First time buying a gaming headset. Suggestions? (THANK YOU FOR ALL OF THE RESPONSES!)

Lol. Which headset is that though?

The original headset earpads may not be replaceable, or it can be unreasonably expensive…

There are some disposable earpad covers available in amazon (search for “headphone disposable sanity covers”) I personally use them everyday because I am allergic to latex/earpad materials. (Get the black ones if you don’t want the OCD look…)

Back to headset choices: If you are satisfied with the overwatch built-in Atmos system, you can simple get any decent stereo headphones without any gaming surround sound. (Overwatch) Atmos is for simple stereo headphone…

For mic, Yeti mic is the best i found for the quality in the price range (amazon sale price at $89 once every couple of months). its built is rock solid, and has amazing sound quality. The only down side is: that mic is heavy and big!

1 Like

Thanks for the reply, Arthur. I am certain that Egg or any others who are considering the Cloud 2s would find this information useful.

I would add that i totally agree that finding replacement ear pads can be an adventure in and of itself, and a potentially (very) expensive one. I bought a pair of Grado SR80 back in 2009/10 and the ear pads were worn out after a couple of years. I could not find any replacements readily and the importer were selling them at USD40-45 per pair! Now of course, with online shopping as ubiquitous and Grado finally having a service station in Singapore, i can get earpads for under USD15.

Meanwhile, the authentic replacement earpads for my Razer Thresher 7.1 would cost me over USD30 per pair inc. of shipping.

Personally, i use a discreet sound card and have been doing so since 2008. This combined with the Razer Surround Pro software which i received for free in 2012 and the Razer Thresher 7.1 and Razer Nommo which i have, is kinda ok, i guess. I am not overly fussy about sound and am just a very casual OW gamer.

However, i am sure that others would take your advice about the in game surround sound drivers to heart as well as the Yeti mic, which sounds great.
I am including a link here for easy reference:

I could probably look into a sound card later on. Thanks, Arthur. I’m not investing into a seperate mic at the moment, but maybe later.

1 Like

A couple of soundcards for reference when you are ready for the next step:

Only USD99, so it is about CAD128.

There is another bundle which comes with a separate headphone, mic and speaker dongle with volume dial.

Once you go discreet sound card or a DAC, Egg, you would never ever go back to onboard audio. I was skeptical but am a believer for the past 10-11 years after i got my first sound card. =D

I have the cloud 2 and people always say my voice is too low. I can only use the card to raise it, not my in pc settings, and I dont think it helps much. I love the headset but the volume control for your voice blows in some ways. People have me maxed in discord, I have my settings maxed in discord.

Thanks. I still don’t get what a sound card actually does. Whats the point of it?

Hey Egg! How are you doing, buddy? Hope that all is well with you and yours.

Good question. I think that the best way to explain the difference is this.
Currently Intel and AMD CPUs are able to output graphics as can your GPU.
However, the quality of the graphics output by the CPU are of a lower quality than the GPU. Still serviceable but really, not quite as good.

That would be the primary difference between onboard sound chips versus discreet sound cards (with their own processors and transistors as well as their own power source from the PCIE slot) and DACs.

This video is pretty good for an explanation.

As a caveat, i would say that it is more a Quality of Life change than an actual necessity when it comes to onboard sound chips vs discreet sound cards / DACs.
One can totally live his life out using nothing but onboard sound for gaming / multimedia viewing.

Cheapo headsets are actually pretty high quality, or maybe I got lucky.
I have a Nubwo V2 and I absolutely love it but as with mice it is personal preference.

Astro A10’s. Awesome sound & great mic. They have the same speakers and I believe mic in it that their $ 250.00+ set has. All for $59.99. I own them and highly recommend them. No need to blow a huge amount. They are basically indestructible too. Go check some reviews. I got mine at Best Buy. Not much cheaper anywhere online.

I’ll check them out. Is there any chance you would have any insight on the cloud 2s?