[Feedback Thread Continued Part III] Mercy Updates - Jan 30, 2018

Lol valk is not one of the worst support ults in the game

1 Like

That Mercy’s ultimate is a ‘poor man’s Zenyatta or Orisa ult’?

4 Likes

I’m tired of this, “Oh your no longer impactful,” resing the right target in a fight could mean the win or lose, if your not then your just being a heal bot.

2 Likes

both mercies, and moiras are offensive

1 Like

Mercy is debatable. Moria definitely not. It’s a healing ult first and foremost. Just because something does damage does not make it an offensive tool. Mercy has a pistol. Guess shes a DPS now.

2 Likes

That’s the point. Only Zen and LUcio have defensive ultimates. Mercy used to have one too, and it was so weak it had to be buffed since launch.

So that’s two ultimates that can (potentially) negate a single DPS ultimate, of which there are many more. They tend to be the slower charging ultimates, and they do a terrible job at protecting from burst damage.

Moira can’t outheal most enemy ults, and her ult doesn’t protect herself. Coalesence is better for initiation, not defense.
Symmetra doesn’t really have a defensive ult. Teleporter doesn’t negate the impact DPS ults have. Shield gen tends not to matter, it doesn’t give enough extra health.
Brigitte’s ult is not a defensive ult.

Valk can’t heal through any DPS (edit sorry) ults either. It is used for initiation and escape. At best, Mercy becomes a spectator as her job becomes easy. At worst, she dies anyway without changing the outcome.

7 Likes

I want her more fun as right now she is meh but she is balanced. Also sorry this went longer than I thought, might be worth reading though.

Her ult is weak, yes but so is Moira’s and while Ana’s is good it fills a different role as an ult. The main healers do not have ults that have the impact of a Zen or Lucio, its just the way it works. If they did have something as good as Trans, why wouldn’t you just run Mercy+Moira? You can do it sometimes (particularly lower down) but if their ults were stronger then why wouldn’t you? The extra healing more than makes up for the dmg drop off.

Rez does feel disgusting, but you have to admit it was stupid OP before. This isn’t the fix I wanted, I liked the resource meter idea that was rolling around (with a few extras I wanted added) but the current way of doing rez is balanced and does avoid some of the complexity of the resource meter.

She does not have the ability to swing fights in her favor or define a fight, but she can really enhance others, almost like she is supporting them. Pharamercy gets a lot of attention, but boosted Widow, Junk Genji and a few others really do define a fight and yes its pretty dull when you’re the Mercy but it’s got a big impact.

Also she has the ability to stop an enemy defining a fight even if she cannot define herself. Widow gets a crucial early pick, you undo that stabilizing the fight. Enemy break through your tank line, you boost the DPS response to stop them exploiting. A dive goes messy and could turn bad, your heals are one of the few things that can recover it.

Balance wise she isn’t just serviceable, she is less complained about by non-Mercy players than ever before and that is good. Fun wise you have a point, she sucks. They way to fix that though without making her OP again is another bug rework, not tuning as you can’t really tune anything up without encountering old problems. The rez mechanic would need to be entirely redone or replaced. The ult probably would too (though I have thought of ways around that but its unlikely they’re things Blizzard would like) if you want to make it more fun. She really is in a good if bland place and unfortunately that’s maybe the best place she 's been in.

3 Likes

I think I’m using a different definition of “defensive” than you are. I’ve always considered an ability defensive if it gives you or the team sustain or healing. Coalasence’s primary use is it’s healing. Shield Gen gives you extra hp and tele acts as a resurrect. The most valuable part of Brigitte’s ult is the armour (sustain). Valkyrie gives Mercy stronger sustain and increases her healing output. Even if some of these ults are primarily initiation abilities, I’ve always thought of them as defensive, since they make your team harder to kill. Sound Barrier is often used for initiation, too. Would you say this is still a defensive ult?

1 Like

I use defensive like I use the word reactive in this case. I.E, it negates the effects of DPS ultimates that are being used.

