Get Better Latency [Ryzen, Win 10 (11?)]

Cool Story

So, I always had this problem with my PC where my mouse latency felt different every time I restarted my PC. It felt like velocity was added to my mouse every time I moved it and at random values. I tried lots of different things and nothing seemed to help me. This kind of problem is also hard to troubleshoot since it’s sometimes really hard to detect if it’s fixed or not unless you play a game for a bit. This made me lose a lot of Overwatch games :frowning:

When moving your mouse instantly from one side to another, you can see the delay. It should be INSTANT, but it is not.

What Didn’t help

• New Mouse
• Different USB Port
• Interrupt Affinity Policy Tool
• ISLC
• Unplugging everything but my keyboard, mouse and my monitor.
• Changing some settings in the Windows settings app.
• Turning off all overlays
• Changing some Nvidia options.
• Changing the power plan, its options and also turning off fast startup.
• Changing the graphics settings in-game to low.
• Closing all programs except for the game.
• Reinstalling Windows (which fixed the problem but it comes back after a day??)
• Installing a custom build of Windows (revi os)
• Disabling XMP
• Installing drivers like Realtek audio and ethernet drivers.
• Disabling un-needed drivers

Whatever, How do I fix the problem?

A combination of these four things fixed my problem.

Disabling HPET (High Precision Event Timer)

I’m pretty sure THIS is the main thing that helped me fix my latency.
Run these commands in an elevated command prompt:
bcdedit /set useplatformclock no
bcdedit /set disabledynamictick yes
Also, disable in Device Manager > System Devices > High Precision Event Timer.

Turn OFF hardware-accelerated GPU scheduling (source)

This option can cause weird latency problems in games (like overwatch). experiment with this option for your games.
Variable Refresh Rate can be turned on aswell.

MSI Mode

Using the MSI Mode Utility v3. The main thing to check out is the GPU.
YouTube Link Explaining How To Use This Utility

The hated, LatencyMon

While people suggest NOT using LatencyMon, I think it’s a useful tool to check what’s causing latency and which driver is at fault. While I don’t know how to properly use LatencyMon, I think it helps you identify some of the problems with your PC.

Make sure you restart your PC after doing all of this.

One of these four (I guess three) things fixed my problems, and my mouse feels INSTANT.

3 Likes

I’m going to give this a try

1 Like

Intel CPU has lower latency than Ryzen CPUs. Although the gaps are getting smaller with the latest Ryzen. If you want to learn more about input lag, I’d look up blurbusters forum.

Although I’d take most of their takes with grain of salt, since they go to the extremes in fiddling with things that don’t even matter, like switching to UPS which is nonesense and has got nothing to do with mouse input latency. Some people in the blurbuster community who go to the extremes with these nonsensical things are weird. They are even worse than audiophiles, because at least with audiophiles, they fiddle with things that makes logical sense in improving sound quality.

If you want the convenience of not having to research too much on your own endlessly, I’d just watch FR33THY’s YouTube video, follow his suggestions, and be done with it.

1 Like

While FR33THY makes really good guides, I don’t agree with some of what he does. For example, changing everything to high performance mode instead of leaving it to balanced/Optimal power. Changing this makes your PC always run with the high clock speeds for no reason, even when idling. Other than that, yes.

1 Like

If you want the absolute best mouse feeling, I’d switch to using Windows 7 and disable desktop composition by switching to classic theme. FR33THY has a tutorial on how to install Windows 7 and optimize it for gaming. After I’ve done that, I’ve never went back. I only play Overwatch and Valorant on Windows 7 now. I can still dual-boot to Windows 10 if needed too.

1 Like

Yes, I used to dualboot Windows 7, but i usually get lazy restarting my pc when i wanna play :(( but you’re right.

1 Like

Thank you for this. I’ve tried most of this stuff but still having issues since Summer 2021 patch changed many things. Will go over it again and see if my I/O won’t be bogged down.

1 Like

With Windows 7 you lose gsync which helps with overwatch a lot.

