Game suddenly closed, no error message

Overwatch is quite stable on my system and I’ve not had any issues with crashing in a very long time.

Just now during a Quick Play game, though, the game exited to my desktop with no error message. The Windows Event Log doesn’t indicate any sort of application crash, either - the process seems to have ended ‘successfully’ as far as the operating system is concerned. I certainly didn’t alt+f4 or select any ‘Exit game’ option though.

I’m not particularly concerned, as this was a single occurrence, just leaving feedback in case this happens to be an issue with the 1.70 patch.

15 Likes

I had the same issue around 6:35 CST as well. More context to hopefully replicate this issue.

• I was placed as a tank in backfill on rialto second point.

• When I selected Rein and was placed in base, I was given a “if you remain inactive you will be removed from match” yellow text

• I joined the team and started fighting right under the bridge before it turns to go to the docks

• I used fires trike then the game closed.

That’s as much as I can remember.

I was attacking on Hanamura, playing as Symmetra, moving out of the second Attacker spawn through the left door when the game exited.

I joined after the start of the game; picked tracer, played one min and it crashed too.

1 Like

i had this problem twice, 5 minutes ago. Took 20~30 seconds to crash it in a custom game.

i was in a queue for competitive locked 6v6, after the first crash the queue was still on :thinking:

I just had this problem right now as well, just joined an arcade qp game in Watchpoint and was about to select my hero when the application closed, no error message or anything. Searched up to see if anything else ever had the same problem and seems like it’s an issue with the new patch

1 Like

It is an issue with the new patch. I just had the same issue and I was playing in a Friendly Game (Custom Games). I never had any issue with Overwatch before. Its basically just something that needs to get patched

1 Like

Same issue for me. Once on 3/1 in MH or QP (can’t recall which), and then once on 3/3 in Comp. It hasn’t happened since, but I have avoided playing Comp because of the possibility. Ran a “repair” on it today, so we’ll see… Any confirmation of a bug from Blizz?

1 Like

This also just happened to me. 4 members of my team (including myself) crashed during a comp game at Busan Sanctuary. I had some friends I was playing with in a group crash a few days ago randomly as well.

1 Like

I did the exact same thing, joined an already in progress game, picked tracer, and a minute later the game client closed, with no error message, or nothing in the event viewer for windows.

I have not had any crashes on Overwatch in years.

2 Likes

This also drops endorsement level; it looks like the game registers you as a quitter.

Honestly, I don’t even know what the endorsement levels do, but for some reason I’m still super salty about my 4 dropping to a 3 for this ahaha.

1 Like

Yeah, my endorsement level dropped from 3 to 2 because of this.

Hey guys, very important please be very specific to the behavior of your system when it crashed. If there are any error messages, please report those as well.

UPDATE Blizzard is aware of this issue and tracking reports in this thread:

Hi Wyoming, as we’ve noted, the interesting thing about this ‘crash’ is that there are no error messages. The game just closes. It doesn’t even register as an application crash as far as Windows is concerned.

It’s also difficult to replicate (it hasn’t happened to me again) so we can’t really give steps to do so.

3 Likes

Hi Everyone, the same thing happened to me, however, i was in a party of 3 and it happened to all of us at the same time. Me and 2 friends were on Competitive Ilios. Last point and was going well. One of our supports randomly leaves which we thought was odd and then he rejoined. In the next 2 minutes, my game closes without an error message. Speaking to my mates and their game closed also and we were all in a party. Annoying. I wonder how all of us just got closed at the exact same time.

1 Like

Yep, it’s actually people making the game crash for other players.
Like in tf2

1 Like

Just had this happen to me and my party of 4 moments ago. The first guy that dropped, but he drops on occasion, so we thought it was just him. 2 minutes later, 2 of 3 of us exited to desktop with no error nor anything in the Windows logs. We both tried again, 2 minutes later, exited to desktop without error. Tried once more, 3rd guy exited to desktop without error alongside me.

This is lovely!

Just happened to me.

The very same thing happened to me just now, and about a week ago as well. The first time, although first time for me (no error, just as if I pressed alt+F4) I didn’t think much of it, but this time I thought something must be wrong.

Can’t remember about last week but today I was a backfill in Junkertown, and about a minute in the game, this happened to me. Again, no error or anything.

It has been happening frequently to me too, to the point the game is going to penalize me for its crashes :frowning:

No error messages. It just instantly brought me to the desktop.