An ability is not defensive if it gives your team healing, that would be restorative. Defensive abilities stop the damage from happening to begin with, or seriously mitigate the impact of it.

1 Like

Mehᅠᅠᅠᅠᅠᅠᅠᅠᅠᅠᅠᅠᅠᅠᅠᅠᅠᅠᅠᅠᅠ

2 Likes

I would say by your definition of defensive ults (which I like) there are others but not from supports. Dva and Hog can work, so can Rein’s or Sombra’s but with opportunity cost and most space clearance ones like Torb or 76 , even if Zen and Lucio are better at it. If Genji dragon blades you could use trans or just shatter, hack or nuke him.

Main healers would be difficult to balance with this capability as why not just have 2 of them? Zen brings extra dmg and an ult shutdown but if Moira offered an ult shutdown, okay dmg and very good heals (and mobility) why would you pick him over her? Lucio can out dmg Mercy and bring speed, she can massively out heal him, dmg boost and rez. If she could shutdown ults too then there is no real reason to take off-healers in most cases.

I was never one who thought mas rez was a big problem (if they fixed the hide-and-rez issues), whats the real difference between making a great play that Lucio blocks vs one Mercy undoes? The only real one is the duration with her able to rez people who died 10-12 seconds apart, twice as long as Zen or Lucio can protect you. That being said in a no ults version of the game, Mercy or any full healer is objectively better than a off-support they out heal. To balance that role you make their ults better. It’s done throughout the game like Hog is basically better than Zarya most of the time, only her ult far outstrips his, a good Doom or Widow is terrifying but their ults suck and why do you pick Rein over Orisa, because Shatter is better than supercharger. I’m putting it very simply but the principle here is true.

1 Like

“facts”
lol
20 chars

1 Like

Dude sorry to crack your egg open but mercy has always been a low input medium output hero. You press M1 to heal and M2 to boost since her release. In her core nothing changed.

So she ain’t a mess.

Her abilities changed and that’s fine. Multi Rez was low input high value. You liked that? Good. It’s gone.
Res is boring ? Subjective.
She has more mobility than before so shes way better at that and it raises her skill ceiling as well as her Valkyrie management ( Mercy’s that overheal using valk and let the enemy team stabilize instead of boosting the damage of her team so they get more value )

1 Like

I’m fine with Mercy having a low skill-floor, but I stopped playing Overwatch because they lowered Mercy’s skill-ceiling significantly; first with the rework, then even more with the latest nerf. Rez is trivial and so is Valkyrie, and how you move and prioritize your heals are the only factors that differentiate between a good and a bad Mercy player now.

I wish Mercy had a higher skill ceiling and I’d be happy to sacrifice both rez and Valkyrie to get it…

4 Likes

I mean I was a mercy main until the rework (at which point i started flexing more because holy hell it was annoying to have your main changed every week) and she’s at least balanced now.
Yeah, her ult is a little underwhelming, but if it was much stronger she’d get nerfed again pretty fast because people would complain it was too strong, and it probably would be.

People have stopped complaining about how unfun she is to play against, and so blizz is disregarding how unfun she is to actually play.
And I’m not really sure how that could be changed, or if it even can, while keeping her playstyle the same now.

1 Like

She still does the best healing in the game (moira can do more if theres tanks though)

2 Likes

Hope the developers find this fast enough to transfer it to the new Megathread instead of taking up space here.

1 Like

It’d be nice if she could res over an ally no matter how far away (vertically) she is, this way she doesn’t have to be in harm’s way necessarily to res, and works well with her ult.

1 Like

Well, at least the other healers are being played now.

At least Mercy isn’t a must pick.

At least she is balanced and vaible.

Her being fun is subjective. It’s a trickier situation.

1 Like

She fits her role perfectly. The only “let’s make Mercy more fun” proposals I’ve seen are net buffs (which she doesn’t need) or net nerfs (why would you want this)

1 Like