Feature request : private settings

• Hi. I would much want to see possibility to make workshop mode settings private so only an owner could read and change them, can track that by battletag.

Why would that be needed? Well, I’ll give you an example. I guess most people know this basic shop rpg on lijiang tower map made by unknown author(at least I never heard it’s name, did not try to research that on purpose, though). Back in the days, when workshop was a new thing and we were exploring it with enthusiasm, I saw quite a bunch of servers with modification of this rpg mode, but those was modifications made by some poor minded kids which would allow them to play with unfair advantage that most people did not even notice, very simple modification that would just give them times more money/experience, and in the end I even found most hilarious one where owner would add an aimbot that was made through workshop, pretty primitive thing as well.

• So, people actually might need private settings feature alot, not just because they are mean and dont want other people to learn from them or copy parts of their code. Private settings is only a protection from unscrupulous workshop users who could potentially steal something unique and creative just to abuse in any dirty way they could imagine for their ego boosting. And such people are always around, believe me. So basically the idea is that you could still make your mode public, share link to it same way as usual like AG743JKW so people could still copy this line and run servers with these settings but they will not be allowed to change and read what is behind these letters. Reading must not be allowed as well, because with some tiny bit of effort being put in, anyone would still be able to copycat settings manually and get away with it.

Pretty simple feature, I hope to see it being added soon. Cheers.

4 Likes

I agree.

Also, this feature has been requested since workshop was in beta.

I will not agree with you, not in everything.
if someone comes up with something innovative, something that improves code efficiency. then when I see how he did it, I learn it.
I have the opportunity to improve my scripting skills.

you are more concerned with leaky thieves who cannot contain simple information about the author of a given part of the script.

And when it comes to cheats, you are right.
I like to play ZOMBI or REIN BOSS myself, and it’s annoying when someone rewrites the game and adds cheats

if someone comes up with something innovative, something that improves code efficiency. then when I see how he did it, I learn it.
I have the opportunity to improve my scripting skills.

You might not like how it sounds, but it isnt meant by default that everyone’s innovative and bright ideas must be in public access, a master always have some secrets which arent ‘free for everyone’. That is what intellectual property is, in a nutshell. None of people who put significant effort into their code sign an agreement stating that their code will be used for educational purposes, not by default.

1 Like

that’s why 80’s is the golden age of knowledge. everyone share their knowledge, after that people share it by money.

exactly as you say “free for everyone.”

even I sometimes find myself not wanting to share my knowledge, but only because of problems and difficulties in acquiring this knowledge.

Ah yes, ofcourse. We, greedy asses, ask for private settings only because we secretly believe that someone’s gonna pay us for them eventually. And definitely not because as a creative persons, we would like to get some credit for it and not see it being mindlessly cloned and poluted by random people form the street. You see, if I am given with a choice of releasing something worthy in such free to clone manner or let my creation never see the world, I will with no doubt chose second. You can say that you have any possible honest and fair intentions like learning from best but it doesnt change reality of open code being abused.

2 Likes

True.
But i want to believe in that sentence:

“If you want to change the world, first change yourself”

So, could anyone tell maybe, is this forum being tracked by devs who are in charge of workshop or I better try to knock their door on reddit?

This won’t stop people from doing x behavior custom matches, people will just make open versions of similar code. IMO closed source halts improvement and stops people from learning. Open source 4eva!

1 Like

bump (twenty characters)

Honestly, private or even un-editable settings would be nice. I’ve always had paranoia of gamemode thieves. This really is where a lot of my workshop negativity comes from. Because I probably never will (or even shouldn’t) get over it. I just don’t need some guy to claim my game and make it official, or get a group of blind people that bash me for “stealing” it. Thats insulting, to steal a game and get popular for it. Then, there’s when you don’t play your game for a long time, hoping that this miracle update one day comes out… Things get out dated, features old and seemingly the antithesis of the ambition you had that long time ago, you game is lacking qol, or other features that you would have worked on if you were motivated to. But, you don’t see the update. Its especially disappointing as a console player, without ptr, and hoping it will come out, because nobody really talks about workshop updates, as well as other annoying things that should be saved for later.

I have to somewhat disagree with you now. Firstly, I agree there should be some sort of Permanent description which shows the author… HOWEVER.

You’re suggesting no one can change the code… at all. What’s the point of that? It completely eliminates possibilities of ideas from other people’s perspectives, for example, they think x hero is overpowered in this mode and they want to change it. It eliminates the possibility of innovation and such, even if you consider it just a “noob change” or whatever, it’s still a change that could make the game better.

You aren’t doing workshop for the money or anything and it will always stay that way. So once again, how would this be actually useful? This only ensures less fun for the game overall. For example, recently a game “tiny overwatch” has gone viral, it has gone from FFA in tiny room to extra abilities, to skirmish 6v6 and it’s just getting more fun each time. You’re suggesting to completely eliminate these opportunities for innovation.

Finally, how will the devs even do this? Most people have presets saved so it will be impossible to find the original creator of certain modes.

So all I have to say is just have a permanent stamp on a mode which shows the creator.

People who say that private settings option is not needed or its going to somehow ‘harm’ creativity of community seem to not understand simple thing. Which is, big part, and, in my humble opinion, most advanced part of authors will just n e v e r release their work for public if it remain this way. Workshop is pretty simple thing to learn and is way too limited, it is already difficult to treat it seriously. Why would someone then bother to spend time on it if it potentially will be taken by first random stranger and turned into god knows what.

1 Like

So? At least people are having fun and that’s all that matters in the end.
And personally, I would spend time on a project, I have a huge project I’ve been working on (50?+ hours) and wouldn’t care if someone changed it, in fact I’d be pretty happy that people are interested and want to improve it.

If people don’t want to release projects because they don’t want anyone else to have fun that’s their problem.

You would feel honored. And thats what this discussion is all about. People want the honor for all the work they have put into a mode.
The point is, if someone steals your mode after you have finished it and doesnt change much but he claims everywhere possible that he is the original creator of your mode, he will receive all the renown and you have nothing, even though you have put a lot of work into it.
Gamemode X, made by Yourself, edited by Editor – sounds better than:
Gamemode X, made by Trickster

1 Like

It does probably just mean that you fairly admit to yourself that you spent those 50 hours on something completely not unique and not creative, which doesnt even have any significant value for you. And it is wrong to expect same behaviour from everyone.

1 Like

Woah woah woah, lemme stop you there.

That’s why I said I agreed with having a permanent stamp on the mode in my previous post so you’ll get credited for making the actual mode. What Synergy is suggesting is a different story.

Except it is unique, I’ve played no game like it (though I’ve still got a lot to go). You can’t just go assuming things. It has tons of value to me seriously so often I get so bored of working on it but I really want to finish it, I’d just feel honoured if people were taking notice of it.

1 Like

If you were looking at our posts, you would understand our reasoning. But, we forgot the tldr, didn’t we?

Listen, lets stop pretending the loophole in your reasoning isn’t there. We’re assuming that you can save it as a preset/code, right? Or, that you can copy the rules? Aka, ANY size of the code you want? Meaning the ENTIRE script? Just copy the script, transfer it, put a new description, BAM!

Dude… you have to be the biggest hypocrite ever.
I literally said in like 2 of my posts of what you are suggesting.

If people can’t copy the code and paste it for other people to use that means only you will be able to open the gamemode to public, this means hardly anyone will be able to play your gamemode in the first place. Also your taking those 2 quotes above totally out of context.