FPS drops when multiple abilities used

Hi,

I’ve found that whenever a bunch of abilities have been used in rapid succession (and sometimes not even that), my frames drastically drop from 130 to 30 fps for a few seconds. I have been looking all over the place for answers, but have had little success. I don’t have any overlays, any background programs, and I have my graphics at minimal settings. Any help would be appreciated.

Howdy!

Can you please post up your Dxdiag for us to review. Copy the dxdiag contents into your reply, highlight the text then select the code block icon </>. This action will help us review the information faster.

It says that my dxdiag file has too many characters to post a reply

If your DxDiag does not fit in one message, you can post it on Pastebin.com and provide the hash code (the numbers/letters after the .com) in your reply.

Hello,

I am experiencing a drastic frame drop in general with the winter patch that came out. I was previously able to run around 100 fps on all Epic settings but I am now averaging around 50 fps on average. I have went ahead and submitted my DxDiag on the pastebin link. I appreciate any assistance I can get on this!

Edit After browsing through the technical support forums on common technical issues, I was able to find some trouble shooting problems and followed them as instructed. I am now happy to report that I am averaging 150 average FPS on ultra settings. I will no longer be needing assistance. I appreciate the efforts from everyone involved though. Good luck to everyone else.

here is the code after the .com
QYYFF3xd

Looks like your audio driver is crashing, and you have some Windows updates you need to install. Start with those. I also see some Apple device errors, anything from Apple connected via USB?

The apple errors are either from having my phone connected to the computer, or from having the itunes app on my computer, which runs on windows. Also, where could I install those windows updates and fix the audio driver?

Edit: I found where to get the windows updates

The Windows update might take care of that. If not, find your motherboard manufacturer’s website and get the audio drivers there. If you don’t know the motherboard manufacturer, you can use CPU-Z (an app) to tell you. It will be on the Mainboard tab.

I’m guessing I would download it from the cpuid website?

Yeah, CPUID is their website.

Ok, apparently my motherboard is made by CFL, but when I look it up, all that pops up is canadian football. I’ve checked the audio drivers in device manager, and they are apparently up to date. I have played a few games, and the fps drops aren’t as frequent and severe, but they still seem to be there

Since it’s a laptop, you might benefit from checking for heat spikes with HWMonitor.

Would putting my GPU and CPU fans at max RPM possibly cause fps drops

Probably not, but it wouldn’t hurt to monitor the temps. I monitor mine all the time even when there’s no issue, just so nothing surprises me.

Just played a game where I had a couple of fps drops. Looks like the max temperature my intel core i5 got to was 98 degrees celsius. I’m guessing that would be considered overheating.

You would be guessing right. I think the max temp is 100C, so it’s going to start heavily throttling itself to avoid reaching that temp.

Max temp seen here: Intel Core i58300H Processor 8M Cache up to 4.00 GHz Product Specifications

I suggest cleaning your fans, and using a cooling pad. If it doesn’t improve, you may need to get the thermal paste for the CPU replaced, and/or replace any fans in the laptop body that aren’t working properly.

I do have a cooling pad that I’ve been using (though it has been a little iffy about actually working), and the thermal paste has been replaced fairly recently. I’ve played a few more games, and I’ve still had the temperature sticking around the high nineties.

Edit: I’ve also cleaned the bottom of the laptop recently.

Time for a new cooling pad I suppose. Prolonged use at those high temps can shorten the lifespan of your CPU.

As far as I can remember, my laptop has always gotten pretty hot whenever I’ve played Overwatch. How exactly would I be able to tell if my cpu has been damamged?