Since the recent Overwatch Reaper - Code of Violence update (Version: 188.8.131.52.94236) - 23.02.2022 Europe my in-game sound has changed dramatically.
I already noticed the change of the sound after starting it. The whole game got a lot quieter. Additionally surround sound isn’t working anymore (at least it feels like it) and I’m not allowed to choose the “Playback Device” anymore. The Playback Device only shows “Default” and nothing else.
Issue since OW Reaper - Code of Violence:
- Game Sound quiet and surround sound not working - horrible dull sound cues
- Playback Device only shows “Default” & not all of my available Playback Devices
Following is a pic of the OW settings:
https:// imgur .com/a/D6tatOw
(remove space to open picture of the OW Audio settings)
What I’ve tried:
- Sound works fine in other games (like WoW)
- Reinstall Strix Sound Card driver
- Reinstall Overwatch (tried 2 different SSDs)
- Reset in-game settings through Battle.net Launcher
- Changing Sound settings in Windows and OW
I’ve played the day before and minutes/hours before the recent OW Patch Reaper - Code of Violence went live. Everything was good and the sound worked perfectly fine. Immediately after updating the game, the issue appeared.
Referring to the Bug Report Thread: [Feb 22, 2022 Patch: No Surround Sound, Dull Sound Cues Issue]
This is an issue that appeared due to the recent Reaper - Code of Violence Update.
Similarities to the recent Technical Support post about [Overwtch Crashes since February 22, 2022 Patch].
@Drakuloth (Technical Forum Agent) explained with the recent update audio system crashes can occur from the OW audio engine. This got fixed recently but this could also be the connection to the horrible sound and no surround sound anymore.