Forced lose streak is a thing, stop denying it

I had this happen to me back in OW1 when I had 2 accounts.

I don’t think it was a forced loss streak, but more a problem to do with how I was playing.

If you’re used to playing in diamond or above, playing in that same style in lower ranks usually sees you losing. You get used to being able to push and rely on a support to keep you up, you get used to a team knowing when to be aggressive and doing so all at the same time etc.
You then expect those things in say, plat, and end up dying or having to back down because your teammates aren’t on the same page.

Also a load of goofy crap that wouldn’t happen or go unpunished in higher ranks actually works and catches you off guard. For example a Cass popping high noon on a flank should be insta-dead, but in gold kills all 4 of your allies.

That’s how you lose touch with the community.

As long as you have reason and proof on your side, I believe that the vast majority will side with you.
But what they did from the beginning was to say, “Trust us”, “We can’t tell you how it works in detail”, “You don’t want that” and so on.
And we had to watch how great games turned into … bad games.

It’s not that they’re screwing up, they’re screwing up with a special kind of boldness.
Perhaps Twitter is the ideal platform to convey this kind of attitude.

except that isnt how it started. We had devs and OW employees explain how stuff worked before. We originally had that.

But even if a dev explained something, the forums would assume they are lying or attack them still.

We drove away the devs.

Granted that was the OW1 devs, the current devs are a different story.

The very first thing they said about the matchmaker was “There’s so much more under the hood, but we won’t talk about that”.

I kinda think us not knowing more is for the best, considering the amount of smurfs and griefers we have.

Im currently looking at the post devs have made on the forums and cant find that? mind linking me the article?

Edit: I cant find a post (i used the find command so i might have missed it) of the devs talking about matchmaker.

The only real post i found amout MM is

Most of us have not yet had the opportunity to participate in the development of a complex matchmaker that serves millions of players.

But here’s are two questions that an actual matchmaking developer or a mathematician might be able to answer:

1. Is it possible for a matchmaking service to operate completely transparently without compromising integrity?
    So you would have mathematically verifiable, detailed values that are visible to everyone so that you can check whether the team composition was optimal at the point of creating the match?

2. Is it possible to carry out a transparent evaluation of players based solely on public criteria? I know the common reason given here on the forum is that players would exploit these criteria if they were public.
    But isn’t it bad matchmaking if you have to hide your rating criteria? Doesn’t that mean that your game wouldn’t work if everyone played it at the best possible level?
    As I understand it, all of the matches would have to improve in quality if the evaluation criteria were public.

It was a bit harder to find.

The system is extremely complicated and there is a lot more going on here than I am going to spell out. So please don’t take this as the comprehensive guide to how MMR is calculated in Overwatch. There is definitely a lot more going on under the hood.

https://web.archive.org/web/20160624113139/http://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20745504371#post-3

1 Like

Yeah, I notice just whiplash matchmaking. You are getting rolled or you are the one rolling, and it rarely it goes toe to toe. So after winning a bunch of matches, you get horrible unwinnable matches afterward. Not even marginally harder, but straight out impossible.

1 Like

Thanks for finding that, but did you read that whole post?

Litterally the next paragraph is him explain MMR.

But saying

Is just a lie.

He litterally gave a simplfied version of how it worked. He did tell us how it works. Granted he didnt get technical about it, but very few people need the full data around it.

Its like I said

We had people like jeff explain stuff on the forums orgianlly, becuase the forums were good back then.

Overtime we become more and more toxic and the devs started posting less and less.

The devs still give info out, they just dont do it on the forums anymore becuase of us.

But that’s the only thing that matters.

Maybe they’ll stop selling games at some point because of us.

Correct?

weather a games sells or not comes down to us?

What public criteria? MMR is the driving force for setting up matches.

in the case of that post from Kaplan (which is btw super old, from summer 2016, even before competitive mode was enabled I believe):

• The first factor is time.
  • A second factor we take into account is ping
  • the next factor that we match on: grouping.
  • this leads me to matchmaking rating. This rating is the most important thing that we try to match on.

and then:

The system is of course deeper than this. There are penalties and handicaps added for things like not playing for a while or playing in groups of varying sizes.

Anyway, I think Jeff here is referring to the matchmaking for essentially QP there. As he’s talking “groups having no restrictions” unlike they do have in competitive, etc.

Regardless, here’s something else from Jeff:

At no point in MMR calculations do we look at your win/loss ratio and win/loss ratio is never used to determine who to match you with or against.
We are not trying to drive your win/loss percentage toward a certain number (although the fact that so many people are at 50% win rates makes us extremely happy).
All the system does when it comes to matching on skill is attempt to match you with people of a similar number.

1 Like

MMR is something they came up with but never explained.

And still no explanation. That’s exactly my question: why does it have to be so obscure?
They have made mistakes in the past, and so we have found that it is beneficial to play heroes that are rarely played at a certain rank. I wonder what else is beneficial for my MMR.
Maybe my MMR goes up if I wallride more than I need to?
Why can’t it be public?

because if someone knows how something works people abuse it.

Or it gets changed constantly its pointless to tell.

Example: Let say they give 100% of the details, and people find that you get 10% more points if you go full damage on supports?

People stop healing and going full damage to get more immaginary points.

We dont need the kraby patty secret forumla

1 Like

Oh its a widely used system in almost all games with skill based matchmaking.
What part about it in your opinion would need explaining?

Your mmr only changes based on winning or losing matches, what heroes you play and/or how, do not matter at all.
(Besides that you have a separate MMR for each role.)

In OW1 there used to be a performance based system for people below diamond, ie, if some of your stats were better than others around your rank you could gain or lose a bit more rating per win or loss.
But it’s completely removed in ow2.

In my view, that just shows that something is wrong with the evaluation.
Let’s assume everyone knows how it works because it’s public, why doesn’t that lead to better quality matches? There must be something wrong with this approach.

If it only goes up and down by “25”. What’s the difference between MMR and SR?

I didn’t even have to look because my QP matches are so bad today, I too was making a game log just to see if I was maybe imagining it. I wasn’t.

In 7 matches I went (1-6) and most were stomps.

Losses:
1 match - my team had 2 feeders, but supports carried them until losing at the end.
1 match - my team had 1 new player dps and support, by profiles and gameplay. STOMP!
1 match - my team had a new player tank vs enemy full group (I recognize them). STOMP!
3 matches - had leavers or throwers after first team fight. STOMP! STOMP! STOMP!

1 match - my team won, going down to overtime near the end. ONLY FAIR MATCH

It’s awful with all these new players, feeders and throwers, being put up against full groups. Remember that groups AVOID this because they are far less likely to get problem players when they bring their own.

Because MM doesnt really effect match quality as much as the forum makes it out.

You could play 10 games all the the same people and same heroes and the same map, and each one of those could result in a different outcome.

MM doesnt factor in everthing.

It doesnt know if you ate a taco for lunch or not making your tummy upset which in turn effected your gameplay?

People love to say MM is the root cause but thats just incorrect.

The root cause for bad matches is humans. We cause bad matches more then MM does

1 Like