Game freezing with Intel i3 / Dual core CPUs

i dont have good cpu intel i5-4200U but like do the others here 2 core and 4 threads

although the command worked for me and I can play the overwatch for a longer time, it is definitely not stable and after some time I will probably get freezing again, so Iā€™m still waiting for updates to correct this bug

1 Like

got additional question for you mey do you run igpu in the laptop?

I am also trying to fix it I wrote a laptop thread with other stuff you can try around power setting hidden in windows and geforce experience.

no its not stable for either i am in a i5 6272U laptop I still crash. our cpus are very similar. OH do you have win 10 64 or win 10 32bit

I run win 10 64 with 8gb mem and a ssd

that said try 2 for the cmd line and plug the laptop in, check powerplan settings.

i dont use igpu, i have gpu amd radeon hd 8600m with 8 gb ram and win 10 64bit

what settings do you have in overwatch?

i3-4000M, GeForce 840M 2GB, 8GB DDR3 over here - game works like a charm on low settings with dynamic render off and then boom. Freeze & crash.

I guess Blizzard just hates CPUs with hyperthreading, considering most of people who had posted here have a dual-core CPU with hyperthreading. :slight_smile:

Try commendline ā€“ā€“tank_WorkerThreadCount 2
Maybe will be work for you

It did not, Iā€™ve seen many people suggesting that alongside this specific command line ā€œ-tank_WorkerThreadCount 2 -thread 2 -d3d11ā€ presumably fixed their game. But that ainā€™t it for my computer apparentlyā€¦

Same issue! Didnā€™t happen in OW1 (or any other game for that matter, even the more resource demanding ones), already froze out of a few competitive matches which caused my final placements to fall quite a bit. :frowning_face: Hopefully Blizzard gets to fixing this!

How to put this command line ? Please

in battle.net game settings ->additional command line arguments-> and write ā€“ā€“tank_WorkerThreadCount 2
hope it will work for you

I have two systems
a desktop and laptop

and before i upgraded the desktop (itx build)
I ran spend hours optimising ow1 on a 4770k on a igpu hd4000 so getting the best with not much was a focus on that so comming to this problm it helped. (45fps people for ow1 on a 4700 igpu no problem) on my currrent 10600K igpu build i am pllaying ow2 at over 60fps with no crashes at all i some times get dips though and i am working on my fidelity settings.

for the laptop and the reason i want to get it to work i have a quadro m600m 2gb
so obviously it look s way better but it freezes.

I dont think its the gpu thats a problem its the load on the cpu that is especially in 8gb systems. my gut feel if your trying to play for longer to keep vram lower.

there three things i a have avoided saying till now because this is specificly aimed at laptop users from runs i done to band aid the mobile c2 t4, your mem capacity on your m8600 is 2gb like mines mines is 4 years newer but is a quaddro so lets say its equivalent as those are slower than the equivalent gtx models.

1. I have found medium settings in graphic preset less stuttery, however they can lock in fast moving scenarios more.

2. there is some evidence to suggest that low preset isnt the best and freezes more than medium.

if your playing super safe in low
id set
textures medium
texture filtering x4
fog off
shadows off
relfections low
lighting low offf
model medium
ambient occlusion off

the other thing i do is limit data send and received to server its in on of the menus.

medium settings (aim to keep the load on gpu about 50-65%) for the cpus side i still opt for a the next astrike up from the low on the resolution. i.e not 1280x800 but 1600x900
and although the the gpu can handle it the frame size i.e the memory and the process on the cpu get bigger and thats not something i want. i want as little to rock the boat as possible as our sodimms are slower than dimms.

1. i have been experimenting with -d3d11 tag whilst it has made things supper snappy it still freezes it also has some tearing now evident. so jurys out on this tag. one peep swore on it for for helping there igpu 2c4t

DYNAMIC RENDER IS ALWAYS OFF.
ansiotropic is also as that is usually a maths and gpu big burden ona system to i minimise that too.

the strange thing is that the medium settings are more stable for you.
i have all in low settings and limit data send and received to server is turned off

if you have a dxdiag i appreciate that from both you and #Mey

there arnt alot of mobility dx reports so if your trying these things and get crashes post the dxdiag at voarious setting i have a look I trying to work out what w can so as laptop users but the pool of players is very small. posting her frome 2c4t laptop users

what i am saying is we should form a posey/wolfpack

what is my man waffling about :skull:

if your not try
set up medium preset
if your only getting 40fps
set lighting to low or off
and turn off occlusion

see if you can maintain a >45-60 fps alot of the time. if not drop the resoultion from 1900x1080 (which most people run to a 1600x900 that should up you to 60fps

trying to get better performance on old intel laptops desktop users need not aplly

Wtf, its working better

1 Like

oh instresting what settings did you have and what are you using now

Its working better but i have freezing hmm