Experiments with Reaper changes show them to be a nerf

Sounds to me like they only focused on changing Hog while half assing it for Reaper

As always then. I’m just going to rant here. Reaper is labelled and posted over media representation for Overwatch 24/7 and it’s honestly such a shame that one of the most important characters is so terrible. Shadow step is a relic of beta and unusable, and now changes like this which were obviously never tested.

2 Likes

wow, just wow. How could they screw this up? They at least need to reduce the spread a little bit now.

1 Like

It reminds me of the binary change. It was basically a buff at close range, which was unneeded, he is the most dominant hero up close. However, he took a hit to his ranged damage as a result. I was not too happy about that and I guess these changes were just too good to be true. The real problem is that they just reduced the spread randomization instead of just reducing the spread. Oh well, I already made my edgy Reaper one-trick account, it will have to do.

3 Likes

If you put your cross hair perfectly on the buckle under the neck of the robot, you can kill it in 3 shots on ptr. Even if you are slightly above it it’s 4 shots.

Looks sad, but I think this is a good change overall because it will make him easier to balance in the future. They should add more damage or less spread to compensate, but pushing him to a place where he’s more consistent is a healthy move overall.

The interesting part is that Roadhog can now one-shot the bots after hooking pretty consistently. Perhaps both became better at short range and worse at long range?

I agree. I stated this in my OP, it’s a good change. But it’s a nerf, and something needs to be done or he will become even worse.

Maybe, as far as I can tell, not really.

Roadhog did get a spread randomization decrease by 50% too, but his spread pattern was also “adjusted”.

1 Like

As much as this information irks me. This is still technically true. The lifesteal buff was undoubtedly to increase his power against tanks and even with a worse spread he could manage that. The amount of life he gets back presumably ensures he wins the match-up against every tank which was never really the case. He has gotten better and better over time; however, there was a time where he basically only beat Reinhardt, Winston and Zarya. Lul.

1 Like

I wasn’t jumping to conclusions I just proposed something.

I think that at this point the best thing to do is trying to trace the various pellets from a series of shot (like 3-5-10 shots), this should give an approximation of the actual area that gets covered.

While being made more consistent it might also have set around a larger spread as a form of compensation (which might have been esagerated if the result is net decrease in dps).

As a self-suggested change I don’t think this should be reverted. It’s a good change and it’s key in identifying what he needs. He’s more consistent (very minorly) at the 0-5m range, but anything beyond that he is worse. He needs something now, it’s clear.

1 Like

Eh, I prefer the revert as expecting adjustments more or less never happens. However, in general, if they just reduce the spread or increase his range a bit, I would be happy. A lot of people are opposed to Reaper dealing slightly more consistent damage at range, but as long as he is only usable at 5 meters, he is always going to be trash. It is as simple as that, really. Not sure why an effective range of 10 meters would break him. But that is a great fear of the “shotguns can only be used in melee range” crowd that exists in literally every game.

You know, OP might be onto something. They adjusted the spread randomization for Torbjorn too, and his shotgun has felt awful to me, even accounting for the reduced damage per shot.

At first I thought this was making fun of those new Mercy threads…

1 Like

Ok, I see OP’s Point.

That looks like a super weird spread. I thought it was that you had 50% of the pellets concentrated in the center while the rest of the spread was random.

It does seem that his range is being cut down further. Weird way to try to fix his randomness to say the least.

Edit: Doesn’t that make sense? I mean he would always be guaranteed at least 50% of his pellets hitting if his aim was good.

1 Like

Nope, Its a reaper thread, so lets not derail it :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Please join us on the:
Mercy buff was insulting movement

/s please don’t hurt me

Gotta say I’m honestly dissapointed, and hope this is all unintentional. I was really excited about these changes too.

1 Like

He’s got a TTK of 1.5 secs on 200 HP target at ten meters though…