[Feedback Thread Continued Part III] Mercy Updates - Jan 30, 2018

Sort of exactly like a mix between 1.0 and 2.0. But Mercy is never getting multi-res back. So you never answered my question: What would it take to bring back decision making while not “bothering others” with multi-res?

The problem is the core design of Valkyrie does not alowe it to have more decision making than her base kit already offers. Give it more it becomes OP (must pick status), give it less and it’s balanced, but boring and bland as hell.

The point is that Mercy need’s an Ult which works with her kit and not empowers it. If it’s just empowered, nothing changes about the way you play her. The point of an Ult is that you can make a big play by changing your strategy in a drastic way. Even widow and Sym do that, but not Mercy. Mercy stays the same the entire time.

The end result is that Mercy needs an Ult with instant impact. Like Reinhardt or Lucio. It can be Mass Res (would be the easiest and most balanced solution) but something with an equal impact would be fine.

A Transformation Ult is no fit for Mercy

You don’t need to play smarter, you are way too save, it has no room for the player to improve and it’s boring, bland, not thrilling and uninteresting.

Can you elaborate on that? Because i can have an entire dinner during Valkyrie.

8 Likes

Sure! To begin with, I’ve always had problems playing Mercy because it makes me zone out (IDK, I’m just wired that way). It’s not that she doesn’t need to aim, I really like Rein and Winston, it’s just that I stop paying attention and think about other things. The 3.0 Mercy with only 1 res forces me to pay more attention, 2.0 was better than 1.0 for my attention span, but I could still just bail people out. Valk feels a bit exciting to me because I feel that I have to balance damage boost and chain heal (but I’ve barely played Mercy in comparison).

The majority of the game switching between beams and flying around is where I zone out.

Playing Mercy just isn’t my cup of tea.

To me the issue is single point does not require good positioning by you or your teammates.

I think Rez needs to AOE for it to have the ability to variation through the concept of good positioning = better Rez.

It should be locked within Valkyrie only. The regular “E” could be a burst heal instead that allows you chance to aid two teammates.

Meanwhile Valkyrie loses it chained beams and gains the AOE Rez that has a limited range maybe 12 meter radius (instead of the old 15 m), Rez gets charged during Valkyrie. You can use it early to AOE heal, but then you have to charge it again. If it becomes fully charged and the is used it burst heals the living teammates and revives the teammates in a 12 meter radius around you which then ends Valkyrie.

The counter play to this is to use the charging window beginning with the start of Valkyrie to the potential time it takes to get Rez available maybe 7 secs to charge full, but 4 seconds to charge up to just burst heal.

More like part 8.

Or is it part 9? I’ve lost count.

4 Likes

Jeff said the same thing in one of the previous megathreads on the old forums. He then spoke in a different thread a few days later saying that they don’t want to revert Mercy and that they don’t think she’s unplayable.

Either he was lying, and he didn’t read the feedback, because if he did he would know that balance is/was not a priority for us; or he knew what our complaints were and intentionally ignored them to target a strawman argument that he felt like addressing.

I’m expecting our next developer comments on the topic (assuming there’s going to be one) to follow the same pattern.

• “We’re listening.”
  • “We have no idea what the issue is.”
  • Four months of silence.
  • Repeat.
11 Likes

I think it’s far less the fact that you only have 1 res than the fact that it has a cast time. You just have it every 30s so it can’t be the amount of ress you have. This is something which, as far as i know, was suggested for mass res even before the rework.

You say you barely play Mercy? It’s resonable that you like Valkyrie. It makes everything you can do with her base kit so easy that you are probably just as good as a Mercy player which mastered her kit. I don’t mean that offensive, it just proves my point that Val makes everything easier.

Yea, you do have to like the way how her kit works. It’s far less offensive than the stuff in other FPS games, but this is the reason why i liked her gameplay so much.
You didn’t need to kill or even Dmg anyone to have an impact. That was awesome and she was not just “The healer”, she was more than that, but this is gone thanks to her rework.

1 Like

In regards to Rez? I do not see away to make Rez have more decision making as long as it’s can only effect one teammate because then it can only be used best in one way there’s no better form. (I think it being single target is also poor in decision making because then it doesn’t require you to position well to use it while an AOE does require you to position well to make most use of Rez while you have to consider not getting yourself killed).

I ask you what would it take to make an AOE Rez acceptable?

• Wind up charge during Valkyrie that requires me to keep a beam attached which prevents hiding.
  • Cast time before Rez goes off.
  • Full health not restored.
  • Limited range on the AOE.

lowl they didnt want to allow us to get 20.000

mercy is still a mess

Sh doesnt feel impactful and no i dont want mercy 2.0
I want mercy’s 1.0 impact where you could actually feel powerful once in a while

now all game is mostly same old same old

9 Likes

Oh boy. A new garbage dump to be freshly ignored in.

3 Likes

I’ll also restate this

I want to EARN rez
not get it for free every 30 seconds

That’s why Rez as an ult makes most sense

6 Likes

[quote=“Brawl-2310, post:237, topic:78889, full:true”]
I think it’s far less the fact that you only have 1 res than the fact that it has a cast time. You just have it every 30s so it can’t be the amount of ress you have. This is something which, as far as i know, was suggested for mass res even before the rework.

You say you barely play Mercy? It’s resonable that you like Valkyrie. It makes everything you can do with her base kit so easy that you are probably just as good as a Mercy player which mastered her kit. I don’t mean that offensive, it just proves my point that Val makes everything easier.[/quote]

Yeah maybe. But you could make that argument for Soldier’s tech visor too, I suppose. But Soldier needs to set up properly to get good use of it, Mercy can just fly up to the sky box lol.

How would you change her in a way that doesn’t reintroduce mass res?

