum.

I have crashed a few times as have others.
Random bugs are just that random.

I have crashed a few times with that Lost Render Device error, my PC is stable in all other games.

Heck I posted about an issue I have been getting lately where the game engine decides to stop rendering a certain color or all colors at times.