[FIXED!] Stuck at "minimum value" bronze 5

I’m bumping in this post to share my own experience :

It’s been at least 4 rank reset that I’m stuck in bronze 5 - every time the same pattern :

I’m on a 4 win streak, just killing everyone with a huge gap between my stats and the others stats - either playing DPS and having more than 40 kills every matches, with a pattern of either rolling the ennemy team or (more rarely) closer games with a bit of challenge and a bit less of a difference in stats.

And then, after winning all the games, all of a sudden : I loose every single matches, I’m getting rolled until I end up with a ratio -5-5 or 5-6…

So what the point in playing competitive? If the MMR is still bugged and the win/loose ratio is rigged?

Sure, I’ve stopped playing Overwatch for a while, but coming back to the game, liking it again and see that no matter my stats, I’m still stuck every single time?? And they are telling us the “looser queue isn’t real” ??

2 Likes

I’ve just win 5 in a row, alone, without any loss.
And I got…
Bronze 5 again :slight_smile:

3 Likes

somthing the game doesnt tell you is that the old SR system exists in the back ground.

the reason that matters is because bronze in ow1 was about 1499~sr total, from 1 to 1499. but the divisions in ow2 only represent 100sr each SO bronze 5 is 1-1099.

so if your at 600sr and you win 5, you might be 700sr now but you are still bronze 5. bronze 4 starts at 1100sr.

there is no way to know what your hidden sr is exactly, you can only know what your rank icon is at.

(this technically exists in GM, because gm1 is 4400sr to 5000sr but top 500 atleast gives some idea for whose at the top)

2 Likes

I’m sure that components of the SR system is still being used as a framework for the subdivision system, but the issue is with rank adjustment not rank placement. Having a tangible numerical value and having it be updated after every game provides a level of clarity the subdivision system will never have. The problem these players describe is in the ambiguity of rank adjustment, which leads to the sentiment of unfairness. There are no shortage of horror stories regarding players who deranked despite going on winstreaks, as wins and losses are the only factors considered in rank adjustment following the Season 3 update, and vice versa.

technically what they are describing is “i won 5 but i still bronze 5 AAAA it still bugged” which i then explain why it happens.

i cant say weather or not people are deranking going 5-0 because its never happened to me. i do know that in season 3 when mmr/sr were seperated this could happen if you lost certain matches. but in season 4 the only time that could happen is if they hadnt done their first set of wins yet (and for some reason their shown rank was somehow lowered in the background by blizzard)

season 4 messed up peoples shown rank, for most people it deranked them but its possible it also raised it and something blizzard did in the background lowered the number to where it should be. but i would assume this isnt what people are claiming is happening because otherwise they’d be stupid.

according to blizzard this doesnt matter. your stats in game do not effect your sr/mmr gains, only wins do.

1 Like

Agreed, assuming the subdivision truly is just a more hidden version of the SR system, it is entirely possible to remain in the same subdivision assuming the equivalent net SR change is below 100 SR. However, this is under the assumption that ranks are being adjusted at all, of which there have been several separate bugs in the past that prevented ranks from being adjusted. Given the ambiguity of the subdivision system compared to the SR system, it may very well be the case that these players are experiencing one of or a new manifestation of a rank adjustment bug, hence all the claims of an adjustment bug in his thread. You can read more about those in the posts listed in the megathread under the subcategory: Incorrect Rank Adjustment: The Competitive Bugs Megathread.

Thanks for catching that, I’ve updated my previous post to be a more accurate.

it was in season 1 for certain because people requested their data from blizzard to see what SR rank 1 was (at the time it was 5000, 2-3 people were capped).

to the best i can tell they basically took the SR system and rebuilt it in the new engine but decided to hide the SR so people would stop focusing on the number.

the funny part though is that players then focus on the icon and the update page and you get funny things like a 100sr player needing to win a bunch of games in a row to finally hit bronze 4 and being confused and calling the system broken.

which is why the 5-0 derank only makes sense if your background SR was lowered by something.

to be fair they did decay things at the start then reverse it and if you were there for the decay before they fixed it you had to play 5 games to see your “true” rank again.

but how someone would derank like that is beyond me and tbh part of me doesnt even believe it. id have to see a video of it happening to multiple people before id really believe it cuz thus far all ive seen were pictures of 5-0 and a rank and people going “SEE”.

edit:
actually heres a thought: there was or is a bug where if you disconnect from a match it does something that causes you to be able to climb even with a negative ratio. what if that bug is only temporary and it eventually catches up to people

so someone goes 5-12 but shoots from gold 5 to gold 1 then they go 5-0 later on and it drops em from gold 1 to gold 4 or something like that.

1 Like

That is fascinating, I never even knew about that, but its good to have my suspicions finally confirmed.

That is also interesting, I haven’t been monitoring the bug forums too closely recently, so could you leave a link to one of those posts? If there truly is yet another rank adjustment bug, I’ll be sure to add it to the megathread as well.

took me a second to find this. the reason it didnt show up in the bug section is because people were talking about it in competitive.

this thread seems to be the one where ppl are asking questions BUT

https://www.reddit.com/r/Overwatch/comments/13aznyn/comment/jj9jo5y/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=android_app&utm_name=androidcss&utm_term=1&utm_content=share_button

this was posted on reddit around the same time and it has people talking about it more indepth.

i do think there was a bug report post but i never typed in that one so this is the best i could find for you.

1 Like

Leave it to Blizzard to figure out a way to demote players who go on winstreaks and promote players for disconnecting from matches. I wish I were surprised. And thanks for your responses and for the link, which I’ve included to the megathread under: Incorrect Rank Adjustment.

For any other players in this thread who are experiencing rank adjustment issues, I’d highly encourage you to read through that megathread for solutions, or at the very least, to bump up posts related to your issue so that it can be more quickly resolved.

weirdest part to me is that they could be the exact same problem just opposite ends (one causes the other)

part of me wants to test it but the other part is too lazy to play like 20 matches on an alt

1 Like

That sounds interesting, could you explain what you’re theorizing here?

Normally, I’m against the idea of smurfing on the basis of principle, and besides, I’m sure there’s a Dev or Devs currently testing this already as well. That being said, I am very curious about this bug, so if you do conduct this little experiment and happen to come across an interesting result, do feel free to let us know…

well if its a bug of some sort it potentially could be purely visual right.

so you go 5-10 or something but because you DC’d you climb but then you go 5-0 right after and you derank because the upgrade was fake.

1 Like

I think this is the main question of this hypothetical. Supposedly after the visual rank and MMR sync change at the start of Season 4, these two should always be the same but we have no idea of what mechanism is used to ensure that. If it was changed so that visual rank and MMR always matches each other, a bug with the sync would explain that scenario, but if it was changed so that visual rank was removed and replaced by MMR, then this shouldn’t be possible. In that case, I suppose the experiment you described would be a good way of testing this.

its not exactly that complicated how they’d tie em to together because they did that in ow1.

there are 4 things at work here.

1. hidden mmr
  2. hidden sr
  3. “uncertainty factor”
  4. the visible icon

in season’s 1 to 3, the hidden mmr and hidden sr could be different numbers which obviously caused massive confusion while the icon is purely cosmetic.

the promo page is just an update on where your rank is supposed to be at.

so even though in season 4, mmr and sr are the same, its possible the promo page bugs out if you DC for some reason and it instead shows you ranking up when the reality is that your hidden sr/mmr went down.

this isnt even that odd of a concept because it was already bugged out during season 3. if you deranked from lets say plat 5 to gold 1, it wouldnt show the plat 5, it would show you rank up from gold 2 to gold 1. (which is fixed now)

so there is a precedence for the promo page to act funny and not show the right information.

1 Like

I’m still stuck in this bug :cry: someone at blizzard pls help me

1 Like

I’m stuck in bronze 5 for weeks, no matter how many games I won… it’s frustating !

1 Like

Do we have an update in regards to this issue!! I have won well over 40 games and my average is 5 wins to 2 losses and I have not moved up from B5! I am easily a silver/gold support and this is getting so incredibly frustrating! My % for the rank i.e " you are ranked 78% higher then others in this rank" goes up and down but 0 movement not even do B4 or anything!

2 Likes

Still nothing. I went 5 and 0 and put on an absolute clinic every match and was awarded with another bronze 5 ranking. I was in the 90s on the percentage, I don’t remember the exact number but it was really high. #Bronze5 RIP

2 Likes

I’ve had the same issue since S4 and it just won’t change. I am hard stuck bronze, I keep getting the message “You’re ranked higher than x% of players in this division.” I ranked last a couple of minutes ago, 5 wins - 2 loses. Still bronze 5. It’s honestly demoralizing because this issue doesn’t seem to happen on other roles, only on support. It would be nice to get rewarded for the actual effort we all put in trying to rank. And as a solo queue player, it’s even harder to find good teams that actually work together.

1 Like