First time buying a gaming headset. Suggestions? (THANK YOU FOR ALL OF THE RESPONSES!)

I have a Corsair Void Wireless, and can only say that I really like it when it works. It’s one of those headsets with its own driver and auxiliary program, meaning you have a lot of control over the sound you get, with a toggle for stereo vs. Dolby surround (makes a big difference IMO) and EQ sliders.

Downside is that having its own driver and program means it has a boot time and can crash. Yes, your headset can crash independently of your computer and you have to restart it and the program potentially while in the middle of a game. For this reason I would not personally buy it again, but as I said, 99% of the time it works fine and has a ton of audio features to play with, not to mention a battery that lasts all day and solid range throughout my apartment.

I got the HyperX Cloud 2. I had heard good things, and some bad reviews of the Razer models cinched the deal.

So far it’s been good. Decent build, fairly comfortable (I have large ears).
Friends say mic quality is excellent (I.e., they can hear me).

Before that I used a desk mic and speakers.

Yes, having their own drivers and software can be an issue due to memory leakage and incompatibility with other software running the background.

That is why it is often advised to monitor the RAM usage when possible as well as have as little background software running when working or gaming seriously.

That is why i stick to just one platform as much as i can, in this case it would be Razer because i have been using it since 2006.

1 Like

What about the mic quality, is it good? And silenthill, I wouldn’t mind it at all if you linked this i think that’s a great idea!

1 Like

Thanks, Egg. Linking. =)

Ok, this is the thread.
Hopefully, peeps would post their rigs or peripherals or settings in game or even all 3. I think that it may become a good guide for the community as we build up a database, of sorts.
I mean, Steam does hardware surveys regularly and the data can be very useful.

I haven’t listened to myself, but according to the people I play with, the mic quality is good.

Cool. And damn, nice specs! I got a 1060, i5 8400, that stuff.

1 Like

I just recently got some new gaming headphones after a long search.
For me the number one thing was comfort. Having headphones hurt after wearing them for a while wasnt an option for me. Comfort and of course they have to have pretty good sound as well. These were my top choices.

Hyperx cloud Alphas or II
Steelseries Arctic’s 3,5, or 7’s
Razer Kraken pro v.2
Corsair HS60 9r 50’s
Creative Sounds Blaster X H7 (7.1) or H5 (not 7.1)

I ended up going with the Creative Sound blasterX H7
It was the most comfortable for me out of all the other ones I tried. The sound is really good and the mic is decent and it has 7.1 if I want it. I can also turn it off.
2nd place for me would probably be the hyperx Alphas or II’s.

PS. All the ones I listed are very comfortable I just went with the one that work for me the best for my head size, and also that sounded pretty good.

Nice. My final choice is the cloud 2s, but I’ll definitely look into it!

1 Like

Thanks, Egg. My motherboard and CPU are more than 5 years old, actually. So they could be considered kind of obsolete. My soundcard is like 11 years old! Haha! :rofl:

I only bought the GTX 1080, which is 2nd hand, because of the new (second) monitor only because i wanted to play with Render Scale at 100% instead of 75% with my GTX 970, which is not as good as your GTX 1060.

So what that means is that technically, you can game with a 34" monitor with your GTX 1060 at ~120fps if you tweak the graphics settings a little.
Which also means that at any resolution less than 3440x1440, a GTX 1060 (or a GTX 970) can run the game at ~120fps and more. Anyone can make that conclusion if they look at the specs and settings of the community.

Hopefully, the database would just build.

Cool. Im currently waiting for a sale for the clouds, because the place I’m buying them from, where I got the parts, beet the price of any item if you can find a cheaper price. I’m watching Amazon Canada, Newegg Canada, and Bestbuy Canada. Know any other online places?

And this goes for everyone, this whole community. I’m quite new to these forums, and I’ve found that everyone on here is very suppportive, and helpful. Alothough I’ve already said it, THANK YOU to every single one of you, and I really look forward to comimg back here! :wink:

1 Like

I have an Onikuma headset I bought for like 25 dollars last Christmas on Amazon. It’s 5 star rated. It is handsdown the best headset I’ve ever owned. ITS 25 DOLLARS. Microphone works wonderful. It’s got soft cushions for your head ears and top. It’s got a rugged heavy cloth stitched wrapping around the cord so IT WILL NEVER BREAK. How rugged and durable is this headset? It’s been on my 18 wheeler for 8 months. How good is the sound? 6 months of directional tested PUBG footsteps.
What a headset.

It’s as if you are selling his headset, like you made it. Lol, I’ll check it out.

HyperX seems to be durable. I break headsets like they’re going out of style and I’ve had the one that I bought for over 9months. (I have literally never had a headset this long without something breaking and I’ve had a lot of headsets over the last few decades of gaming.)

The one thing I don’t know much about is the mic on it. How is the mic?

In your part of the world, NewEgg is probably the best for online shopping of electronics. You could try ebay although it can be a little dodgy sometimes. Look for sellers whose reputation is good.

On top of that, if you think that you would likely upgrade in a year or so, you could consider a second hand Cloud 2. Just buy replacement earpads due to hygiene reasons. The savings you can get off that can be put into your own rig or a next set of headphones.

Egg, i think that we are all glad to be of assistance. The forums can be a very dark and foreboding place full of pessimism and rants. I am just happy that you have not been affected by it.

This is interesting. Which headsets have you used and how do you typically handle them?

It is good for reference, no hidden agenda.

Thank you. In a year or so, I’m not just going to stop using the headset, I’m most likely goimg to give it to my brother, or use it myself. When we get another PC, I’m going to get another headset so I have my own.

Then maybe consider second hand because it is not likely to last and your brother may want to get his own shortly after you hand it down to him.

P.S. “Last” as in continued usage by you.