Genji QOL Change Revert Discussion

Idk how many of y’all played with Genji’s qol changes but it seems to me like mostly nobody said a word except for 1 tread where OP complained it was a bug, and Necros complaining that it was “just bad” with no real explanation.
So now I’m curious about who else is out there that played with the change and thought it made his movement a lot smoother and responsive?
I for one feel jebaited and it kinda sucks because we get this nice change with no explanation and then it gets taken away because a handful of people got upset and said something about it (while everyone else just played the game). It doesnt feel right.

5 Likes

Yeah, I had no clue it was changed until they took it away. So… I never tested it consciously.

1 Like

Dude it was actually nuts, it let you dash around corners, and made it a lot easier to track flying targets (think: Echo, who also eats right clicks worse than Zen) for dash combos. I’m honestly rlly upset they just snuck this in and yoinked it after 1 day on the live servers with hardly any feedback. feels bad pepega

4 Likes

What changes are we talking about here?

Genji could aim his dash slightly mid dash to curve his dash slightly

1 Like

I don’t know how it would’ve been in the long run, but people were complaining about not being able to ghost dash smoothly anymore, which is kind of stupid because that tech has so little practical application. It feels cool and looks cool, but that’s about all it does.

3 Likes

It was on the PTR and intended as a QOL change apparently but no it wasnt listed as a change. There where a few short threads reporting it as a bug, unluckily I didnt see them until they reverted it /:

Genji is still OP why are u upset m8??? Go press one button and win 27/7

Have you not seen Echo yet?? Genji is a decent answer to her, and this change helped that, do you REALLY want Echo to be the new support annihilator with a doomfist like combo that can 1 shot any squishy from 20m?

It allows for a faster escape, it has practical use.

It isn’t a change that improves quality of life if it ruins another tech in the hero.

It was extremely weird to use and was buggy, if they ever wanted to refine it and implement it as an OPTIONAL toggle switch, I wouldn’t be opposed to that.

1 Like

It doesnt even ruin ghost dash because the distance the change moved you was very minimal, just enough to allow you to move the hit box of your dash to hit an evasive target. I dont get why you wanted this gone, friend. It, like ghost dashing, has its uses. The devs gave us a new tool to use and you wanted it gone ):

Ghost dashing requires a rapid flick at the end of the first dash to utilize properly, with this change it changed the trajectory of the second dash very drastically, in heat of the moment scenarios where you’re a fraction of a second away from dying it would matter a lot of this happened.

It screws it up quite a bit for those used to the original feel, but as I said, make it optional, those who want to use it can have it, they should also refine it so it feels better to use, but those who don’t want it shouldnt be forced to relearn dash’s mechanics.

There are no scenarios where the ghost dash gives you a window of escape where you otherwise wouldn’t have one. It feels a lot more practical and impactful than it actually is.

Again, I’m not saying it would’ve been good in the long run, but wanting it gone for the sake of ghost dash? I don’t know.

1 Like

If it impedes another mechanic that takes a while to nail then it should by least be made optional. kind of like a “Do you want to use this tech, or that tech in your hero”

Don’t force the people who have played Genji for 4 years and developed a lot of muscle memory on him to relearn his Swift Strike if they don’t want to, but if people found it useful, allow them to have it without making it mandatory.

If a more refined version of it came out with an optional toggle, and there was a mass preference for one or the other, then there would show obvious advantage to one, but it never came out that way so we couldn’t see.

2 Likes

Even with it on though, it wouldn’t have to mess with that tech. It actually helps you on the first dash by allowing you to reduce how much you have to flick/making 90 degree ghost dashes a 45 degree flick where you can largely see where you’re dashing. It just requires you to adjust your flick muscle memory if you have that built, but that doesnt mean it makes the hero WORSE. It gave you something new to learn that actually improved the hero (curve dash ability) and honestly made a few combos easier (90 degree dashes, dash rmb on agile targets).

It definitely could’ve been a toggle. I feel like the real issue is that it was put on the PTR intended as a QOL buff but the devs didn’t say anything… so people assumed it was a bug. This probably wouldn’t have been an issue if they just listed it in the PTR patch notes

1 Like

I saw and felt that it had some practical use but also saw what it impeded in my normal play, I feel it could’ve been more refined before it saw public testing, since many considered this a bug and weird to use based off of PTR Bug Reports

I’m all for an optional toggle so those who want it can use it, but since I was well as many other players didn’t like it very much, I don’t feel it should be a mandatory addition that forces everyone to use it.

It probably would’ve been called out and people would have asked for it to at least be refined, because it felt wonky for some. I noticed it as a bit awkward to use, though did see practical application, it just was so strange to use that I myself did not prefer it.

Yes, the big issue is that the devs never said anything about the change so it never gained a ton of public attention and testing for it to be determined as really good or really bad.

That is pretty much the essence of most Genji mains.

3 Likes

We might never see this again though dude. Do you really see the devs bringing this back as a toggle unless a lot of people say something about it? They should’ve just listed it in the patch notes so people could actually talk about it which sucks but this was actually a really nice change to his mechanics without making him busted or anything, it just takes getting used to, and I feel like we lost the chance to do that because they never told us what it was /: