Frustrated Parent - Overwatch 2

Sure, feel free to prove them wrong then. Otherwise, typing sus just seems sus.

It’s a complicated topic, hence the link to Jonathan Haidt’s article. I’m not going to waste time explaining such a topic to you.

You are sus precisely because you oversimplify such a complicated topic, and oversimplify some more with your “middle ground” argument.

Your simplistic recommendations is wrong where minors with phones are concerned – it might apply to peanut allergies and its increase because of oversheltering kids from peanut butter on recess, but not necessarily where phones are concerned.

1 Like

Ah, but you see having a phone means nothing unless you have a post-paid plan. Roughly 74 million Americans as of 2020 have pre-paid phone plans, meaning they can’t play unless they switch plans to a post-paid plan. This means they might have to pay more, when they don’t necessarily need to pay more, if they want to play what should be a free game.

To be fair this whole argument is now mostly irrelevant. Since most older Overwatch accounts will not have to use the SMS system that newer accounts will be subject too. Obviously this still sucks for new players, but Blizzard will probably not back down anymore than this.

1 Like

OP:

“ We designed Overwatch 2 to be a live service, which enables us to be responsive to a variety of player feedback. We have made the decision to remove phone number requirements for a majority of existing Overwatch players. Any Overwatch player with a connected Battle.net account, which includes all players who have played since June 9, 2021, will not have to provide a phone number to play. We are working to make this change and expect it to go live on Friday, October 7. We will update players once it is in effect.”

Facts. Stop letting these annoying gen Zs on games to old for them. Tired of the annoyance tbh. The sms thing isnt a big deal since teens have them and its rated T for teens not kids.

…doesn’t make the game ‘pay to play’ as you incorrectly claimed… :wink:

Sure, let me sum up observations about your posts: no citations or references to what you call studies, only assertions which are unsupported.

And now, name calling.

Now look who’s sus now. :smiley:

Pay-to-Play: relating to or denoting an arrangement in which a charge must be paid to play a game or sport.

Tell me, can you play Overwatch 2 (as a player that had an account after July 2021) without paying for a post-paid phone plan?

2 Likes

There’s been something about how you can not update with patches and it stays the old way and the whole point of this was to let both versions play together. It will just connect original game to modern Battle.Net, and probably add the balance patches. Still, Warcraft 3 is around, even if misshapen, but OW1 is gone (until it’s re-released as “Overwatch Classic”, of course).

Wooo. :neutral_face:

Can’t wait for Overwatch Classic where you have to re-earn all of your skins.

1 Like

Most likely too. They’ll also start with the 21 (or however many it was) heroes from May 2016 and keep re-adding the following ones to “recapture that feeling”, like the do with WoW Classic’s expansions.

I’ll still fire up D2 Resurrected, or War3 Reforged (yes, I do have it), but that’s got much more to do with nostalgia. We know Diablo 4 is gonna have a ton of cosmetics already and now I wouldn’t be surprised if they suddenly announce that too is free-to-play, if you have a phone.

Unfortunately possible at this point. Especially for something like Doomfist being DPS again (I still don’t get how is he reworked into any kind of effective tank).

Ah, but get ready to pay for those heroes this time. Got to monetize that nostalgia.

Lots of Gen Zs are adults now. I’m 25.

I 100% agree with you. They took OW1 from me and because I have metroPCS I can’t play OW2…dude. Why would they ever choose a persons phone as a mandatory way of logging in? Blizzard you’ve ruined my faith in you. I feel you don’t care about us. Take the phone thing away…or at the very least. Give me back OW1…now I can’t play either.

1 Like

Agreed, I personally love it and couldn’t care less about the people that don’t. I am hardcore competitive gamer, I know I won’t get to OWL or anything, but I want to keep the competitive integrity of this game instead of having throwers or smurfs every other game due to it being F2P.

This is personally the best system I have seen to prevent smurfing because an account is easily bought, a new phone and number with an active monthly plan isn’t. More games should do this.

I love the fact that you need a phone number to play now but it should only be if you want to play comp. If you want to play QP or casual game modes, then it shouldn’t be required. This would solve the problem of smurfing or throwing comp games but also allow people to play casually in case they don’t have a phone.

This has been disproven a $1 disposable number is obtainable. TERRIBLE for legit players cuz it’s unreliable for long term use. But GREAT for smurfs/cheats/etc.

…what you’re leaving out of that definition is the payment is given directly to the facilitator of the game:wink:

P2P is something like EA Play where you need to pay to use their service to access their games… :wink: OW1 was another example of P2P where you paid a ‘box price’ for a license to access the OW1 servers… :wink:

A company asking people to provide phone verification is simply not the same thing… :wink:

For those that don’t know

SMS Protect

We designed Overwatch 2 to be a live service, which enables us to be responsive to a variety of player feedback. We have made the decision to remove phone number requirements for a majority of existing Overwatch players. Any Overwatch player with a connected Battle.net account, which includes all players who have played since June 9, 2021, will not have to provide a phone number to play. We are working to make this change and expect it to go live on Friday, October 7. We will update players once it is in effect.

We remain committed to combating disruptive behavior in Overwatch 2—accounts that were not connected to Battle.net as well as new accounts will still have to meet SMS Protect requirements, which helps to ensure we’re protecting our community against cheating. If a player is caught engaging in disruptive behavior, their account may be banned whether they have a new account or not.

As a team, we will keep listening to ongoing feedback and will make further adjustments in this area if it is required.

Full details on this and what they’re doing to fix the issues can be found here.

That was literarily the definition off the internet, so no it does not need to be given to the facilitator of the game.

Also Blizzard has decided to change the understood definition of sequel, since all Overwatch 2 is is a glorified update. So I feel it’s fair to tweak the definition of Pay-to-Play (even though I probably don’t have to since no definition I found said it needed to be payed to the facilitator).

In the end you need to pay money to get into the game. Whether you think it is F2P or not doesn’t matter, in the end people are paying money to get into a game that is “F2P”. I guess the better way to say it is that it’s a F2P game locked within a P2P barrier. It doesn’t matter if you want to call it F2P, there is a barrier to entry that is paid.

Clearly we ain’t going to reach an understanding so I think I’m done responding to you. All the arguments you have been using are literarily because you don’t have to pay Blizzard to play we can ignore that the barrier of entry into Overwatch 2 is paid. So have a nice night and I guess enjoy playing your F2P experience that you pay $10 a month to be able to access.