1 Like

Not really, if you means ram latency, Intel 11 and 12th gen also had increased latency compares to Skylake series. But the improved cache system can counter this latency. 12th gen acctually has higher ram latency compares to Zen3. There shouldn’t be any noticeable latency difference between AMD Zen2/Zen3 and Intel CPUs, unless something is not working properly like HPET, HAGS etcs.

While I thought my problem was fixed, and wrote a pretty guide, my problem is there :confused: after 1 match, my mouse latency slowly goes up every time. Disabling Hpet did improve overall latency though but didn’t fix this problem.

In my professional opinion, it sounds very much like a driver-level issue. The PNP driver that comes with Windows on your system is conflicting with something, possibly with your motherboard.

Have you tried installing the AMD Chipset drivers?

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-ryzen-chipset-3-10-08-506

Depending on who made your motherboard you MAY want to look into updating your BIOS as well.

(NOTE: Updating your UEFI/BIOS is a last resort step that is not to be taken lightly)

1 Like

Yes, I already did install the latest Ryzen chipset driver for my chipset and updated the bios. Forgot to mention that. Also another thing to mention, yesterday I tried playing this game on Linux using lutris. The latency was amazing!! And then after one or two games, the latency began to slowly creep up.

I noticed one thing though. In windows, when the latency goes up, my mouse cursor on the desktop also has latency. While on Linux, my cursor on the desktop is still buttery smooth.

What mouse are you using and what mouse did you attempt to replace it with, do you have the manufacturer’s driver installed (iCue, Synapse, GHUB, ect.)?

P.S. Sorry if I’m retreading things you’ve attempted. I’m still under the impression that it’s a driver issue or perhaps a physical fault in your RAM at this point or even an overheating issue on the motherboard’s chipset.

npnp, i get excited when i get people trying to help out.

first i tried with some cheap asus mouse that came with my gpu. then i tried some other cheapo mice from ebay. then i bought a slightly more expensive mouse which is Logitech g203 lightsync. i havnt tried installing GHUB yet.

when i look at hwinfo64, i see 50c everywhere apart from the GPU, which shows 60c.

That’s normal on the temp front so we can move away from that.

My next step would be changing the poll rate of the mouse to see if that fixes the issue. GHUB should let you change that. The slow degradation of performance is extremely interesting, that sort of thing points toward heat which is why people attempted to have you turn off XMP. If you have multiple RAM sticks you could consider removing/swapping to see if the issue persists.

Considering the problems are similar but still persist through an install of Linux really enforces that it might be closer to a physical hardware problem over a driver issue, but it could very likely be a problem with how the generic PNP driver was ported (still containing the flaw).

I know it might sound a little weird but… when you begin having the issue see what happens if you remove the mouse from the USB port and plugging it back in.

[Insert joke about “turn it off and back on again”]

I don’t wanna say anything TOO soon, but after installing GHUB, so far, my latency feels way better.

EDIT:
alright, so it isnt fixed but we got more info.

installing GHUB basically makes a disconnect sound and then a connect sound. after a while, the latency seems to be coming back.

so i tried replugging my mouse, and indeed, the latency gets fixed again for few minutes. how weird.

1 Like

This is where i get most of my information to. Amazing guy and super informative.

Okay, the ping that you heard is the software re-queuing your mouse. That’s normal. Did you change the polling like I suggested before testing?

Did you make sure to restart your computer after installing GHUB?

That’s what I thought was going to happen. Something is interfering with the signal after the driver has been running for a while. Since the problem gets fixed when the driver is reinitialized we’re getting close to the source of the problem.

A thought: Some motherboards have special software for their USB ports. What motherboard are you using? (while this should typically be covered by the Chipset drivers… you never know with some manufacturers.)

In your Device Manager are there any conflicts or missing drivers, especially under “Universal Serial Bus controllers”?

1 Like

my motherboard is Asus b450-f
I feel like after installing the ghub, restarting my pc, its fixed. I dont see any conflicts or missing drivers in device manager. Thanks for the help :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: I dont fully know if the problem is fixed but it seems to be very responsive rn

I’m glad the issue seems to be resolved! if it starts acting up again please do reply and we can look further into the situation.

Cheers!

1 Like