[Feedback Thread Continued] Mercy Updates - Jan 30, 2018

Because people complained about their progress being erased with her ult, and blizz, instead of tweak the ult (give the ult LoS and maybe cast time) just reworked mercy and made mercy a monster, just to be nerfed into a balanced (but not fun one) state AFTER 6 MONTHS.

21 Likes

I think the point of most ults is to cause something, or prevent something (Offensive/Defensive ults). Pharah’s Barrage ult causes a lot of damage, but Lucio’s Sound Barrier gives a lot of temporary health, preventing damage. Every ult in the game fits into one of these categories to some extent. Mercy’s AOE res wasn’t in either of those. It didn’t cause, or prevent. It reversed what happened. It made anything that happened before not matter. This caused teams to die on purpose when they were starting to lose a fight, then Mercy would rez and completely undo the entire fight.

1 Like

I can see why but at the same time strong healing was her whole point if you take away healing from any other support they still will be useful while Mercy won’t. My honest opinion is that they need to either bring her old ult back OR make her ult somewhat useful and maybe change her gun to hit scan or something idk

2 Likes

Blizzard had the bright idea to make her unkillable when she casted the ult. This caused some DPS players to get really miffed when she just flew to her dead teammates and brought them all back to life. This ult also had the major flaw of letting mercy just hide and then rez the team which was frankly way too easy to do

2 Likes

It promoted a hide and mass Rez play. It sucked.

5 Likes

Because of context.

Those ults that can kill a lot of people need a things to call into place to occur- and almost all of them have a LOT of counters or responses, on multiple levels.

Those ults can typically be blocked by shields. Eaten by defense matrix. Absorbed by bubbles. Blocked with ice walls. Reflected with deflect. Etc.

Or simply be avoided during their animations. On and on. There was a lot of options. Still is.

A shield however will not stop a mercy from hitting res

Nor will defense matrix.

Nor will a bubble.

You can run from her, if you want to make it easier.

You can drop a Mei wall. But the ability doesn’t require LoS. So good luck.

This was the problem. You ask damn near any mercy what the counter play to revive was- and basically you’ll get “just kill the mercy”

Which has to be the biggest moral cop out I regularly see on the forums.

Mercy has one of the fastest burst mobility abilities in the game with the longest range to boot.

Guardian angel works from up to 30 meters away and rockets mercy at 20 meters per second.

She can literally be at max range and be on her target in 1.5 seconds.

Even professionals had a hard time “just killing the mercy” at those speeds. Not to mention she didn’t have to be that full distance, as res was generous in range. And again- didn’t need LoS.

And this is on PC where pros have the benefits of using a mouse to aim. Heaven forbid you be using a joystick.

Not to mention she was granted invulnerability the moment she hit Q.

And this is why this argument was BS. Yes you could kill her. But it wasn’t REALLY a “counter”.

The REAL counter to res was controlling when she could / would use it, by focusing mercy at the appropriate time.

See- you didn’t want to kill mercy first.

Because your reward for killing her first, then her team, was her respawning first- coming back, and ressing everyone.

But you don’t want to kill her last. Because you were begging for those big revives.

Instead you wanted to kill 1-2 people, THEN focus her- force her to res 1-2 people or die and get no one.

That was the “counter play”.

Res was a problem because it hugely scripted the fight.

It was painfully unfun in a lot of situations

5 Likes

Oh, I can see it now. But I think most of us will agree that her ult right now is way more useless than any other support’s ult…or any ult at this point

5 Likes

Please. we all know why you made this thread.
And no you are not a new player.

btw old mercies ult didn’t had a counterplay. only thing you could do was killing her.

1 Like

I’d say I’m relatively new. I got the game in November but didnt have much time to play it. I started playing more of Mercy lately and noticed that her ult was kinda bad so I wanted to know why exactly was she nerfed. So I don’t really know what are you trying to say here

1 Like

Ana ult is for starting fight.

Lucio is for surviving a fight.

Mercy was for mistakes were made moments.

Her ultimate wasnt touched for most of games existence.

No issue. Seen as weakest support overall.

The invulnerability buff made her more reliable, but also lead to hide and mercy players abusing her ultimate.

And if an entire team wasted multiple ults, including aoe wiping ults, then they SHOULD be punished for not making sure a mercy was killed in or before them.

Their “not fun” mentality only effects a few heroes while the most “in fun to play against” is ignored.

Blizz hates mercy.
They catered to the masses instead of working on fixing an abused mechanic

14 Likes

So the fact that the only way to stop a mercy from rezing was only killing her means nothing? Her movement is crazy, focusing on one healer is much easier for all but what mercy was a lot harder.

It definitely didn’t need removing, just reworked. Give people a way round it, In terms of “wasted ults” and “punishing” them - there are a lot of different ranks to consider not just the one you are at, how well could a bronze player stop a mercy, that ult was very difficult for bronze players to counter making the game not fun for them. There are a whole pool of different levels of skill in each game.

1 Like

No matter the DPS ult ,it has a counter.

Mercy’s counter was “just play hide and seek and click on her lol”

because it turned into a mini-game of the mercy hiding in a corner and telling her team to die on the point and then having the enemy blow their ults and fly in and rez. it was not engaging gameplay for anyone

She didn’t undo a fight. She was part of it and people didn’t account for her. There is a difference. She just continued the fight. Her ult was just the opposite of Zen and Lucio’s.

3 Likes

The reason it’s like that is because rather than use the megathread for suggesting good balance changes, the revert Mercy crowd clogged it with themselves and drowned out useful feed back. That left the only feedback coming from people who may not have had the best intentions from her.

False. It was just unconventional counterplay.

1 Like

Did you even bother for 10 minutes to read the responses in ANY of the mega threads?? There have been TONS of suggestions given in every single one. I’ve given plenty myself, along with constructive feedback. But there are only so many times you can say something.

1 Like

Don’t forget that their flawed SR system that they took ages to fix encouraged mass rez. Even though we all know hiding to rez was rare. And for whatever reason, finding cover from ults was considered hiding from anyone not paying attention.

3 Likes

Hide and res came more from the SR exploit that allowed players to gain much higher amounts of SR by letting your team die and then mass resurrecting them.

Instead of fixing the SR exploit, they went on a journey of discovery and failure.

4 Likes

It was horrible, horrible time to play as Mercy, when her old ult existed, because you were forced to hide with your ult ready, let teammates die and THEN swoop in and resurrect them. God forbid, if you tried to heal your teammates, when enemy team decided to push. You were yelled at for being an idiot that doesn’t know when to hide. “Let us die on a pile and then resurrect us, when they have wasted their ults.”
Jesus Christ, I absolutely hated with passion that kind of forced gameplay. R.I.P. old Mercy ult and never, ever come back…