[Feedback Thread Continued] Mercy Updates - Jan 30, 2018

I don’t know, I am sorry I enjoy having a discussion on a discussion board?

You may have discussed it in another thread, which I’ll go read, but you haven’t discussed much other than calling arguments dumb in this thread dude.

A) I’m glad we are in agreement here
B) Hack, trap, stagger kills, hook, body block, spawn camp, etc. And ult economy is definitely something that shouldn’t be discounted. It’s smarter to play that way anyway.
C) Shot down by whom?

1 Like

That’s the point. The counter to her ultimate is planning it. If Mercy’s ultimate doesn’t counter more than one ultimate, you’ve won that fight pretty much definitely.

Jeff Kaplan: “We delayed the ultimate to the end of the animation that Mercy does… it also made the ability feel no as responsive as it once was. We do feel like Mercy’s Resurrection is a little bit powerful right now and we’re trying to tone it down a bit, but we recognize we toned it down in the wrong way.”

They never wanted to add a cast time to it because it was tried and tested and felt awful to use. (Also it was never as powerful as the rework-sayers said it was, on paper rezzing 5 people is strong, but in practice it got countered very often.)

2 Likes

Yep, that basically sums it up. But just for some of the arguments. Others I can’t even bother with because their ridiculousness makes me livid.

B) From what I remember, a lot of the gripes that people had, was that if Mercy was near her team in a fight, there was little you could do to actually prevent her from using her ultimate if she was near her teammates. So while hack, trap, hook, etcs. would prevent her from being alive to use it, it wouldn’t stop her from being able to come back and use instant-resurrect.
C) I remember vaguely it was mostly Mercy mains on the old forums who didn’t like the idea, and I’m sure there were people who didn’t main Mercy who wanted LoS changes. I can’t remember, though. :confused:

Again, reiterating that these aren’t my stances. Just what I recall from the old forums! I am not here to make any points to disagree or agree. :slight_smile: Just sharing what I remember from the forums and its posters before Mercy 2.0 (which opened a massive can of worms lol)

When were the suggestions given? Before the rework was announced?

I think many Mercy players became more flexible in terms of compromise as time has gone on. I am one of them. I want mass rez back in some form or Rez on her ult back in some form, but am willing to try to meet in the middle. We aren’t unreasonable.

I’m not saying they are your points, but providing counter arguments.

1 Like

If I’m recalling correctly, it was before any mention of a possible rework was even made - even before the GamesCon teaser. I remember there was that period where a streamer (I think Seagull) was playing with a developer by him who said they have plans for Mercy. So it was before that even happened.

I think so, too. Especially given how many nerfs back-to-back she has received :confused: Hindsight is 20/20 I suppose.

I like the idea of her still having a rez, I don’t think the mass rez was good gameplay though.

Are people opposed to blizz reverting nerfs (as unlikely as that is)? Being able to rez a player or two quickly with valk seemed like it gave the mercy a similar satisfaction to old rez without it being quite as frustrating to the other team.

People are still complaining about this?

1 Like

many answers, none good

Even if people were onboard, I doubt Blizzard would have listened.

No one is claiming that rez can solo carry 5 potatoes into GM. It is also fact that a good team will need rez less and can get better value of a proactive ultimate.

Valkyrie being long has been a major issue in every iteration.

I have brought up that, in my opinion, Valkyrie being 20 seconds long, allowing so much time to get both instant rezzes off, was a huge problem. I have made the suggestion (more than once) that Valkyrie be reduced in duration to like 8-10 seconds with one added charge, allowing the saved rez, and both being instant in Valkyrie like before. It would give much less time for Mercy to bring people back, and would allow at least some ult countering with the instant rezzes. Mercy can still be killed before she even gets a rez off.

But I’d also remove the chain healing/boosting and give her like 70-80hps on her beam instead. I’d also increase her ult GA speed to like half of what it was before the recent nerfs. Adjust numbers where needed.

I’ve also been tossing around the idea to have Valkyrie have a cast time to activate and have 3 instant charges (or maybe two added and three with the saved one) to be even more like mass rez before. No chain healing, no extra healing. IDK.

All I know for sure is that I hate Valkyrie now, and I want rez back on her ult.

4 Likes

And I’m saying that isn’t true. Good teams can die against good teams. Mercy making good rezzes bolsters her good team.

1 Like

Valkyie’s usefulness comes from not having to babysit your Mercy for 15 seconds, the healing is outdamaged easily.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t be opposed to trying changes along those lines out. And I agree, when valk was 20 seconds that was an insane amount of time.

The current iteration of it just feels so underwhelming.

The duration is still a problem because it dilutes the power of her ult. If it was shorter, the healing could be higher and not be OP.

I personally still wouldn’t like that because it would just be a copy of like four other support ults. Rez made her ult unique.

1 Like

Terrible terrible memories of overwatch players… terrible.

Mercy before her rework… was NOT meta… She was NOT carrying games with her Q. She was NOT invulnerable during Q for 90% of the time she had mass res as an ult. Invulnerable was added because mercy WAS TRASH TIER… with the ult you are all calling OP as crap.

Mass res still to this day is one of the ults that 20% or less were even able to pull off IN THEIR ENTIRE GAME TIME. Me with 80 hours on her at the time got it 2 times…

You are all confusing the year of hell after the mercy rework with how she actually fit into the game originally. Originally she was NOT OP… or even the best healer.

8 Likes

I don’t think it was OP at all, I just don’t think it was a very good gameplay mechanic. I never really asked for it to change (before the rework) largely because even though I personally don’t find it to be great gameplay, it is / was integral to not only her kit, but her character design as well. She needs to be looked at by blizz again, the current state of Mercy isn’t exactly good either as now she is largely not only outperformed by others, but she just feels unsatisfying to play.

If they reduce the time, they can at least have the power be a bit more front loaded. They should also still keep a reason to use rez in ult. Rezing during valk now is just begging for the enemy to kill you which is terrible.

1 Like

Pro teams basically never used Mercy without Pharah and nearly always tempo rezzed. A good rez helps a good team turn things around if things are looking rather poor. A good transcendence stops things from getting to that point in the first place, allowing teammates to do things instead of spending a few seconds being dead, and can be used proactively, instead of having to wait for people to die.

Valk is not a SHTF press Q for impact ult, which perhaps justifies a third rework, but popping it at the beginning of a team fight gives your team a decent advantage in the fight that can’t easily be stalled out. With mass rez you have to wait for people to die in the first place and you and your team don’t have many options before or after.