FPS Drops Lagging Stuttering in the first minutes of the game

I even wrote a workshop script to do this for me… XD Quickly change through all heroes, press every ability and then exit. I usually kept it running for like 5 minutes, getting some food or smth… Meanwhile my pc sitting there with 1 frame every 2 seconds XD
Did the blizzard launcher admin mode not fix it for you?

I’ve had the same issue with Overwatch for a while now. I found that running Battle.net as administrator once fixed the problem. Thanks for all the suggestions!

1 Like

Is this how a videogame supposed to load files tho ? What is that mess ? Still not fixed too

same or similar issue here seems, higher is the number of partecipants in the game, lower is the usage of gpu (lower and more fluctuating performance).

nothing solved me, neither set as admin etc.

I have this problem now after Nvidia update. So strange to have lag for 5 min, and then Nothing.

This is exactly the issue for me as well. I loaded into practice range, lagging for a bit, then it started working again. Fired my gun, stutters, then works. It was working smoothly until I shot a TV on the wall (requires loading the animation of the TV falling) and stutters again.

I restarted the bnet client as admin, ran a scan on OW (prompted it to say it as downloading an update briefly), then restarted the bnet client (not as admin), and it seems fixed now.

It’s definitely an Overwatch issue. Punting to blame Nvidia is completely wrong here. I doubt the “tech support” even bothered reproducing the problem.

1 Like

Searing many users (me too) made similar post here. You can make your own so blizzard see the issue is big and make some actions. Can you check your gpu usage in these 2 scenarios?

1. Training stage
  2. Regular 6v6 match.

Stay 5-6 mins in each and report what you see in a brand new post.

I had the same problem causing lagging in my game for the first few matches while characters loaded, ever since I updated my graphics driver last week lol.

I didn’t want to rollback my drivers so I tried this first and it worked great! Thanks. :slight_smile:

Had the same issue with my RTX 2080 Super.

Tons of game time with zero drops in fps then all of a sudden overwatch takes 10 minutes to load before I can get consistent fps and even then I still get occasional drops maybe every 5-10 seconds. Used to be able to just load into comp and instantly get 300 fps no drops.

Reverted back from 461.72 to 456.71 and my fps was smooth as butter again.

Had exactly the same problem, and can confirm that rolling back to 457.09 with a clean install of the drivers has completely fixed it for me. It also seems to have fixed a similar problem I’ve been having with Grim Dawn.

My specs:
AMD Ryzen 7 2700X 8-core
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090
32 GB RAM
Overwatch is installed on my 860 EVO SATA M.2 SSD, but Grim Dawn is on a WD Black 6TB 7200, so the hard drive was never the problem.

Yea its the Nvidia drivers still
But it seems to have spread to more than just the 20 series cards

maybe now nvidia will fix it after what 2/3 months now?

Runing Battle.Net in Administrator Mode helped. But this: https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/overwatch/t/frame-lagframe-drops-for-first-5-minutes-of-running-game/576986/2 helped too and i dont need Admin Mode anymore.

1 Like

Definitely not the computers I got an I9 9900k and a 2080 32gb of ram and basically my pc is pretty good I always play on the highest settings and it has not happened before until recently and yes I agree It is impossible to play competitive this way. and I guess the issue does fix after leaving the game open for a little bit because I left the game on one day to go eat and when I came back about 20 min or so the game did not lag at all after that.

I just updated to the latest NVIDIA drivers 461.92, and did a custom install and clicked the box to do a clean installation. Restarted computer and have started and restarted OW several times and seems to have resolved the issue for now. Will report back if I have any further issues!

Yey! Just came back here after my overwatch finally fixed itself. Maybe Blizzard fixed it with on one of the patches. But i refused to roll back nvidia drivers and just waited for 10 minutes before playing ranked so stutter goes away. Played like this for almost a year and now it’s finally fixed. I can finally just open the game and enjoy it without having to wait.

I would like to add to this as I’ve had the same problem in the past but I found a fix thats not related to the driver version.
What I had to do was a custom install of the driver and choose the REMOVE ALL PREVIOUIS CUSTOM SETTINGS(or something similar to that) and then it completely removed the lag. i do this every time now.

Besides a clean driver install, running Bnet in admin mode should fix any residual issues.