[Feedback Thread Continued] Mercy Updates - Jan 30, 2018

That was more to do with the other support heroes being stronger not because Valkyrie is a stronger Ultimate than Mass Resurrect (they are about the same in overall power but Mass Rez occurred over a 2.25 second window while Valkyrie is spread over 6 stat changes and a duration of 15 seconds). Reworking the Resurrection Ultimate can resolve its issues such as this way:

Upon her rework her Resurrect range went up from 15 meters to 220 meters not including GA that alone makes it no wonder it that Rez became such an issue with that kind of range.

If the past issues with Mass Rez are addressed then those complaints can go away. LoS on Mass Rez is the most straight forward prevention of Rezzing through walls; Cast time may make it a suicide run to 5-man Rez, but that’s how it should be (big risk for big reward); increasing the Ultimate charge prevents it from coming up to much.

With a “Mini Valkyrie” on “E” that ability can balance out a harder to use, and less available Mass Rez.

She is viable due to her basics which didn’t change and because the other supports are weaker now (except for Moira and Zen).

Valkyrie is fight changer only if teammates make use of it; it’s not Mercy’s game changer that is put to the team to make true.

That is where the fixes to make Rez easier to counter fix the pressure to hide because if the team goes down then going for a 5-man Rez becomes much more likely to fail. Add that the Resurrection Ultimate can benefit living teammates and then there less reason to encourage “hiding” be teammates.

It OK for Resurrection Ultimate to be less likely to be pulled off because “Mini Valkyrie” on “E” fills void between the Core Kit and the Ultimate.

More like QoL change there which I would see no reason to remove.

3 Likes

EXACTLY. I wonder how many people complaining about resurrect in this game get really happy when their Mercy rezzes them, and complains when they can’t?

They’ve made their bed. They can lie in it.

5 Likes

Is really easy to say this when is not a hero you like to play. We are not questioning her viability, but her fun and how her kit currently works. Her E is stronger than her ultimate even toned down with nerfs, because it was designed to be an ultimate. Her pick rate will be high because of her basics, heal and guardian angel, and because she has the most OP cooldown ability. But that doesn’t means people really enjoy her anymore. No hero should be just left because people who once loved him or her are not satisfied, it should be changed.
She’s messed up. And this makes her feel horrible to use.

4 Likes

Something that everyone should seek to do anyway i.e. don’t facecheck enemy Ultimates (unless you have trans to some extent).

That is what’s frustrating. Then Mass Rez is removed and replaced with a cooldown on “E” that is best used in the way that Rez was hated. It feels more like many fit Mercy into the Hero they made her at to be and thereby are happy with the changes to reflect their opinion on her instead of changes to Mass Rez to make it fit towards the better play style of being active. Ergo those comments that she plays the same way now.

It seems that has more to do with some idea that you just don’t want to help your team, so you can get POTG with “Huge Rez!!”. So fix that perception problem by making Rez more counterable than it used to be, but provide that “Mini Valkyrie” to provide utility other than Rez so that Rez can be harder to get.

Then again your suggestion Macster seems to do that better than mine :joy:

2 Likes

Its not playmaking on Mercy its just DMB with less thought.

Here is a good example of a rework:

Spread my idea because it’s the most logical one! :smiley:

For this part, I actually reduced it to 300HP burst healing. Or we would be seeing a really tank heavy composition if it was full HP.

1 Like

First of all, they never said nothing about bringing back any type of rez in addition to other changes like Dva’s rework was (or did someone call that rework a revert to old Dva?).

Wait… what??? Please, explain us how suddenly the pro Mercys are complaining about the fact that Mercy has not skill ceiling and how a so unskilled ez mode like valkirie can raise her skill ceiling, considering that it just allow every bad player to make up his own skills removing all skill taken from her basics. I just want to know how can the impossible be possible.

Pickrates have nothing to do with Mercy being fine. If you think so, you can look at EeveeA’s, Vale’s Star2D2’s or Animetic’s opinion. They are all pro Mercys, they all play current Mercy, but none of them like her.

Funny fact now Mercy hides all the time each 30 seconds in order to single rez and each time she ults during 15 seconds, being unable to save her team at all.

