First time buying a gaming headset. Suggestions? (THANK YOU FOR ALL OF THE RESPONSES!)

How? If we could hear it we would just download better headphones right?

I used to think this, until I heard the difference. It’s seriously is night and day.

1 Like

I have a pair of virtual surround headphones right now and I think they’re okay. I’d still like to get a better pair but they don’t really sound echoey to me.
I have this pair right now:
SADES A60/OMG Gaming Headset Headphone
It’s like a middle of the road pair. They’re pretty cheap but they don’t suck completely. I don’t like the mic though I think it’s bad. I got a Rode NT USB mic (really high quality desk mic) to use instead because I make some Overwatch YouTube videos and just by hearing the recordings I could tell how bad the headset mic sounded.

Hm well I’m not sure about that to be honest, I just read it multiple times. I’m using a extern audio interface and currently there’s no way to connect my speakers directly to the PC, otherwise I could just test it by myself :smiley:

True surround isn’t possible with headset, it’s a software thing. You can actually get software that will give you surround.

I have Skull Candy Crushers. They’re wireless, bluetooth (input/output), feel great to wear, and have base adjustment. Honestly, I couldn’t recommend them enough.

You’ll need to buy a soundcard if you buy the tiamat

I use this: https://www.amazon.com/Blaster-Performance-Headphone-Forming-Microphone/dp/B009ISU33E

and it’s pretty incredible with my HyperX headset. Everything is CRYSTAL CLEAR. I honestly can never go back to motherboard audio.

1 Like

What is a Tiamat? …

My bad thought the guy linked the Razer Tiamat but it was the Kraken instead.

1 Like

I don’t know about all the technicalities, but just be mindful of the “name brand” crap. It’s overpriced and usually … well, crap. The second worst headset I ever owned was an $80 pair of Turtle Beach headphones. And the worst set was…

The official Overwatch Razor headset (the one sold in the Blizzard gear store for like $110). It was seriously the worst headset I’ve ever owned. A $20 Walmart set was literally better than that piece of crap.

The sound quality was alright, but the mic quality was terrible, and it’d cut out randomly. I could not fix it, tried everything. I eventually just bought a $10 desk mic and stopped using it, but then the top of the headset just fell apart. -_- All this within 4 months of purchase.

So yeah, do NOT buy that crap.

Ahem … anyway. ^_^;; Bit salty over that, sorry. But currently I’m using a $25 headset from Amazon. It’s very durable with good mic quality, but the sound is meh-ish.

Honestly, just shop around and read reviews, and do not be fooled by big name brands. That’s my two cents.

1 Like

Nice, when I look at the reviews you’re actually right, onboard sound is indeed not as good as I thought, that’s interesting. Glad we have our soundcards :slight_smile:

1 Like

Get stereo headphones.

Unless you’re playing games that support 7.1 and you have the audio hardware to support 7.1 (such as a DAC or soundcard at least) there’s no point.

You’ll just have expensive headphones that operate just like your typical $20 ones.

Theres basically no difference in headphones below $200.

They all use similar drivers (40mm) and some have built in eqs but you can achieve the same result with a $20 pair of headphones and your own eq software.

Marketing is a b*tch.

Egg, have you considered Hyper X?
I know it’s a little over your price budget, but I’ve had mine for 2 years and I love em.

https://www.amazon.com/HyperX-Cloud-Gaming-Headset-KHX-HSCP-RD/dp/B00SAYCXWG/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1537316433&sr=1-3&keywords=hyperx+cloud&dpID=514cV6xMKrL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

actually looks like it’s right at your price range.

yes, you are right about dolby atmos.

and No, from my personal experience,
my headset surround sound is WAY BETTER than the OW built-in Atmos.

As a matter of fact, I have it disabled in game.

I trust the reviews. There was a 3 star one but it was simply talking about a minor thing like not having a volume scroll wheel (PC usually has an audio up/down button on the keyboards normally so that’s a non issue) and how the mic had that thing where you could hear yourself while it’s on but I think you can disable that in the sound driver. The rest of the reviews are basically 5 star because it’s awesome or 1 star because they got a bad pair but the overwhelming majority is 5 star.

Well yeah, if you have a surround-capable headset anyway, use that. My point was that you don’t need to buy one for Overwatch, because you can get similar surround quality on a good stereo headset.

It’s true, so long as you have a good sound card, you can make stereo headsets work great.

I’ve been using the same $5 pair of headphones for about 10 years now.

Best investment ever.

No point in getting anything more like I said unless you’re dumping hundreds or thousands in to audio equipment to properly run 5.1+ headphones.

i have done quite a few testing on different “surround sound” headsets, and also compare with the built-in Atmos.

The test is very simple:
with each configuration/headset, go in practice mode, stand at the middle of the area where robots running around, and close your eyes.

Which headset (or builtin Atmos) give you the best idea where the robots are?

Try it yourself…

I got my best answer from there.
(and please dont argue w/ me if you haven’t done the same. )

Those are actually the ones I’m thinkih of buying! Are they good?

1 Like