Farewell and Goodbye to tank duos

Please read the fine print for more information about your car’s extended warranty

1 Like

?

Explain what exactly you mean by this.

Not a problem for the Tank player themselves.

Yeah, pretty disappointing. I’ll miss it. Off tank was my favorite thing about OW. I’m not with solo tanking. Forget that. Which leaves me with…DPS? Dunno. DPS is boring. Mourn tank duos! I’ll miss you, main tanks!

2 Likes

QPC still exist.

So duo tanks still is possible.

Well now you’ll just be endlessly told to play Rein or Sigma instead. Especially if the enemy team has a Rein themselves because constant free shatters will not be fun.

I disagree. It will be a problem for the tank player themselves when:

1. so much as a single teammate decides to not cooperate with them because of their choice of tank. Individual ragers, throwers, and trolls will have greater impact at holding back their team from winning once team sizes are smaller compared to the reduced impact they have now.

2. and…

3. Tank players will have only themselves to fend for their own actions. The rest of their teammates are more likely to gang up against them because they don't have a buddy in the role to back them up or switch around accordingly.
2 Likes

Eh, in my experience in OW2’s beta people are just going to keep blaming the DPS like they always do

I guess we’re not duoing any time soon then :slightly_frowning_face:

People tend to pick on those who are different from them, those who they think they can understand from an outside perspective. I can easily see DPS ganging up on the lone tank. Same with supports. It’s just easier to scapegoat the odd one out.

DPS players and supports each have a buddy in their respective roles, which enables them to each cover for each other’s weaknesses as players. Tank players have only themselves to account for an entire 1/3 of their team’s power (and type of) output in response to what their opponents are running. I foresee tank players being stuck in a hard rock-paper-scissors carousel, around whatever both the enemy team and their own teammates are playing, and one that will tend to prefer whatever is the meta pick for their elo. Whichever team gets the tank that doesn’t swap when needed or is forced onto a hero who they don’t happen to play well is much more likely to be the team that loses compared to when this happens to players in the other role.

1 Like

For double shields to work, you have to use your shield to cover the weaknesses of the other shield. Rein can’t block the front and the back at the same time for example, so you can help him block important damage or give his shield a rest.

That’s basic synergy.

1 Like

Just because a person can make a video doesn’t mean they have an IQ higher than a paperweight.

2 Likes

tank gap seemed to be the biggest issue in the beta for me. every game was junkerqueen diff.

This is going to sound negative towards the thread, so I wanted to start with this preamble to clearly state that I am not trying to be negative. I liked the idea of tank duos a lot.

As someone who played more group queue than solo queue, tank duos were something I’ve experienced a lot. But as you dive further into group queue, tank duos stopped being a fun thing that you could occasionally dip into and started becoming required. Don’t want to get beat down? Then you need to synergize with your other tank.

This is true for the entire team. At a certain point, not synergizing your team was just exposing weaknesses for the other team to exploit. I love that aspect of Overwatch, the being a part of a greater whole, but in tanks in particular it could really force players into situations that they were weak at. Having a tank partner who was mismatched based on skill level to yourself or your opponents could be frustrating for everyone on the team. While I never considered the need to synergize a “problem”, going to a single tank system will remove a lot of frustration, as a single tank doesn’t have to worry about synergizing with their partner.

That in turn allows them more flexibility in dictating the flow of an engagement. There will still be times when lack of judgement will be punished, but honestly having two less things to keep track of (your tank partner and the opponent’s tank partner) makes the moment to moment application of that judgement more accessible. Overwatch, especially Overwatch in an organised environment like group queue, is already difficult enough, especially for tanks.

I’ll miss two tanks, I’ll miss that difficultly and complexity, but I’m excited for a new, more accessible and more flexible approach.

I’d still argue the strength of double barrier was the amount of AntiDive you could put behind the barriers.

Particularly the anti-Dive that ignores Defence Matrix.

Tank synergy has its up and down. When everything works out, it forces a rare comraderie among the 2 Tank players, and it feels great.

However we all know in reality one person would pick a tank and force the hand of the other player. Or both end up picking Hog and Hammond/D.va against Rein+Zarya and the team is instantly put in disadvantage by default.

And the game is less fun when its more about what to pick than how to play.

Double barrier anti-ed against everything, and it was so consistent that even a below/average team could do it with full benefits.

I’d argue that hog/Hammond is (depressingly) viable right now. At least in the environment that the majority of the game is playing in.

It’s two tanks that are practically already in their OW2 form. While counterable, it certainly sucks to face and requires swaps to deal with in a lot of cases.

1 Like

How often do you see it works though? Hog+Hammond is probably viable, but it requires individual skills of not only the 2 Tank players, but also their team who can function without a traditional tank lines (read Shields)

Depends what they’re facing. They can struggle against a poke comp that can just hammer away at those unprotected squishys before the two tanks can cause enough disruption, but I’ve seen it tear apart traditional deathball as the comp is too spread out and disruptive to give a solid target to engage on, and moving to point just gives the comp an easier time shooting you.

I’ve also seen it tear apart dive, though it does require healers who can avoid being dived. Mercy/Moira for example.

This is all group queue stuff though. I’m sure the situation is different in solo queue, where I’m guessing many never learned to function without a traditional barrier.