Genji is now unplayable (And how to fix it)

To be fair, that’s most mains on any character. The only difference is how verbal they are about it.

And to be more fair, the most vocal group of players about any adjustment to their hero, are Genji mains.

2 Likes

I think that prize goes to Mercy mains.

1 Like

Not lately, they’ve been quiet. All you see now are Genji mains crying about his nerfs, and that Moira is so OP.

Well either way, the main reason I don’t like this Genji change is that it doesn’t really do much below GM skill tier.

It gives people a chance to fight back at all ranks, and not just be instagibbed by someone with a highly bloated and over tuned kit.

I know a lot of people will be happy to see less Moira thanks to less Genji.

Not really. At best it gives like an extra third of a second for Genji to throw another volley of shurikens. Which realistically isn’t much. A Support isn’t going to win a 1v1 off of that.

I would have preferred knocking Genji down to 175hp and then keep or increase his firepower.

He already had an instakill combo. Reducing his health and buffing his damage would make him even worse to play against, and maybe even push him to tank buster territory with his mobility and increased damage.

I’d remove damage passive, revert deflect to be uncancelled, and remove damage boost on blade.

He needed to be toned down, and even though this was a little strong for it, it’s deserved.

Well, I’m pretty heavy handed in my view as a “Role Queue Main”.

I figure the current Support playerbase is roughly 10-20% of the total players. But in order to address queue times and matchmaker issues, they want Support to be as close to 2/5th or 40% of the total playerbase as possible.

And that the devs can afford to lose roughly 5% of the current playerbase to get there, because the alternative is losing roughly 20-40% of the current&potential playerbase.

No one wants to support. I’m a support main, and I find it absolutely infuriating to play anymore. You can heal over 50k in a match (Exaggeration), and still lose because you had a tank who kamikazed in over and over, or you had DPS one tricks who refuse to swap to counter and blame the supports for their bad play.

It’s completely thankless, a chore, and over all just annoying. You do ANY damage and you’re not healing and just DPSing.

If you play Moira, no matter how much higher your healing is than your damage, you’re a DPS Moira if you lose. (Had a game where I had only 5k damage but nearly 23k healing, but you guessed it “DPS Moira”.)

Until they deal with the PLAYER base not wanting to help supports, and only using them as scapegoats for losses, or free kills for flankers… No one is going to be jumping to support any time soon.

1 Like

Oh now, who would have thought that giving him less damage than his OW1 version while keeping the root of all problems (the new dps passive) would make genji F tier and unplayable. Who cares right? none of the support players complaining about him would ever play him

Well I figure the first thing they should do is just increase the base movement speed on Supports by 18%, from 5.5ms to 6.5m/s.

Which should get a lot closer to the ideal of making it so any Support hero can kill or run away from any 1v1 fight.

I don’t think many supports need any buffs like that. Zen would benefit greatly from it, so would Ana, but heroes like Moira, Lucio, or Brig would benefit too much from it.

Supports need a change in their core aspects, with current flankergeddon going on, supports literally have to be goat’d to survive, heal, and maintain pressure through supporting.

DPS won’t peel, tanks refuse to even turn around, half the time the other support ignores you needing healing.

On top of that, you deal with non-stop flanks, one shots across the map, Road hooks from Narnia, Rein turning 90 degrees during his charge at will. Winston diving you with very limited counter play. Zarya being full charge all game and looking at you angrily for kills.

That’s just with tanks, now let’s look at DPS…

Genji in every game
Sombra in every game (These two might balance out thanks to nerfs)
Hanzo tree trunks
Widow across map head glitching
Pocketed Ashe one tapping everyone but tanks
Bastion rolling up on you with armor, high health, and complete massacre damage
Sojourn existing

The list goes on.

They need like a 100% increase in Support players. So yeah, that means some pretty big shifts.

And they can only nerf Dive heroes so much. Once they max that out, it’s just gonna be straight Support hero powercreep buffs.

We’re already having problems with the DPS passive, so why would you give supports just as big of a passive?

It’s obvious that eventually the DPS passive will have to be tweaked or removed all together, and if you give supports something increased movement speed…

All you’ll hear is how unfair it is that supports can be so “op” but anytime a “DPS” is “meta” they get “gutted”.

The main issue I see across the board is not the support role in general, it’s a PLAYER issue in general.

DPS and tanks all scream for healing, and demand it as soon as they take any damage, but if you need peeling, and ask for it…

“Get good” “Supports are OP, you’re just bad” etc etc

Why should I even bother playing support with this community?

That’s the fun part.

I don’t care.

Literally every single person complaining could quit and it wouldn’t matter, when compared to the player count loss from bad queue times, bad matchmaker and bad Supports.

Like if they gotta lose 10,000x players to gain/maintain 100,000x players. Then that’s just a smart business decision.

You’re missing the point. There is literally ZERO incentive to play support. Little BP exp? Check. Underwhelming heroes that are basically feed for current DPS and tanks? Check.

Kits that only influence game heavily during ults, most supports can’t heal through any real damage, and it’s evident since OW1, and now in OW2 with DPS being so strong now. Really that we need support abilities that literally deny death.

If they’d fix the support role to be actually impactful like tank or DPS, more people would play it, but Blizzard has proven time and time again, that the only roles they care about maintaining strength in, are DPS. (Side eyes at Sojourn existing)

Nah, I think I got it pretty straightforward.

The devs care about getting the largest playerbase possible, because that will lead to the best microtransaction and PVE box copy sales.

And anything that gets in the way of that, could be considered “acceptable collateral damage”. I.e. Unnecessary players

Heck, I wouldn’t be surprised if Support players typically spend more per capita on cosmetics.

And that is the problem. I’ve seen a lot of your posts, some good, some absolutely horrendous.

But the common thing I see is… You seem to think only you understand how to fix/balance the game. It’s great you’re passionate about it, but you cannot expect people to just accept your takes at face value.

Which is vocal DPS mains. Anytime a support sees meta, you’ll see the cascade of “NERF (support)!!!”

I have only purchased the BP, I am not paying the outrageous amount of money for skins I didn’t get in OW1.

A lot of people feel the same, but yes there are some who just mindlessly throw their money around.

Lol, but that’s the thing, ultimately it doesn’t matter if I convince anybody in the community, if I can convince the devs themselves.