FPS Drops Lagging Stuttering in the first minutes of the game

UPDATE: FOUND A SOLUTION, IT WAS NVIDIA DRIVERS roll back to the 456.71 or 457.09 driver. Problem is with the drivers.

Okay i see many people having this problem so i will try to explain in detail what is happening and it is happening to me too. I hope somebody from Blizzard/Nvidia takes us serious instead of blaming our computers.

1-In the first 1-15 minutes of the game, game stutters when there is a skill based action or sometimes it stutters no matter what. As low as 10 FPS sometimes, playing competitive is impossible like this.
2-When you go to hero gallery and open up a hero that hero appears with lag and after you closed it and opened it again no matter what happens whenever you open that hero it wonā€™t lag
3-After some time, like when game loaded every file it needs this problem(this takes maximum 20 minutes for me) is fixed.

Sum: I believe there is a problem with game loading the files, i am playing overwatch for MONTHS and i never even had a fps drop before. I am playing on the lowest settings also. This is just started to happen suddenly and none of the other games have this issue

What i did:
I upgraded everything, i checked my bios, i checked if there is thermal throttling, i checked if my cpu is not enough, i checked if my gpu is not enough, i uninstalled razer synapse 3, i checked everything i could hardware and software wise

I am %100 sure that this is not my computers problem
I tried EVERYTHING and because of that i know the pattern and i know what is going to happen whenever i opened the game.
There is a problem with overwatch and somebody needs to fix it. There is like 4 new topics about this

My Specs:
IntelĀ® Coreā„¢ i3-9100F
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060
16 GB Ram
ADATA SX8200PNP

8 Likes

I got this problem too, but in order to fix it (temporaraly), I had to restart my laptop. :frowning:

1 Like

UPDATE: FOUND A SOLUTION, IT WAS NVIDIA DRIVERS roll back to the 456.71 or 457.09 driver. Problem is with the drivers.

5 Likes

I have the same issue with the really low frames. How would I fix this? I see how the drivers go back but what do I need to do to fix this

Hello, came here for the same problem, I used the perf tool on OW.
Large white bar, and then after few minutes itā€™s all good.
Will try also to roll back drivers, thanks.

1 Like

Just download the 456.71 or 457.09 driver from nvidia and install

The latest drivers from 1/7 (461.09) still havenā€™t solved this either, unfortunately. It sucks because in order to get the most out of other games I need the latest drivers.

Has Blizzard acknowledged working with nVidia on this at all?

Did some more fiddling and nada. Itā€™s definitely JUST Overwatch and only with nVidia drivers released towards the end of last year and this year. But Iā€™m not rolling back to mid/early 2020 drivers. Anyone have any ideas?

I have the same issue, and iā€™m definitely not going to roll back my drivers and hurt other gameā€™s performances just because overwatch has a weird bug. Looks like theres nothing we can do but wait for blizzard to patch it.

I mean its 2021 drivers and patches are suppose to fix problems and improve performance yet they often make things workā€¦figure it out Blizz/nvida

so frustratingly annoying :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

Overwatch is literally the only game having any issues with newer nVidia drivers. Shame thereā€™s no way to at least get this acknowledged.

1 Like

Maybe thatā€™s true for your collection of games, but that is definitely not the case for myself and other players. Several members of the forum have said they had issues with CoD and some Steam games, as well. Blizzard hasnā€™t changed anything about the way the game interacts with drivers, the only thing that has changed is nVidiaā€™s driver. The ballā€™s in their court to remedy it. They released a new one on the 26th that seems to be working fine for me, but YMMV.

1 Like

Guys, try to endure the first 2 rounds. Do the stutter go away? If yes then you are dealing with the same loading issue I struggled for the past 2 months.

2 things that fixed it for me:
Run Battle.Net in Administrator Mode (This did it for me)
NVidia Control Panel set to ā€œMaximum Performanceā€ just for overwatch

2 Likes

And nicole, i can confirm that this has something to do with the game loading the files. And this behaviour is overwatch only.

When you join the practice range after booting up the game you will get a initial lag spike before the character previews. Then the character is loaded and you have max FPS again. In my case i chose Zarya.

Then you will get a lag spike after you right click, because the game has to load the animation and the particle effects.
Then you get another lag spike when the right click hits the ground, because the game needs to load the decal and the hit particles. Whenever you repeat this process there is no issue and you have max FPS again. When you hit an enemy though with your right click you get an additional lag spike because the game needs to load the hit animation, sound and particles.

You can repeat this process for every ability, and every ability will have one lag spike, but then work fine.

When you get into a real game though, every player is using abilities at the same time, so you will just get a laggy mess, due to all the abilities needing to load at the same time. This is what other players are reporting here.

If you need any further information about the issue please write me. I did various tests, changing drivers, settings, and in-game settings.

What fixed it for me was running Battle.net in administrator mode. It was suggested on a reddit forum, i do not find the link anymore though.

4 Likes

I can also confirm that this only happened to me after i changed my ram from
1x 8GB 2200HZ to 2x 8GB 3600HZ.

Maybe the clock rate of the ram is too high for overwatch to reliably load files? I do not know why running Battle.Net in Administrator Mode fixed the issue though.

You are talking about a different issue then.

This issue is -only- Overwatch, and it is only right at startup, and goes away after a while before things are fine.

Which specific setting did you change for this?

FWIW launching Battle Net as Admin and changing the preferred power settings in Application Settings -> Overwatch of the nVidia Control Panel seems to have fixed it for me as well, which is bizarre.

Folks, try it if you havenā€™t.

1 Like

SOLVED!

Holy moly! I canā€™t belive itā€¦ thanks a lot mate, it worked.

I downloaded Nvidiaā€™s 457.09 driver and installed it. I choosed the ā€œnew installation-checkboxā€ and it de-installed the 461.xx driver and installed the 457.09 afterwards.

Then, i started Overwatch as administrator and it just works now - i tried eeeeverything till here so againā€¦ thank you

giving u a badge :partying_face:

EDIT: Hello again, u need to install the Nvidia 457.09 driver AND start the game as administrator. Iā€™ve tested it with and without administrative permissions and everytime i do it with the right, it loads fast and there is no stuttering at all. Keep that in mind!

1 Like

I had the same issue for around 1-2 months I think (low FPS for around 1-2 minutes until ā€˜all skills are loaded)ā€™.

While it never happened before over 3-4 years. I am a lazy guy, Iā€™ve only run the battle.net as admin then run OW. I swear I only did this, didnā€™t touch drivers or anything else. This single action solved my problem permanently (so far 3 days already). I have no idea why.
My specs: legion Y520, I7, RTX2060, SSD.
Thank you for posting the tip with admin mode. I wish it helps everyone who looks here, cheers!

2 Likes

Same way I get it to work until there is a real fix. Just load into practice range and use every ability one time and then itā€™s smooth sailing. FPS back to normal.