I guess that’s a fair point. Right now Rez has such a tax on time that it’s too much to be used in most combat situations since you can’t defend yourself and you can’t do your job as healer. And pressing “E” just goes through the same motion every time that won’t be different.

Maybe a variable Rez that has a cast time for full health, but a lesser cast time for not full health restored? :thinking:

Nothing, really. The reason that it was changed is because it’s not fun to play against, similar to scatter arrow. Papa Jeff seems to agree.

Well, if they res with 1hp, then maybe, just maybe I could be ok with it.

Could I get an AOE burst heal if I end Valkyrie early (no Rez)?

Can Rez provide a burst heal on a living teammate (ie instead of Rezzing a downed teammate)?

Can Rez be varied in the health restored to the teammate Rezzed depend on how long I cast it?

Could you work with that?

This is the point. 76 needs to change his strategy to get perfect use out of Tech Visor and he still needs to think about which hero he will focus. Mercy really is just hug the sky box or a corner and take a nap.

My idea was to shift the power from Mass Res to the mid fight with some other changes to her kit. I just give you my two important points.

Idea for a new E ability: Angelic Ascent

Mercy uses her wings to create a small Aoe knock back around her (no dmg, range: 2.5 m radius). After that she jumps 15m straight into the air. You can bend the trajectory a bit by using W, A, S and D (L Joystick, Max is at 125-145°). It gives Mercy a better overview over the battlefield and increases her survivability and mobility.
CD: 9-11s
Duration: 2s
Cast time: 0.5, Guardian Angel blocked for the Duration (2s), other abilities and movement are not disrupted.

A new E ability. The Mercy player could combine it with GA and AD to get better movement over the battlefield. The small Aoe knock back can also be used to get some environmental kills. A bad side effect would be increased visibility if you use it + a small cast time. It alos helps her to use Her Resurrect properly.

New way for Resurrect (Ult)

Can Resurrect the entire team. It has a limited Los requirement (Only solid objects) and a cast time of ~1.25 s befor the Resurrect and its side effects are used. ~15m radius. All movement abilitys are still available over the ~1.25 s cast time (Melee, Caduceus Blaster, Caduceus Staff blocked for 1.25s). Revived allies start with 100HP and regenerate 350HP with 70HP/s.
If Resurrect hits an ally which is still alive, it regenerates their HP instantly and they get the self heal buff as well (A total of 130 HP/s for one if Mercy is healing as well). Resurrect can heal up to 2050HP max in 5s.
Resurrect can now be used without dead allies and Mercy get’s full health and the 70HP/s for 5s (no invulnerability).
As long as the regeneration lasts, Mercy can’t gain new Ultimate charge.
Dva still get’s her Ult “Call Mech”.
Charge required: 1925 points

The new Resurrect would still be relatively easy to use if you time it right. With the self heal and the full health restore, Mercy can be killed after she uses her Ultimate without making it imposible for her to survive and the cast time adds more counter play to it. However, revived allies will always start with 100HP, which allows to counter it with fast actions as well. The new side effects, instant full HP and HP regeneration for allies which are still alive, could be used in some more strategic ways, you would be encouraged to keep your team alive and Mercy players would have no reason to hide. Overall, this would increase the learning curve of Mercy, while still being easy to pick up for newcomers.

Note: This version of Resurrect might have to much counter play to it and could come out as to weak. However, small changes like invulnerability after the cast, full HP for all teammates or instant cast could help with that. But only ONE of the 3 and not all at the same time.

But the only other thing i can think of, which would still be unique to Mercy in the game, is a Aoe total immunity Ult for something like 2-3 seconds which also has a burst heal.
We talked about that, but it has much potential to be too strong.
With some thinkign we probebly find some other ideas for an non Transformation Ult as well

It was okay for more than a year and Jeff listens way more to the pros than to the community. The result of that is a distorted character which is valuable, but boring as hell for a big part of the Mercy community. That in a game which is supposed to be fun.

9 Likes

Interesting I will give this a closer read once I’m off mobile.

But that’s just the thing. With an ult you build it up by taking action. With the CD as is I could stand in a corner or in spawn, doing nothing and I would still get it.

Rez is powerful and currently unbalanced as an ability because nobody else has something like this.

Other games, like Dirty Bomb have other classes that can. The Bionic Pods and Revive Gun are examples-both can revive fallen allies but are used by different classes.

But again OW teams are just too small to have more than one hero to have that ability.

There MIGHT be some adjustments on the horizon with TP becoming an ability which is the closest thing to another form of rez.

2 Likes

I’ve thought of this before, but one of the things that happen with an AOE Rez is comparable to a card game where you don’t get to choose how many cards are in deck (teammates dead near each other), but you do get to choose how many you pick up. Each card could be good against your opponents, but it’s a gamble on every one. But when you can only pick one card it starts losing its depth of interest because you have no risk control that comes with multiple cards picked, so it becomes less motivating to even take the gamble as the cost for one card goes up.

Anyway that analogy probably needs a “rework” to make it “less frustrating” to maybe understand.

I was going to say something else, but can’t remember what it was. :thinking:

Oh right… Mercy is a high pick because of heal beam and flight that is all (not chained beams, and not Rez).

1 Like

I actually enjoy to play every other support than Mercy, and it does not matter of QP or Ranked.

Her whole kit and that she has to switch to pistols to do any damage at all (herself) just feels unintuitive/unenjoyable to play as! FOR ME!

Her whole kit is just based around staying out of sight of the other team and flying towards safety with her guradian angel ability!

Personally i’d want a full rework like Symmetra and Torbjörn are getting. Which should feel way more engaging to play as like all the other supports!

IF I HAD TO EXPLAIN MERCY IN ONE WORD…

BORING

3 Likes