Flex or One-Trick?

Both.

You can flex, but as long as you are able to flex between a main healer, a shield tank and 1-3 DPS, you are pretty much set. In my opinion.

For some reason some people say that one-tricks usually have better skills with their chosen hero than flex players.

But in reality I pretty often see players with hundreds of hours on McCree that cannot kill Tracer after stun. Or players with hundreds hours on Genji that always die at first second of Dragonblade. Or players with hundred hours on Widow that cannot perform a single kill within 10 minutes.

1 Like

yes but if they are truly a one-trick they should be able to perform really well on that character, and it’s usually dps one-tricks.
in which would you rather have?
a one-trick tracer and a flexing d.va
or a flexing tracer and a flexing d.va?

and there’s rarely people complaining about support or tank one tricks unless they all somehow happen in one and the same game.

but i do agree that one-tricking is a difficult issue to deal with especially if it’s solo que, that’s why it might be healthier to just have a main and maybe 2-3 characters that you can feel confident about flexing to. preferably a role your main isn’t. or you could have flex characters in that role and only be maybe just a “dps” or just “a support” or “main tank” etc. kind of player.

but i think the healthiest for the game itself is if it was played with actual groups of people you knew and could coordinate that stuff with before hand, but that will pump up the skill level requirement really high as some issues aren’t any issues and other issues becomes more prevalent as now you face other 6 stacks that will be way more coordinated.

but yeah, all things depends on circumstances.

One-tricking.

It’s a secret but they’re actually carrying the flex players.

2 Likes

Let’s see, three stack of “one tricks” vs a three stack of current/former OWL/professional players. I wonder what happens…

3 Likes

Ha ha ha… okay. Whatever you say, fam. I just could not like this post and leave it at that. I had to just tell you thanks for making it worth my time to read this thread. These are the kind of posts I live for.

I would prefer to have both flex. Because enemy team can pick Brig, or McCree or another Tracer counter and this one-trick Tracer will be useless, while flex Tracer could adapt and change to something else.
One-tricking does not necessarily mean that this player has better skills. Some players invest tons of time into one hero and still suck at playing it.

sure but i’m going to be honest, you won’t get the same depth and understanding with a character unless you played it for a long time and actually taken great effort to try and learn that character, what can a tracer do against a certain counter for example brig, well she can farm pulse bombs, against mccrees it’s just be better than them.
and trust me a good tracer can kill a bad mccree and a bad brig.

1 Like

That’s anecdotal.

Plus Eviltoaster isn’t a one-trick any more.

i don’t think most high ranked players are one-tricks, they might have mains and usually try and overcome their counters and sometimes succeeds and sometimes fails and at which they swap to another character they feel pretty confident with.

It is a curious forum-ism that the DPS is simultaneously the hardest carry role in the game and the most maligned and ineffective role in the game. I certainly wish you’d make up your mind about that. Either the DPS are outclassed by alleged tank and support power creep or the DPS are hard carrying the tanks and supports, but not both.

1 Like

Honestly, I somewhat agree with both of you. The relationship is parasitic, I love using flex players for dank wins; however, it is symbiotic by nature. Flex players benefit from my carry, I benefit from their carry set-up… win-win even if they want to shed tears about how much they hate flexing while I am having a blast firing at domes.

I will agree with someone above who said that majority of heroes are not as difficult to learn, understand and even master as some players say.
I understand a difference of skill level between grandmaster Tracer and plat tracer. It is huge.
But difference between plat flex tracer and plat one-trick tracer is minimal, tbh.
I and flex. And Tracer is not even in my pool of heroes, I have spend minimal time playing her. But there were several situations when I as Tracer outplayed enemy Tracer of same rank but with hundreds of hours of Tracer.

Sometimes you can spend an hour at hero and understand how it works to become decent in it. Sometimes you can spend thousand of hours on it and still suck. If more time spend would always mean more skill gained then all one-trick should be in grandmaster.

i have a blast just playing the game, i really don’t care for what kind of comp i get as long i don’t have to play with sour people.
i can flex to pretty much anything and have fun, but sure i do feel more at home with maybe 1 or 2 characters only but that’s just a preference not a requirement for me.

1 Like

Okay, well, since you are directly addressing me as a group (lul wut). I am a Widow main, so I have none of the concerns those other DPS peasants have and if I get countered, I swap to Reaper and eviscerate those garbage tanks and DPS and supports because regardless of the fact that Reaper is among the worst DPS, I am that much better than your average plat. If anything, you want me on Widow because at least you can cower behind walls and barriers. That ain’t going to save you from me reaping your soul, though. That being said, basic game sense will… but you know, I am in plat, baby. Moat of those cats cannot tell up from down.

In my personal opinion, tank is the strongest. Always has been. Power creep did not make it so, followed by DPS, and supports are the worst by a mile. That being said, the slaying potential of DPS makes it the hardest carry regardless of your opinion. DPS could literally not be viable AND STILL be the carry just because of the simple fact that killing is the easiest win condition.

If you carried as often as you claim did, wouldn’t you be placed higher than the rank that represents the statistical average in Overwatch? I suspect that you’ve oversold your capabilities in your previous remarks.

Interesting. Have a good evening.

i think sometimes one-tricks maybe are not allways as keen to learn the depths of their character and just enjoy what they do instead, and that’s some of the one-tricks that do exists.

and sometimes there are just flat out bad players that have a really hard time learning a character because that character maybe isn’t suited for them even if they like that hero.

take me for example, i never play hanzo but whenever i pick him up i do pretty well with him for some stupid reason, i hit those shots i intend to hit but i just hate playing as him even if he does come natural to me.

and i’m an actually pretty bad brig even though i would like to think otherwise but i like that character way more than i ever will hanzo, and you gotta be pretty bad if you think you can’t play brig properly right?

I think being an actual one trick—you can only play one hero well, and you will run that one hero regardless of how well they’re working or what your team needs—is less fun for everyone involved, and it fights pretty hard against the innate design of the game.

But if you are nearly a one-trick, where you have a hero that you run as much as you possibly can, but you can flex to a couple of other things if you must, then that’s fine, IMO. You don’t want to be totally up a creek if someone else instalocks your hero before you do. You don’t want to have no options if the enemy team has your number and knows exactly how to shut your hero down. You want to have a good enough grasp on the team dynamics and synergies in the game that you can think of more creative solutions to challenges than “Keep throwing Hanzo [or whoever] at it”. But zeroing in on a hero that you run most of the time will make you very, very good at that one hero, and will allow you to adapt and overcome situations that wider-spread players might not be able to handle.

Personally, I flex, and I’m happy to run any hero that I don’t abjectly suck at (Lookin’ at the brawly types—Rein, Brig, Hamster, DF). That means I’ve not achieved godlike skills on the heroes I do play, but I know what my 4-5 strongest heroes are, what my strongest roles are, and that’s where I go if it makes sense with my team. However, I can make meaningful contributions in any category and on the majority of the heroes.

I enjoy the variety of heroes in Overwatch, and I like being forced to think critically about my team comp and how best to enable my team to shine, and I find that flexing is way more suited to that than onetricking is.

So if your goal is to become astonishingly good on a hero, onetricking (with a couple of fallback options) is going to be your best bet. If your goal is to be a team player and have a strategic edge, flexing is going to serve you better, even if it doesn’t get you to as high of an SR quite as quickly.

3 Likes

Difference of opinion on the definition of carry. You imply I have to win to carry, I am satisfied with just dominating the lobby, ogling my golds, endcard, play, hate messages… the works. I just want to get higher scores. More damage than your average GM? Sign me up. Who cares if I lose if I am landing headshots? My team is the correct answer. But if they cared about winning, they could always try tanking and peeling. And when they are competent enough, easiest wins of my life.

I am good at the game, bad at winning. Even on Smash, I have a 50-50 on Richter because the lag online makes his tether recovery jank. I would be closer to a 75 if I chose a character that was not terrible. But Belmonts for life. Know what I am saying?

The fact of the matter is that I have a blast playing this game and I would have quit if I forced myself to flex. Winning means nothing to me. My rank, I am honestly scared of being at the rank I deserve (diamond) because I would just be another brick in the wall. Platinum is heaven and I can see why people throw to get down here. I am just glad my selfish playstyle rarely results in winning. Same with the weird Belmont lag in Smash. I do not want to be humbled by people who can actually play the game.

1 Like

As someone who one-tricked Mei to Grandmaster, I can say that both are valid. It’s just that people will hate you for one-tricking, whereas with flexing they will not.