Flats is leaving this game

What did Kephrii do?

1 Like

a long time ago Kephrii very loudly made it known he was quitting Overwatch to become a pro Realm Royale player (or full time streamer for it? idk), thinking he could become that games Shroud/Ninja

It lasted like 3 weeks (because without Widowmaker, you just have Kephrii, and Kephrii has the personality of Kephrii) and as of right now Realm Royale has about 70 viewers

4 Likes

Is he the one from rein buffs shenanigans? If so, good riddance, he already let out the Raid boss battle tank to plague us all.

1 Like

Flats started as an R6 Siege streamer.

Heā€™ll be fine. He has more play diversity than folks know.

5 Likes

These types of comments are best not taken seriously, especially right after someone gets a piece of bad news.

Essentially, he got bored, switched, lost huge amount of his following and came back, but his viewers left.

He used to pull in 1.5k, now itā€™s closer to 300-400, which is still good but you can definitely tell he kind of hates the game.

1 Like

He either isnt quitting or its because itā€™d severely hurt viewership because he isnt a variety streamer. If he wants to switch with minimal pain he would start playing other games during S6 before transitioning to one (or multiple) full time.

1 Like

Another lardy streamer playing damage control for his audience to keep their simple minded people from leaving if they resume to playā€¦ Nothing any of these people can say will convince anyone of remote intelligence. The ONLY respectible thing is hard switch off the game and address it with a single sentence ā€œyā€™all know why we ainā€™t playing this game anymore.ā€ That would actually be better damage control than any of these long cringy tangents all these streamers are doing.

3 Likes

I think itā€™s big news that he may leave because others may follow - heā€™s pals with emongg, seagull, jay3 and others. Heā€™s probably not making such a decision in isolation.

Saying that though, wonā€™t miss all his baby-raging. Watching him go bright red and run out of breath waiting to see if heā€™s going to have a heart-attack this time or not.

And the best thing? SVBs podcasts will be watchable again without flats.

They already have to some extent. Seagull is variety streamer already, so no issue there. The rest have been regularly working in variety streams for several months. I think they all saw the writing on the wall some time ago.

If they all leave permanently, it will put a pretty big dent in OW Twitch viewership. Not the end of the world by any stretch of the imagination, but not a good sign nonetheless.

After season 6? Itā€™s not even season 5 yet lol

They just want your clicks

8 Likes

Honestly, he will need to collab a lot with other streams to make his variety stream succeed, since they can build a fun atmosphere between each other. Iā€™ve tried watching his solo stream playing other games, itā€™s not that exciting to watch.

I consider flats to be more of an educational streamer rather than an entertaining streamer.

honestly? the guy has ā€œleftā€ so many times already. not sure if he can jump ship with his viewership following suit.
if he can tho? based.

this game deserves it

story missions.

good luck to him though. I enjoyed his stream.

I would rather play the game than watch others do it.

3 Likes

He needs to start switching now if hes serious. Start doing variety and build up a viewerbase that likes Flats himself. Not people that just want a good OW streamer.

Yeah to be honest.

I know each game has their particular market, but jumping ships usually rarely goes well even for the biggest 1m+ 3+ year established streamers with dedicated audiences unless they find a breakout role or followed for the personality.

Disguised Toast vs Kripparian from hearthstone (First, energetic magnetic personality, 2nd, Bigger hs streamer, but known solely for burning out on arena unluck) have tried to divulge.

Disguised toast was watched for his personality, jebaiting people, going on random streams with people, and although he lost like 90% of viewers at first, he found massive success with that old horse among us just since a bubbly and chaotic and fun personality worked even better for him in that game than hearthstone had.

Kripp tried to diverge into other alike card games, dungeons, perhaps even trying a few mobas or even briefly (like 10m of fortnite on a quiet day) streaming with his gf. Aside from people watching him get ran over by a car and swearing, there really wasnā€™t much of a appeal to watching him sit silent for 9 minutes in a barn and then start swearing when he got randomly headshot.

I think the thing is, Disguised toast was built on his personality. Kripp was built on his hs arena salt shenanigans. Disguised toast still took a hit but found success since people liked him. Kripp people only watched for his reactions to unluck.

Flats is kinda the same, but i feel like the only reason people watch him is just heā€™s a t500 who makes bait videos and flames (somewhat very questionable bronzes). But he has a one track personality with Rein and goes nuclear as Brig.

So heā€™s in this odd spot where he probably should and have a lot of aim sense, but all his takes are just what makes him angry with rein matchups (BRIG VS meatshield rein 1v1! KILL THE GAME, Rein 1v5 without great aim required? SKILLED!, BRIG ULT WILL KILL THE GAME!).

And like, i love rein as one of my tank picks too, but man Rein was a meatshield in those days and Brig was unironically a accidental 200 hp+500 shield duelist who could contest deathmatch hogs prenerf. Reinā€™s hammer was a tickle stick and he had no fire strikes, he was just a big dumb 2000 hp shield you could stack whoā€™s pretty much only purpose was being a shield bot and pre ko combo shatters only lasted for like 1 hammer hit so it was a pretty underwhelming uncharged orisa level ult.

People did always find it fun to charge in and swing as rein, so im glad they made him more brawly and Rammatra gets a psuedo melee brawler style for the poke play and brawl play.

But imho yeah. It just blows my mind that i donā€™t really think Flats has any takes that would make me watch him for the personality without the T500 ow bar, and i just expect him to be realistically back unless he chooses pride over reason or maybe finds some unexpected and unlikely breakout role.

I do find the pve news greatly dissapointing, just like anyone else, and i do find blizzard consistently lowering standards from wc3 refunded fourm bans for showing legal refund rights on australian misleading product consumer rights, wow bfa content cutting / dev childish pettyness on alliance vs horde spite and insulting people and telling them to allegedly race change on off work accounts.

But im just in this odd spot where it hurts more to look up only to feel dissapointed or let down.

But when you have no expectations and they still go under, you just sip your coffee as you find post 2020 blizzard going consistently from the party of ā€œblizzard polish, release it when itā€™s ready. Weā€™re in the business of gamers making the BEST games for other gamersā€. To ā€œLie about if itā€™s ready and still fake sell it for 1.5 years knowing itā€™s canceledā€ blizz,

to Warlords of draenor "You will be charged 2x more for the expac, and the only ā€˜major content updateā€™ will be a selfie camera ā€˜RAID EXPANSION CONTENTā€™ with scrapped continents, completely scrapped 70% of raid tiers, and a jump with no reasoning or explainations of going from ā€œwe must kill garroshā€ to ā€œDraenor is freeeee!ā€

To Sc2 devs literally announcing they quit because they wanted to do a game or true sequel to sc2 like sc3 or work on more coop commanders but the company expressed no interest or training or resources to finish up the last slot. So they did a last ditch effort to make a prestiege patch before they all left to frost giant to try and make stormgate with League supporters feels wrong.

I think itā€™s kinda true, the legendary blizzard game polish or at least popular mainstream imitator (Wow was everquest but more player friendly, 4 tiers of difficulty for easy vs medium vs hard vs mythic, things to do for casual players while not having the ability for old players to drag new playerā€™s corpses DEEPER into caves and make them lose all items, etc.). is kinda gone.

Blizzard is a company bought out and kinda drained by activision like a skin wearing parasite that sucks out all life of a living host and leaves only a hollow, past appearances only shell behind doing the act while the life inside died years ago. (so to speak, metaphorically)

I feel like activision bought it and maybe starved it and even WoW struggled at itā€™s previous peak because Rate of Return was a common comparison for mmorpg development putting maybe 100$M in to get 200$M out, vs putting 1M into candy crush and getting 150$M out. (made up numbers example)

Before, blizzard used to care about some level of quality, or at least, games by gamers for gamers. But then after activision, It became focused on metrics that were unrelated to game health, that looked good to stockholders but subconsiously encouraged underfunding ā€œif we cut 90% of funding, and make 90% as much profit, rate of return is 9x higher!! Who cares if we lose 70% of our players?ā€ kinda stuff.

I kinda feel like Wow in those areas felt the most scummiest behaviors. NGL i donā€™t really approve of the pve drop, but i understand that it sounds like ow2 devs being shafted by management while WoW and HS were also notorious for having activision globally slash playtesters and cut corners for recordbreaker profits while laying off people and declining game quality. It matches a pattern.

Blizzard routinely now has a history of going from a loved game genre in 1990-2010s and loved franchise provider (Warcraft, WoW, Starcraft, Esports, the father of Dotas and Mobas and Leagues). Now itā€™s a crippled husk with even much of the original talent fired, laid off, or moved on From Wow (Thrallā€™s va and game founder gone except for voice only, Sc2 dev team moved on and went to frost giant/stormgate, Hearthstone ben brode moved to make Marvel snap, Ow Jeff gone and workers reporting layoffs on private reviews and Glassdoor reviews citing management issues).

Look if thereā€™s 20 signs of a consistent and reoccuring problem over 5 ips i can believe it. Iā€™m just as dissapointed in the lack of pve and false advertising as anyone else. And i donā€™t think i defend acti blizzard in any way.

And i think streamers pointing out that the somewhat not accidental lies but INTENTIONAL concealment for 1.5 years while still SELLING the feature screams like wc3 refunded, false advertising 2 electric boogaloo. But as i read more and more, it screams a lot of patterns and i donā€™t think it sounds like we can really blame or be fair yelling at all the cog and machine devs.

From what i hear or it sounds like on glassdoor and private interviews, (alleged or not, but glassdoor backs up the problems of the private interview claims,), Blizzard is being claimed to deliberating be bleeding talent or doing layoffs to skip out without paying people.

New trainees are allegedly being hired without training from older employees making new talent resourceless to work, while old guards are fired. Forced office knowing people cannot meet at physical locations are leading to holes in teams and with the old guard gone, you expect new trainees who are overworked, underpaid, and with 0 training at all to do the work of 3-6 people with 0 of the experience or guidance they were supposed to get from said fired layoffs.

While numerous reviews on glassdoor also echo the managers making their employeeā€™s lifes hell on top of alleged industry scandal complaints or toxic workplace environment and managers as a extra cherry scoop on top??

I mean, I probably have given blizzard over 500$ over the course of 10 years of playing and i grew up looking to it and playing sc brood wars as a child and the original wc2 and 3 games. I just donā€™t think im going to open my wallet as much to them anymore.

They consistently underdeliver and overpromise knowing full well 2 years in advance when we get shoddy products that were never made. 60-100$ expansions with ā€œFEATURES!ā€ that they fully intended to never releaseā€¦ games and remasters where people are sold shoddy products and banned for sharing consumer rights. Company scandals, workplace problems.

I donā€™t mean to be needlessly negative, itā€™s nice seeing faster hero designs and the faster balance changes are nice and it still does feel like balance feedback ideas are tried fast at blizzard. (Good execution varies). But this screams management/head issues and not personally 1 dev of 3000 fired issues.

You canā€™t expect people to want to sign up to be used to do 3x the work for 1/2 the livable wage and 10% of the training while having a manager scream at them whoā€™d only want to use them and fire more people instead. I definitely do think blizzard deserves many of the game complaints, but some people take it far TOO FAR.

I expect flats and anyone losing long term interest in OW2 is warranted and a critical take is fair. But i think to be real here, you canā€™t just pack up your bags and leave d1 without a plan to build a audience back unless he finds luck in Apex/valorant.

And if he does, the best to him. But whenā€™s the last time Rein ever had a hitscan hammer for csgo style aiming anyways?

(Tl;drs)

o (Switching games often has most people lose 90% of their audience
o Most streamers havenā€™t found success, unless they were personality based

(Ex: disguised toast 2m Hearthstone-> 100k-> 10m amongus shenanigans
VS Kripp 4m Hearthstone ā†’ 17 people watching Kripp cook vegan grilled cheese sandwiches)

o While the reports are not verifyable, Glassdoor echos problems with managements.

(Claims: Undertraining, firing, layoffs. Holes in departments, toxic work environment claims, canceled projects under NDAs, scandals, new trainees find old hires fired and old people leaving, company has replaced most ogs or forced them out, leaving it a skeleton company. While trainees struggle with replacing the work of 3 lost people while having 0 training or resources themselves.)

1 Like

This is not a Flats-only problem.

Youā€™re either an Overwatch streamer, or live long enough to see yourself become the variety streamer at the same level.

2 Likes

If he really was done he would leave the game right now. Just watch him like the game again mid season 6 after the smallest update and continue afterwards

I think he wants to give the Story Mission a chance. See if what was retained is still any value. Also to see if PVP starts having a turn around. I think a lot of streamers are waiting till season 6 (which looks to have a lot in it) to see if itā€™s still worth it.