First time buying a gaming headset. Suggestions? (THANK YOU FOR ALL OF THE RESPONSES!)

READ FIRST

THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR THE COMMENTS

I’m probably going to get the HyperX Cloud 2s, because I’m currently sharing my PC with my brother, for gaming. I’ll get more into a better headset when I got my own PC.

You guys think that’s a good idea?

Many years ago I went on that same quest ignoring everything I read on the internet about the topic because I wanted to see for myself.

Started with some wireless Logitech headset onto the Psyko 5.1 and then to the Tiamat 7.1 and finally my current set the ATH-AD700x stereo 2.0.

Hands down the Ad700x headphones had the best positional audio and sounded the best even though it lacks a lot of bass. The 7.1 stuff in headphones just isn’t worth it and can be achieved using virtual surround on a 2.0 set. 7.1 is great if you buy actual speakers, which is what I ended up doing but don’t use em anymore cuz it takes up too much space.

If your budget is a hard 100euros then I dunno what I can rec. but the stereo vs 7.1 still applies.

So back to your question, I’d rec the AD700x if you plan on being competitive and it’s also within your price range. $99 USD on amazon.(dunno how much that is in euros)

For mic get something you can sit on your desk or something that can go in an arm stand. If you want a more headset like experience you can grab something like the modmic but it has issues with the 700. I bought the modmic 5? when I first got the set but the sticky crap that attaches the mic to the set wears off quickly, the mic didn’t reach my mouth making it harder to hear me and storing it was a pain.

surround is better than stereo (at least from the little bit I’ve had contact with 7.1). Stereo has just left and right, surround means you can hear, well, your surroundings. Some stereo have a “virtual surround”. From what I can tell it never beats actual 7.1 surround. But that’s just some things I’ve read, not a whole lot. I’d recommend going to amazon and searching for stuff like “7.1 gaming headset PC” and looking through them. Make sure if you’re going for 7.1 make sure it’s not virtual surround.

I guess as others have said though virtual surround might just be fine.

Don’t buy gaming headsets, they’re overpriced crap.

8 Likes

Stereo. Don’t need surround.
Most of which is simulated anyway and gaming peripherals are overpriced.
They do exactly the same as a non-gamer marketed peripheral.

My budget is around maybe 100-135 Canadian, not euros. I’ll look those up. I can’t really get a seperate mic, I’d prefer it having the mic.

How can headphone “surround” sound make any logical sense? They have two speakers and you have two ears. There is only two directions the sound can come from.

It’s virtual surround, not true surround, and it’s all personal preference. I use the HyperX Cloud 2’s, and have for a couple years now, and it’s still kicking.

Anyways, I personally like surround because it just sounds better, and sounds are easier to distinguish.

There’s no reason to pay extra for surround compatibility if you’re using them for Overwatch. It has a Dolby Atmos toggle right in the options menu, which only requires stereo.

1 Like

In-game Emulated surround for stereo headphones is actually more accurate than using “surround” headphones.

Most GM’s I know use stereo headset with ingame emulation, if that gives you any indication

i liked my razor kraken very much… it broke after some years and then i got a corsair headset (dont buy it… it was rubbish)… now i have steelseries wireless and iam more than happy.

Any reccomendations? And what do you mean by emulation?

if you still have budget left get a modmic

some have more than one speaker per side.

Id invest in some high quality headphones and microphone instead of a gimmicky headset.

Personally I use audio technica m50x headphones.

1 Like

Yea, but if I got a mic, I would be forced to get a cheaper headset. I heard a lot of talk about a modmic. Is that good? And what headset!

Darn it you made me look up a bunch of headphones now I’m looking at getting one :laughing:

Anyways this is the one I liked the most out of what I looked for. I think this is the Canadian version of Amazon (just .ca instead of .com and it shows Canadian $ instead) but here’s Razer Kraken 7.1 V2: 7.1 Surround Sound
It’s virtual surround but from what I’ve researched those tend to have a better quality per speaker because there’s fewer than ones with more speakers so they tend to sound better than others. This one in particular has an especially powerful drivers so the sound should be even better than normal. You need Razer Synapse to control the surround sound but it’s just a free program by them.

Also it’s supposed to have a decent mic attached.

It’s about $40 over your budget but it’s one of those things were it might be worth it to go that little extra.

I would put that 100 bucks to a really good sound card.
It makes the world of difference.

1 Like

Modern audio chips on mainboards are fine.

Yea, I was actually looking at that. I couldn’t decide whether I should get this, or the HyperX Cloud 2, which is also really nice. Search up a 7.1 test on youtube, and you can actually hear it, with stero. 7.1 seems echoey, almost as if you are in a bathroom. Or, I could get a headset, with a mic, such as a modmic. So much to choose from! :neutral_face: