Give Ana Regeneration!

So I love playing Ana, but one thing I’ve never understood is why Ana is the only support hero without any regeneration (or shield)? It’s not that Ana should have it just because all the other support heroes do, but because apart from Zenyatta, Ana is arguably the support hero who needs regeneration the most!

__

Let’s compare all the support heroes:
Mercy - 20 health per second after not taking damage for 1 second.
The most reliable regeneration in the game, which makes it very difficult to eliminate Mercy at times. When Valkyrie is active the regeneration is no longer interrupted by damage, meaning it’s constant. On top of this, Mercy has Guardian Angel which is the most reliable escape ability in the game, next to Tracers Blink.

Moira - Biotic Grasp heals for 30 health per second, Biotic Orb heals for 75 health per second.
By far the strongest self healer in the game, capable of healing herself for 105 health per second! Moira also has Fade, which is one of the best escape abilities in the game. Her ultimate also heals herself for 50 health per second.

Lucio - Crossfade Healing heals Lucio for 12.1875 health per second, Amp It Up increases that healing to 35.1 health per second.
Lucio has a weaker self heal then the others, but makes up for it with Amp It Up. Lucio can also wall ride which makes him a very difficult target to hit, and thereby increases the effectiveness of his self healing. His ultimate also gives him 500 barrier health. It’s worth mentioning Soundwave as well, which can keep his opponents at a distance.

Brigitte - Inspire heals for 16 health per second, for 5 seconds, whenever she hits an opponent.
Brigitte’s healing ability is really strong in relation to her kit. She can take down her shield and hit an opponent once, then instantly bring her shield back up and continue to heal herself for 80 health over 5 seconds while avoiding any damage. Her shield has 600 health, and she gets 100 armor from her ultimate which only goes away when dealt damage.

Zenyatta - 150 shield.
Zenyatta’s self healing is actually very good. Having Shield means you heal for 30 health per second after not taking any damage for 3 seconds, and since Zenyatta has 150 shield out of his 200 health, he very rarely needs to be healed or use a health pack. It’s also worth mentioning Orb of Discord, which is a threat to any opponent trying to attack Zenyatta, as it allows him to deal 30% more damage. This means Zenyatta’s damage per second becomes 149.5, and he can deal 119.6 damage with only one head shot!

Ana - Bionic Grenade heals for 100 health.
Ana just pales in comparison to the other support. She gets 100 health when using Bionic Grenade, but seeing as it’s a really important healing and control tool for her kit, it’s a constant dilemma of having to waste the Bionic Grenade on yourself when you’re down to around 120 HP, or saving it for your team if they need it within the next 10 seconds. Other then this, Ana only has Sleep Dart which is completely unreliable, even for a professional player. Any good Ana player also knows that after the first few minutes of a match, you should save Sleep Dart to use against opponents ultimates. So like with Bionic Grenade, using Sleep Dart to defend yourself with or saving it for your teammates, is a constant dilemma. One that all other other support heroes simply doesn’t have to deal with.

––

So my question is; how do you justify Ana not having any regeneration? Ana is probably the most comparable to Moira, as they both have a kit that’s a mixture of damage and healing. But where Moira can heal when attacking, has an AoE healing ability, can heal herself when using her ultimate, and reliably escape with Fade, Ana only has one healing ability that’s on a 10 second cooldown time, and her unreliable Sleep Dart. Also, Moira’s left click compared to Ana’s left click? lol

Being a sniper has no real advantage either, as there’s a ton of heroes that can easily close in the distance to you, or simply just eliminate you from the same range. In fact, you could argue that it’s a disadvantage that Ana has to keep her distance, since it means there aren’t any teammates around her to help when she gets attacked. This makes Ana a very easy target once she’s used her Bionic Grenade. I mean, let’s face it, hitting a flanker with a Sleep Dart is often more about luck then skill, so that’s not going to happen.

––

My suggestion is to give Ana constant regeneration similar to Mercy, but cap it at 15 healing per second (after not taking damage for 1 second). This would also mean that Ana could heal for 30 health per second when using Bionic Grenade on herself. Compared to the other support heroes this would be completely fair, and as shown above, completely justifiable!

What do you think about this? Can you really justify why Ana should not have regeneration? I find it really difficult.

__

TL:DR - All support heroes have some form of regeneration, except for Ana. This would be fair if it was justifiable, but when comparing all the support heroes side by side, it’s not at all. Ana is arguably the support hero who needs regeneration the most!

20 Likes

I would honestly take shield health at this point if it means Ana still has weaknesses

It’s just mind numbing to me that such an easy way to help Ana has always been shut down

“Oh but she has grenade!”

Could you imagine if every other healer had to pick between helping themselves or the team with their BEST utility tools?

It’s just crazy in a world where Mercy and Moira exist at the same time as Ana.

Oh and don’t give me that “weakness” crap when the Hanzo rework literally removed some of his weakness of horizontal mobility, and projectile drop/ inconsistent damage

13 Likes

If they were to give Ana any sort of regen I think they should make it either from teammates healed or scoped shots hit. It fits in better with the high skill support model she is.

6 Likes

Out of every support, Ana is the only one who can’t regen or self heal. This is a huge problem for her because her kit is wasted healing her, requires a second support to heal her, has to walk to a health pack with no mobility, or walk back from spawn.

She needs some form of self healing passive.

2 Likes

My question really is: can you in some way justify why Ana should not have regeneration?

7 Likes

But is it the right buff when as you said enemies can easily close the distance or shoot her directly at range? What’s the point of self healing if there’s a Winston or D.VA on your case?

Wouldn’t it be better to either hold your ground or evade? The first I don’t think they’ll do but the latter has a proposed Ghillie Suit passive that would render Ana invisible to enemies past a certain range from her. Wouldn’t that be more efficacious than having a better self heal?

2 Likes

I mean something right, regen, escape, shiled, armor, self heal by expending ammo JUST SOMETHING

1 Like

Everything you said or gave detail is exactly how I felt about Ana in my post. She barely has anything…

2 Likes

Its not whether it’s the right buff, but that it’s the most logical buff. It makes more sense that Ana has regeneration, then not. It even makes sense in relation to her character, and why she’s able to keep fighting even at old age. Whether she needs other buffs is another discussion entirely.

The point of self healing is exactly the same as why all other support heroes have self healing, they are the heroes that heal, and should therefor not need healing themselves. Like other support heroes, Ana is always getting chip damaged when opponents tries to damage her from range. Winning a fight against a flanker shouldn’t mean that you also have to spend time finding a health pack. Imagine if Mercy didn’t have any regeneration.

While the others have some sort of escape or regen or shield ability…Ana is stuck with a “put enemy to sleep and run” escape option. And the sleep CD is slow and only works against one enemy at a time. And it only lasts until the enemy takes damage. Not very useful at all.

I would love for her to have some form of mobility to escape.

1 Like

There is regeneration for ana, its called biotic grenade. :slight_smile:

Mobility is not what Ana needs. Making her stronger in areas where shes weak is how we wind up with Mercy and Brigitte.

That’s like saying Healing Orb is regeneration for Moira. Yet Moira still has self healing on her left click, despite the fact that Healing Orb is a better healing ability then Bionic Grenade, as it can heal Moira for 300 health and then be ready to use again withing a couple of seconds.

Besides, the fact that Bionic Grenade is also an important tool to use against other healers and to burst heal your team, it’s a complete detriment for Ana to just use it for herself. I’ve lost count as to how many times I’ve used Bionic Grenade on myself, only to see the opponent Zenyatta/Moira/Mercy drop her ultimate and not being able to bypass that healing for my team.

2 Likes
  1. that is not regen
  2. it’s on a 10 second cd so if it were regen she would get 10hp per second compared to soldier’s 40hps for 5 seconds every 15sexonds.
  3. it’s wasted healing her when it can be used against the enemy team or to heal a team mate
  4. if she was played at range she has to choose whether to heal herself or her team or block healing for the enemy
  5. Mercy had way better regen, self saving ult, amazing mobility, and better dps. Moira has 2 ways to self heal, mobility plus immunity, self saving ult, and better dps with a damage orb. Brigetta has self healing, a self saving ult, small mobility, a shield, and two stuns. Lucio has self healing, amazing mobility, and an ult that saves himself. Zen has amazing dps, shields that regen, and an ult that saves and makes him immune. But Ana can only has a long cd heal grenade that is better used elsewhere.
1 Like

She’s not entirely without self heal — just lacks a full heal or the ability to heal herself under every 10 seconds. If she had a Ghillie Suit to render her invisible to enemies distant then if played at range she’s not likely to get chip damage since, firstly, she won’t be in the fray and, secondly, she won’t be shot by enemies at range and beyond.

In effect a Ghillie Suit would reduce her damage and reduce her attacks from dive. She need only be a bit sneakier and fire from afar at angles not expected.

That’s what I mean by giving her the right buff. Simply upping her heals does nothing in protecting her from the reasons of why she would need that healing in the first place.

Just my 2cp, mate.

Ana is a person of advanced age, you know what you do with old people? You help them cross the street against incoming traffic, you become caring for her. As Doomfist I like to play as Anas bodyguard against close threats, and I have figured that hes far better at guarding her than Bridgette does. Giving her easy regen would negatively affect that kind of dynamic.

Ana passive: 25% healing done to allies? Makes her grenade a bit better too

Might be too much tho I don’t have the numbers to check this lol

This seems like a really obvious fix tbh. Idk how you can have the function of a support if a good chunk of your thought process is on how to heal yourself as well. She’s already the most aim intensive healer (and unlike Zen has to maintain LoS to heal) and her cooldown on nade is very long. So having to routinely use it on yourself or scramble around with one of the slowest kits (especially for a small character) to get a health pack is ridiculous. The only way without regen that she will be useful is if her ult makes for super cheesy wipe combos consistently. It’d be better if she could keep a similar ult but not have to waste her abilities just to stay alive (and then not have them up when she could actually make a big play with them).

It’s crazy they gave Brig a 5s stun cooldown and 16hps behind shield while Ana has to consider using a 10 second cooldown just to stay alive. Even if she constantly used it on herself she’d have half the self heal per second of the other supports and that would be a disgusting waste of her kit. I highly doubt passive heal will make Ana meta overnight so I have no idea why anyone would be against it.

Also lets make health packs obsolete because everyone now has regeneration.

I’m going to be honest I never liked the idea of Mercy’s self heal because every other hero has to do something in order to self heal (I don’t include Zenyatta in this because his shield regen is not a self heal it’s just the shield mechanic.)

Lucio has to be in healing aura to heal himself, Brigitte has to deal damage, and same for Moira. It feels bad to have a hero just heal because they didn’t get hit for a second rather than them having to do something to gain that regen.