Fix arcade or delete it

It kinda does though. How do gold players with terrible game sense match up against diamonds? The answer is they don’t. Whats’ the point of skill tiers if they mix and match constantly outside of competitive?

1 Like

Mystery heroes doesn’t change as often because when Blizz did a poll asking the forums their favorite arcade mode, MH was by far the winner. So it stays in even though I prefer more balanced game modes like CTF and 3v3. People treat arcade mode casually so ofc the most casual modes are going to be popular.

Your going to have to link that because I never saw it and the fact they actually had to make “nerfs” for lack of a better word to mystery heroes it really doesn’t match what you say.

Not all gold players have terrible game sense. Again even if someone is diamond in MH, he may never get the heroes that got him to that point. And the gold players may get their best. Again MH is an unbalanced crapshoot but not because of the players but because it’s literally rng hero selection. I don’t like the mode. But I wouldn’t waste time balancing it.

Here you go

Okay this argument is seriously stupid, your right but that don’t mean they can kill that diamond widow across the map in one shot without getting blitzed by the enemy team

First not all diamond widows are good. Secondly, if the diamond never gets widow or a dps (and they’re a dps main) they become less effective. Again mystery heroes is meant to be a crap shoot; which is why it’s ok for it to feature people of different SRs.

Yes they do. Mystery heroes is probably the best mode to evaluate a players game knowledge and flexibility. You don’t need to know how to play every hero or get your main to win a game of MH. You just need to understand OW on a fundamental level.

This is why matchmaking should be better balanced. I can’t win games against diamond/platinum teams with two golds on my team running around like toddlers that need to wear helmets all day…

Matchmaking does matter. In any mode. If you take a bronze player and give him a hero he doesn’t know how to play and compare it to a GM with a hero he barely plays, it’s still a massive difference. Players should never face players several ranks above them, regardless of the mode.

As for the defeat screens… You said it yourself; it’s annoying. Why in the bloody hell would you leave something annoying in a mode that is supposed to be for fun? Just don’t backfill matches players into matches that a already over. Also, 400 xp… lol… Like that matters even a tiny bit.

And Mystery Heroes might be an unbalanced mode, but that doesn’t mean it has to be a dumb mode to play. It’s one of the reasons you see players leave time after time, because it’s pointless to continue a match you cannot win. Right now, Mystery Heroes can either be great fun, because both teams get weird comps or a completely one-sided mess of a game, because one side gets a stomp comp.

Once again, the modes are meant to be for fun. Neither roflstomping the enemy or getting stomped because of RNG is fun. Sure Mysery heroes is inherently unbalanced, but that doesn’t mean you can’t take out the parts which can and will ruin entire matches. Having fought all the way through Rialto in a fun and random as hell match, only to find the enemy with 3 Orisas camping the payload at the end… GG kthxbye.

As for the poll… That just gives us the information that it’s the most liked mode by the people on the forums. I don’t see anything there that prevents them from improving upon it to make it even better.

2 Likes

Mystery heroes is the second worst game mode to check someone’s skill after Total Mayhem. Team comp is super important in OW so having random team comps is less effective than if the enemy team happened to run goats. Also i think it’s stupid to evaluate someone’s skill based on playing their least played heroes as it will effect how they play the game.

Knowing a hero and having an effective team comp is a lot more important than raw mechanical skill. Which is why in MH if a team lucks into a good comp they can often roll.

I suspect it’s because there aren’t that many masters and grand masters who will really play in the arcade, so it pulls up random people to get you into a game. It also depends how high or low you are in masters. Some of those golds might have been plat at some point as well.

If it were bronzes and silvers, then yeah, that’s pretty bad.

I’m high masters. Most of the time I’ll get 2100-2300 golds. Usually two of them with the rest of my teams (on average) being 1 diamond and 2 mid platinum at best. I’ll usually face 2-3 diamonds with 3-4 mid-high plats.

Started getting silvers this last month. I guess my win rate was too high even when I was getting saddled with golds so…

It sucks because it genuinely feels like the matchmaker is actively punishing me for being good at the game. This happens even in QP and is the reason why I’ve pretty much stopped playing OW. I can’t enjoy the game with this kind of MM.

Mystery heroes will always be unbalanced because of how the mode works. If you’re playing it seriously to win, I think your doing the entire mode wrong. I think as long as you play it like you would if you were drinking with friends, it’s fine.

Again the defeat sceeen is annoying. It doesn’t ruin the entire fun of arcade.

On that note, I think this is the difference in opinion over arcade. I understand arcade is not good practice and I think it’s more of another way to enjoy/play ow. If I run into a defeat screen, gg go next. If I get rolled in MH, gg go next. If I run into cheese, gg go next. Try to win in arcade, but don’t focus on winning in arcade, especially mystery heroes. It’ll just piss you off.

The only fix I would would make to arcade, is to make 4v4 a permanent resident.

First of, playing seriously to win is how I play any game. Playing it otherwise is simply not fun for me. That doesn’t mean I can’t have fun with random comps. the fun simply stops when there’s 0 chance to win unless you literally go in as a coordinated 6-stack.

As for the defeat screen, I never said it ‘ruins the entire fun of arcade’. I said it would be a quality of life change. :slight_smile: I just don’t see why annoying aspects of a game cannot be fixed/changed.

And yes, I agree that we have a different mindset about arcade. In fact, I think we disagree on the way we play games. Period. I play to win. Winning is fun. Or at least trying to win without that goal being made completely impossible to be achieved, is fun. I don’t play to get my backside handed to me on a silver platter by RNG without a chance of fighting back properly.

1 Like