Her new ult just make up your lack of skills to solo heal your team VS saving your team. Mercy before could solo heal her team the same good as valkirie can. The only difference is that now everybody can press Q and have the same results with zero skill.

Also, stop that nonsense of necromancy, Mercy’s lore explain this perfectly. Her Resurrect consists in her launching a bunch of nanobots, a technology that she has mastered, to her teammates in order to heal even their most deadly injuries. Those teammates only really die after some seconds aka respawn time.

Two quotes from Jeff about this matter:
1- We will never add Deathmatch to Overwatch.
(some days later Deathmatch is added to Overwatch)
2- Never say never.

In addition, bringing back some new iteration of mass rez + keeping parts of this kit like bunny hop + bringing her a new E ability =/= revert, the same as Reverting defense matrix + micro missiles added + shooting while flying =/= Dva revert.

How she is more engaging when her basics are the same but her ultimate and her E force her to hide, but her old Q gave you the option to engage or to hide (bad option, but unfairly rewarded by her SR system)?

This works in both ways, and tbh I prefer an ultimate that just had somepeople playing bad habits but could be easy to balance over a redundant ultimate that just make up your skills removing all difficulties to master a character. I prefer good design over bad design. About balance, if they bring back a new mass rez but it’s underpowered, I really played Mercy during seasons 2 and 3. I can live with that.

Sadly yes. Nobody is reading this I think, and nobody will do but the mods. Please, orange post to show I’m wrong…

1 Like

It’s even worse, since the haters are using “she’s fine” and “she’s balanced” as different wording for the same argument.

2 Likes

Revised the post… it was not written with good thoughts in mind. It was a frustration post one of two made here on the forums. But as I’ve mentioned elsewhere here, Mercy is about thoughtful play and I should honor that play with thoughtful posts to that effect. I’ve had to consider my reply to it for a while.

I’ll own up to other one as well:

When your teammates are more a liability DMB doesn’t help much, but that is when I have to find another way to victory or a least try to.

Ho boy, now that’s amusing. By this excellent standard, the perfected form of overwatch would be two teams of genjis duking it out in a featureless white plane. No characters or asymmetry to introduce imbalance, the only factor for victory would be your team’s skill. And yet, that sounds like a garbage game. Balance isn’t the only important thing, having the characters and environments be fun is important too. Additionally, I don’t see too many people praising the reworked mercy, even in the mercy feedback megathread.

12 Likes

Well everyone there is now, and by a well known Mercy hater also:
ht tps://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/overwatch/t/only-bad-mercies-hide-rez/76719?u=almostward-11535

Another day in the big dumpster thread. I just feel SO appreciated as an ex-Mercy player. ._.

No. It was a “main tactic” used by GMs who didn’t deserve to be there because they exploited the SR system to be there. Why do you think there were so many GM+ Mercy players with negative winrates? And I mean REALLY negative? They exploited SR gains to be there.

Since a 5-man Rez netted you 500 fire, if a moron threw multiple games to do this on purpose more than once per match, the Performance SR sees all this fire and thinks the player is “overperforming” compared to actual Mercy players.

Any Mercy players who hid were just really, REALLY bad at Mercy.

6 Likes

What’s interesting about that Redditor is they are an Ana Main.

Almost 20k! Let’s gooo ~

He also said that if the rework went live and it didn’t work out or people hated it that they’d go back. (and the only thing at that time to “go back” to was prior to the rework)

1 Like

Revised it because yeah that would be too much.

1 Like

I think the point is to “Rework the Resurrection Ultimate” not Revert to the old one because a simple Revert doesn’t solve the old issues and only some of the current issues.

Apparently they don’t want to put Rez on a resource system, so instead make it an Ultimate again, but diminish its “success” chances and increase its cost.

Then provide the “E” ability that is better suited to towards a cooldown.

2 Likes

I’m glad we are on the same page this is good! Nobody is asking for a straight up revert. We want Resurrect to be earned again whether that be harder to use in ultimate form we don’t really care as long as it’s earned again. We will figure out ways to learn and adapt we’ve been trained through this whole rework to do so anyways.

1 Like

Instead of go back how about go forward with a more fair Resurrect like this one: