GM Samito gets grouped with GOLD player

The system start putting you in different ranks no matter what rank is shown in your profile if you over perform hard. How hard is it to comprehend? You have reached the gold with a 100% win rate, MMR start testing you: 1st game brings you to diamond5, win, brings you to diamond 1 - win… top500 - lost, backs you in masters… lost, backs you in diamond - win, adjust your SR to match MMR. Simple as that. Also there is known “stuck in rank” bug, which may be the issue, his icon just does not update. Look at his TAB stats, he is keeping up with Samito, while he’s playing an off dps even.

It’s not hard to comprehend. It’s just flat-out wrong.

Just don’t believe what you see, use logic, if you are playing in top500 and you get gold in your lobby, this means he is not gold, simple as that. Then that non-gold player can ask why his rank do not update as fast as his matched lobbies?

1 Like

It doesn’t mean he’s GM either.

If you want to use logic: We already know that the ranking system has problems in OW2 because Blizzard admitted it. The ranking system is a blackbox to the playerbase because Blizzard has kept it a secret, so the only other information we have is what we’ve seen in OW1.

In OW1, this sort of mismatch between SR and MMR was never seen except for SR decay (GM back to Diamond).

Yes, and the matchmaker don’t know who he is as well yet, and it puts him everywhere in order to figure out as fast as possible. A10 was diamond5 with 90% winrate and he got matched vs gm2 lobby with shadder2k and co. Do we know who is a10, right? Any more questions why diamond get matched with gm2? Now apply the same logic on that “gold” guy in samito’s match.

Samito got rank 1 (tank + dps) a few days ago.

2 Likes

Keep in mind that the video is also clickbait.

And Samito kinda sucks.

Yes, and this added noise in the match making is what everyone hates because it makes the matches very inconsistent. i.e., streaking too quickly makes the system worse because the size of Masters+ is actually quite small.

What consistency would you expect after MMR reset? It would be like this at least to the end of the season, if not even further. MM needs to learn first in order to provide what you want. Me as exGM started to play in gold5 on my main account that was abandoned for 2 years. And I wouldn’t say those games were even close to gold, all of them were like masters rank at minimum after like 5-7 stomps I did.

Looking at this border gap, the issue is that the games will remain inconsistent even after a couple of seasons.

Consistency is impossible when smurf accounts are easy to create–and sad to say, there are plenty of OW1 accounts floating around without SMS–nor when the win/loss streaks are too high.

Nevermind if the matchmaking is outright broken.

sKiLl rAtInG iSnT oUr oNlY mEtRiC fOr mAtChMaKiNg

Smurf accounts are in different story line. MM now teaches its algorithm. Now it doesn’t know the differences in performances. It may think some guy is plat or diamond even if he is an actual GM player, just because he got randomly matched like 5 times with the same players in plat and diamond who were also GM players. That way they both stuck there for a while and mixed up with actual plats and diamonds. That way, actual plats and diamonds derank to lower metals and stuck there (calling it a bug), because those two exGMs are performing with consistency, unlike the other 2 guys who were actual diamonds. But matchmaker need a time to understand who is who. And it does it the way this sombra player was randomly put in top500 to test him out.

Even if dude played well, my argument is for the definition only.

I repeat, I appreciate the system for what it tries to do. Long are the days where people are searching for servers and lobbies themselves.

ML7 just posted this…

2 Likes

The chances of running into one Masters+ smurf in Plat or Gold is high, but when the masters+ population is 3% of the player base, the chances of running into a mostly-masters lobby in gold or plat is very low (exception made for preforms).

Players have reported for years that they sometimes get “trial matches” when they perform too well or too poorly, sort of as a gate-keeping match.

I don’t know how much stock to put into it, but that’s a horrible system.

The things happening at GM with Samito and ML7 are just more extreme versions of what’s happening in plat and diamond etc.

It’s not surprising. With the soft reset the matchmaking will be atrocious for most of this season if not longer. I’ve never had a winrate as bad as the one I have now in 6 years of Overwatch. 37% across all games. 37% winrate and I actually ranked UP after my last 7 wins.

That would have been impossible in previous seasons. My only guess is that personal performance matters a lot more. You’d think that would be a balm, but in the meantime I have to get stomped repeatedly in games that feel impossible to win. I’m consistently the top performer on my teams but can’t actually win the match unless I play at 100% efficiency and hard carry. If I make a single mistake then the fight is over. If I don’t get the first pick or happen to have a bad ult then the fight is over.

Losing while ranking up feels incredibly weird.

Yeah, the core of the game is good, but the matchmaking and ranking feels way off right now. I’m guessing it will get better after a couple seasons and things settle in like they did with OW1, but it feels bad having to go through this all over again, especially given how much time it took me to finally get a spot that felt accurate for my skill.

It definitely feels that way sometimes. I’ll get a losing streak where my team is stomped while feeding and doing stupid crap for 4 or 5 games in a row. Then I’ll get a really weird game where I win without even having to try. Then it’s back to sweaty clown parties again.

Personally I think the matchmaking is going to be garbage until at least 2 seasons have passed. I remember the first few seasons of OW1 feeling a lot like this until things settled. The problem is that it took hundreds of games to get there. Games that often felt like an absolute waste of time.

Like, I recently had a DPS game where the other DPS went 2 and 15, solo flanking, dying first every fight, and swapping heroes after every death. That seems like someone who’s barely played the game before and the matchmaking apparently expects me to carry a constant 4v5. This happens to me more often than not and yet I actually ranked up with a 37% winrate.

Matches all feel incredibly weird right now, and on the other side of things we get stories of people going on winning streaks and not even moving. That makes me feel like the ranks are kind of made up right now and it’s just a matter of whether the RNG is working in your favor or not.

1 Like

It is a fact that in Overwatch 1, a GM player can not be matched with or against a player 500SR lower than them. Gold (2000SR) is 3000SR lower than the GM level (5000) at the highest and 1500SR at the lowest.

In other words, based on ALL CURRENTLY AVAILABLE OFFICIAL INFORMATION, there is no way that a gold player should be able to play with a GM player.

Unless you have some inside knowledge that no one else has, please stop spreading misinformation.